Panasonic GH5 starts shipping in 3 days. How's the 180fps slow-mo quality?

Andrew Reid

58 minutes ago, sqm said:

Hey Guys,

The gh4 had an option to send downscaled 4k to HD through HDMI, im curious if its possible with gh5 from 4k 60p to HD.

I´d like to record Prores on the 5 inch VideoAssist.

I sold my 5inch Video Assist after ecording both GH4 and G7 on it.
The files from GH4 were not really better then internal, the G7's were a lot worst. I tried on a second unity, same results. Not the same thing on an Atomos... so I sold it... (just my personal experience, nothing scientific).  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 minutes ago, JazzBox said:

I sold my 5inch Video Assist after ecording both GH4 and G7 on it.
The files from GH4 were not really better then internal, the G7's were a lot worst. I tried on a second unity, same results. Not the same thing on an Atomos... so I sold it... (just my personal experience, nothing scientific).  

I´m not looking for the better quality, i just love prores and how smooth it is to edit and i don´t want to add a render step to my post.

Bad to hear that it is worse with the G7, anyone also noticed something like this?

Thank you for your info JazzBox :)

10 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Yeah, it's really no use to fanboy over any brand, just use what works best. If someone claims something and you cannot relate or can even de-bunk it... then well, there you go. That said, Panasonic just kills it in terms of features, usability, reliability and affordability, that even Sony can't touch. I'm open to a good APS-C mirrorless system, but I've yet to find one that's as attractive as the Panasonic and Olympus eco systems where you just everything you'd want in a camera and system, including native 'n compact lens options and adaptability in combination with sensor stabilization and other body functionality that's a dream (vari-angle (frontfacing) touchscreen, dual cardslot, both mic-in and headphone ports, dual cardslot, weathersealing incl. freezeproof, highly reduced rolling shutter effect, etc). Yeah, you can blame the sensor... not enough dynamic range... improved but not super flexible high ISO noise performance... but as has been said before... not each scene has to have tons of dynamic range and you can and should light your scenes. It's hardly any different with an actual cinema camera like one from Blackmagic (which does have that insane DR and color advantage however).

The more I've used these cameras, from FF to APS-C to 4/3rds, the differences in overall PQ, are, IMO, not as great as some make them out to be. Sure there are low light differences, DR differences (that I personally think are, in practical use, not all that significant), some resolution differences etc., but the better cameras are really so close in overall PQ, that they're closer in quality than they are further apart. Personally I see a greater difference in OOC color than anything else.

So I think there's some validity in saying it's the features, ergonomics and overall usability that may trump overall PQ performance. YMMV.

10 minutes ago, sqm said:

I´m not looking for the better quality, i just love prores and how smooth it is to edit and i don´t want to add a render step to my post.

Bad to hear that it is worse with the G7, anyone also noticed something like this?

Thank you for your info JazzBox :)

I tried on my G7 with my VA, and after the bad experience I tried with the same units from a colleague, also changing HDMI cable.
When recorded on the VA the G7 had a strong noise pattern. Not on the Atomos. But I cannot afford the Atomos, so I'm recording on SD and I'm very happy with the G7 (the only drawback is that you cannot use HDMI for monitoring, you can only record, while with GH4 you can do it). 

Anyway I'm a big fan of Lumix quality, even if I love the BlackMagic ProRes from Micro Cinema Camera, which I sold for the unpractical (for me) workflow. 

For the way I work, GH4 (which I sold in order to buy the GH5), G7 etc... are the best way and I love them.

I think that shooting with @andy lee settings you have the freedom to do pretty much what you want in post.

I tried to match G7 files with BlackMagic Micro (straight from the card) files in 5 minutes

I just can imagine what you can do with the new GH5 and a solid V-Log! :)

p.s.: Andy, what about GH5's 24p ProRes files playback/preview without transcoding? I tried Luke Neumann's files and I cannot played them in preview. Thank you! :)

4 hours ago,  Miklos Nemeth said: 

"As in the original article A. Reid writes "Don’t expect much in the way from AF in video mode. Dual Pixel AF it is not." This is definitely a show-stopper in 2017 for many of us. Sony/Canon has the technology for three years now, and it works brilliantly. No way I am going back to "stone age" just because Panasonic is not willing to embrace usable video AF. This is not a professional camera, guys, the GH5 is just enthusiast/consumer gear. No usable video AF, no magnification while recording? What the hell Panasonic is thinking. Definitely, I'll give it a try, but I am not really willing to pay 2000EUR for no AF videocamera, no way."

Well I think stating the camera has 'no usable video AF' and it's a 'no AF videocamera' is a whole lot of hyperbole. Why do I say that? I've used a G85 for a while now and its AF is at least a step below the GH5's and yet it's quite usable. Is it as good as the A7Rii or A6300 I've used? No. Is it usable? Most definitely. As with most other aspects of a camera, you need to learn a feature's strengths & weaknesses. The AF is no different.

On 3/19/2017 at 9:09 AM, Ken Ross said:

I did notice the A6500's color was somewhat better than my A6300 or any of A7xx series, but not enough to keep me. It's interesting that most reviews I've read don't even point to the improved color in the A6500. To me it was pretty obvious.

I still think Sony has a lot of work to do to catch up to where the GH5 is.

I noticed the improved color myself---and really improved skin tones on the a6500. I was all set to hate the color like I have with every other Sony product--and then, ba-da-boom, lovely skin tones with their standard profile with only minor tweaking. Is it as good as Canon? Not hardly, but, so far, it is damned good.

Since I don't use any native Sony glass I wasn't really aware there was no improvement in with both internal and lens stabilization. There is a noticeable improvement with the Panasonic dual stabilization. None the less, because I don't use Sony glass I can see only advantage in the Sony internal stabilization--and it does work really, really well on Rokinon cinema lenses, Sigmas, etc. and the all-important speed boosters. The increased flexibility provided by the speed booster makes the APS-C sensor superior to the full-frame in so many important ways. 

I'm also really impressed with the image quality over all. And, you know, once the Sony buttons are programmed the way you want it is very ergonomic---except for the menu button in that ridiculous place, and the all but useless Movie play button on the side. Why can't they let you program the Movie play button to be the shutter button like Panasonic does? 

45 minutes ago, JazzBox said:

I tried on my G7 with my VA, and after the bad experience I tried with the same units from a colleague, also changing HDMI cable.
When recorded on the VA the G7 had a strong noise pattern. Not on the Atomos. But I cannot afford the Atomos, so I'm recording on SD and I'm very happy with the G7 (the only drawback is that you cannot use HDMI for monitoring, you can only record, while with GH4 you can do it). 

Anyway I'm a big fan of Lumix quality, even if I love the BlackMagic ProRes from Micro Cinema Camera, which I sold for the unpractical (for me) workflow. 

For the way I work, GH4 (which I sold in order to buy the GH5), G7 etc... are the best way and I love them.

I think that shooting with @andy lee settings you have the freedom to do pretty much what you want in post.

I tried to match G7 files with BlackMagic Micro (straight from the card) files in 5 minutes

I just can imagine what you can do with the new GH5 and a solid V-Log! :)

p.s.: Andy, what about GH5's 24p ProRes files playback/preview without transcoding? I tried Luke Neumann's files and I cannot played them in preview. Thank you! :)

Nice test, i guess A is the BM :)

Love the bmmcc, shoot with it most of the time, but the handling sucks!

Thats why i have an eye on the gh5.

Since the discussion was leaning towards AF, I found this new 4K60p sample. For the first 1/2 of the video, the AF generally works well, especially considering the busy background. In the 2nd half, as the subject turns his back to the camera, focus is lost on him and directed toward the background as expected (the shooter used face detection). Once the subject stopped, acquisition on his face was wonky, but honestly, given how this second shot was performed, this poor behavior was not much different than I've experienced with both the A7Rii and A6300 in similar situations.

As is true with so many of these videos, we have no idea what firmware version this was. Oh, and I'm sorry about his narration. ;)

2 hours ago, Cinegain said:

That's kinda what I thought. V-Log key kinda makes sense, but some talk around here made me 2nd guess that. That they don't offer the new 12-35mm II in a kit kinda surprises me. Maybe the new 12-35mm II isn't ready for the market when the GH5 hits the shelves. Of course getting the kit would make it like 200 bucks cheaper, so that was something I was willing to consider. ;)

Don't know about other countries but I don't believe the GH5 will be available in any kit form in the US...as per a conversation with B&H last week....maybe after they sell 200, 000 of them in New York alone Panny will change that?:glasses:

1 hour ago, tomsemiterrific said:

I noticed the improved color myself---and really improved skin tones on the a6500. I was all set to hate the color like I have with every other Sony product--and then, ba-da-boom, lovely skin tones with their standard profile with only minor tweaking. Is it as good as Canon? Not hardly, but, so far, it is damned good.

Since I don't use any native Sony glass I wasn't really aware there was no improvement in with both internal and lens stabilization. There is a noticeable improvement with the Panasonic dual stabilization. None the less, because I don't use Sony glass I can see only advantage in the Sony internal stabilization--and it does work really, really well on Rokinon cinema lenses, Sigmas, etc. and the all-important speed boosters. The increased flexibility provided by the speed booster makes the APS-C sensor superior to the full-frame in so many important ways. 

I'm also really impressed with the image quality over all. And, you know, once the Sony buttons are programmed the way you want it is very ergonomic---except for the menu button in that ridiculous place, and the all but useless Movie play button on the side. Why can't they let you program the Movie play button to be the shutter button like Panasonic does? 

You can't reassign the record button? 

23 minutes ago, Davey said:

Not to the shutter button. I think you could to the Fn buttons but then typically you would want those for something else.

It's pure foolishness. Pressing the shutter button in video mode just gives you a "This function is disabled in video mode" or something the like pop-up message.

34 minutes ago, Phil A said:

Not to the shutter button. I think you could to the Fn buttons but then typically you would want those for something else.

It's pure foolishness. Pressing the shutter button in video mode just gives you a "This function is disabled in video mode" or something the like pop-up message.

Ah, right. I have my C1 as video record, C2 as WB Temp and don't need anything else - I just keep the menu on 1/5 for PPs and ISO is just 'right' on the D-pad.

But then my brain cannot handle much more than that lol - especially when running around like a sweaty lunatic at weddings.

I agree that there is much foolishness where Sony menus and function priorities are concerned. For a showcase video camera like the a7sii to have a video button designed only to be used by velociraptors or other similarly claw owning creatures, is nothing short of ridiculous.

Cinema5d took down its gh5 review?   At last, they did something decent for the community....  On another note "wolfcrow" has a great video on youtube talking about the GH5, 10-bit and the release codec.. His conclusions make much sense 

5 hours ago, Davey said:

Yes, you can reassign the record button to lots of other buttons,....but you can't reassign it to the shutter button....even when you're in movie mode----unless someone knows better than I.

On the Panasonic G85 you can use the shutter button to snap to focus and then record video in video mode. Then, in the other modes the shutter is dedicated to photos and the little red button near it is video---which you can assign to other buttons as well

But Sony, apparently, won't allow you to program the video start/stop to the shutter button--even in dedicated video mode.

I hope I'm wrong---someone. Enlighten me.