$160 Smart Focal Reducer (Viltrox)

Matthew Robert Mahaffey

Is this good?? I'm deciding if I want a lens turbo ii or this. https://www.amazon.com/VILTROX-EF-E-Auto-focus-Adapter-Metabones/dp/B015OJ3R9M/ref=s9_simh_gw_g421_i1_r?_encoding=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=1HFW30NAGNWK3QF517ZK&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1cded295-23b4-40b1-8da6-7c1c9eb81d33&pf_rd_i=desktop 

Its a smart adapter and from the very minimal things on youtube it looks good to me. I only want the smart features so I can adjust aperture and have IS with my canon lenses. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well it's not that they don't work, it is that they work with compromises. They don't work with all lenses, the quality of the glass in the unit is not as high of standard as Metabones, on and on.

If you can live with those well sure it is a cheap out. I admit Metabones is, in this day and age, probably ripping us off total cost wise. But I have never seen a cheaper one as good as a Metabones, and I doubt we ever will.

Bottom line, output will not look as good. And since most people are using a video camera that does not have a top output to start with, well you get my point.

But we can't have the best of everything, so we Have to cut corners, and maybe you are right, this is one way to do that. Decisions, decisions.

Oh, and when I see a Amazon rating of 3.6, yeah 3.6! I MIGHT want to look elsewhere. They might know what I expect, Not So Good.

I 'm using this Viltrox speedbooster with A6300 and with Canon 24-105 F4 IS USM, 50 1.4, 70-200 F4, 17-40 F4

The good: Image stabilisation works perfectly, aperture change from the body works perfectly, FOV is almost fullframe, i have infinity focus even with the 50 1.4. Fairly usable AF with 24-105, 70-200 and 17-40 in photo mode.

The bad: dark extreme corners in photo mode (in video mode it's cropped out due to 16:9 sensor crop). AF cant lock with 50 1.4. Very rarely the adapter cant recognise the lens (on/off solves it). In video mode none of the lenses above can lock focus, just hunting.

For the price the adapter is awesome, works really well with canon lenses (if you used to film in manual) and working IS! If you want to take pictures you can use AF with some of the lenses with a little corner shading.

In conclusion i recommend this adapter, and i really like it.

On 3/20/2017 at 5:33 AM, Deadcode said:

I 'm using this Viltrox speedbooster with A6300 and with Canon 24-105 F4 IS USM, 50 1.4, 70-200 F4, 17-40 F4

The good: Image stabilisation works perfectly, aperture change from the body works perfectly, FOV is almost fullframe, i have infinity focus even with the 50 1.4. Fairly usable AF with 24-105, 70-200 and 17-40 in photo mode.

The bad: dark extreme corners in photo mode (in video mode it's cropped out due to 16:9 sensor crop). AF cant lock with 50 1.4. Very rarely the adapter cant recognise the lens (on/off solves it). In video mode none of the lenses above can lock focus, just hunting.

For the price the adapter is awesome, works really well with canon lenses (if you used to film in manual) and working IS! If you want to take pictures you can use AF with some of the lenses with a little corner shading.

In conclusion i recommend this adapter, and i really like it.

How much does it degrade the video quality if at all? are highlights blown? Shadows worse? Sharpness degraded? 

I think it does not degrade video quailty with consumer level gear. With every booster the sharpness is better with booster compared to normal adapter with the same lens. I dont understand what you mean with highlights/shadows, it's inappropiate question, this is not a 10$ plastic adaptert.

You can see a comparison here where i tested the 5D2 + 50mm F1.4@1.4 vs A6300 + boosted 50 F1.4@1.0

On ‎19‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 11:24 AM, Matthew Robert Mahaffey said:

Is this good?? I'm deciding if I want a lens turbo ii or this. https://www.amazon.com/VILTROX-EF-E-Auto-focus-Adapter-Metabones/dp/B015OJ3R9M/ref=s9_simh_gw_g421_i1_r?_encoding=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=1HFW30NAGNWK3QF517ZK&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1cded295-23b4-40b1-8da6-7c1c9eb81d33&pf_rd_i=desktop 

Its a smart adapter and from the very minimal things on youtube it looks good to me. I only want the smart features so I can adjust aperture and have IS with my canon lenses. 

You still want the focal reduction?      If not and it is ONLY the smart adapter functions, there are a gazillion different smart adapters for EF to E mount that don't have glass at all and so just use the lens as is and IS works great.       AF is going to be slow with most cameras and effectively AFS only with just about all.

Some combinations will not work for AF and some third party lenses might have problems as well with some combinations (from my experience with an A7 and A7s and four different adapters from cheap to a MB).

Some EF to E smart adapters are less than $100.

I have a Lens Turbo for EF to M4/3 and while it has its uses with some Canon lenses for the most part it is for third party lenses with mechanical aperture and focus.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...