Panasonic GH5 starts shipping in 3 days. How's the 180fps slow-mo quality?

Andrew Reid

I think even if you were to believe there's some hyperbole in Andy's statement, due to some 'nefarious' manufacturer's connection, it's surely not a stretch to concur with his thought that the GH5 has leaped ahead of the competition. And let's be honest, since we're talking about video, that competition is called Sony. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

t's a different sensor, you just need to look at the megapixel count (16 vs 20)

There is a difference between 8bit and 10bit of course.

Cinema5D's 'precise testing' wasn't so precise and they took it offline.

How's it under your rock by the way? Cozy?

We all like to dream, but when dreaming ends, it might be just a better, another Lumix with a usual Panasonic image :) I wish it would be vice versa.

26 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

I think even if you were to believe there's some hyperbole in Andy's statement, due to some 'nefarious' manufacturer's connection, it's surely not a stretch to concur with his thought that the GH5 has leaped ahead of the competition. And let's be honest, since we're talking about video, that competition is called Sony. 

Yeah, it's really no use to fanboy over any brand, just use what works best. If someone claims something and you cannot relate or can even de-bunk it... then well, there you go. That said, Panasonic just kills it in terms of features, usability, reliability and affordability, that even Sony can't touch. I'm open to a good APS-C mirrorless system, but I've yet to find one that's as attractive as the Panasonic and Olympus eco systems where you just everything you'd want in a camera and system, including native 'n compact lens options and adaptability in combination with sensor stabilization and other body functionality that's a dream (vari-angle (frontfacing) touchscreen, dual cardslot, both mic-in and headphone ports, dual cardslot, weathersealing incl. freezeproof, highly reduced rolling shutter effect, etc). Yeah, you can blame the sensor... not enough dynamic range... improved but not super flexible high ISO noise performance... but as has been said before... not each scene has to have tons of dynamic range and you can and should light your scenes. It's hardly any different with an actual cinema camera like one from Blackmagic (which does have that insane DR and color advantage however).

The GH5 being used to shoot 'serious movies' isn't so inconceivable to me. The 10 bit 4:2:2 4K make it a good option for very low budget films that are hoping to eventually get picked up by platforms that are seeking out or require 4K content. Yeah, it's no Alexa, but it's $2000. 

On that note, if you know what you're doing, pretty much any recent camera can be used to make decent theatrical content these days. This was shot on two GH4s: 

4 hours ago, Chrad said:

The GH5 being used to shoot 'serious movies' isn't so inconceivable to me. The 10 bit 4:2:2 4K make it a good option for very low budget films that are hoping to eventually get picked up by platforms that are seeking out or require 4K content. Yeah, it's no Alexa, but it's $2000. 

On that note, if you know what you're doing, pretty much any recent camera can be used to make decent theatrical content these days. This was shot on two GH4s: 

Hey, my production company made this! Thanks for posting. :) The movie will be released this year on VOD. 

Zak is another great film maker who uses Panny cameras to make films he delivers to platforms . this is precisely the point I'm making ....these cameras in the right talented hands can make great looking movies ,  the GH5 takes us all to the next level and gives us an even better image we can use to deliver to Netflix Amazon Prime Hulu etc .

8 minutes ago, Miklos Nemeth said:

As in the original article A. Reid writes "Don’t expect much in the way from AF in video mode. Dual Pixel AF it is not." This is definitely a show-stopper in 2017 for many of us. Sony/Canon has the technology for three years now, and it works brilliantly. No way I am going back to "stone age" just because Panasonic is not willing to embrace usable video AF. This is not a professional camera, guys, the GH5 is just enthusiast/consumer gear. No usable video AF, no magnification while recording? What the hell Panasonic is thinking. Definitely, I'll give it a try, but I am not really willing to pay 2000EUR for no AF videocamera, no way.

I can respect that. If you need the best AF and magnification while recording, the GH5 isn't for you. But what do you mean when you say, "Definitely, I'll give it a try"? It sounds a bit like you're not sure of yourself. Excuse me while I go to the pharmacy for my medication.

34 minutes ago, andy lee said:

....these cameras in the right talented hands can make great looking movies ,  the GH5 takes us all to the next level and gives us an even better image we can use to deliver to Netflix Amazon Prime Hulu etc .

This same mantra has been reiterated countless times for years on every moving image forum by the typical propagators.  The gh5, while it is a progression in the gh line, does not "take us all to the next level". As for Netflix etc... One can use just about any camera they like, unless its an actual Netflix production. In that case the Gh5 won't qualify for use, as material must be both 4k+ and "raw" originated according to the white paper and forum posters who have experience in the matter.

17 hours ago, andy lee said:

This camera is a serious piece of movie making kit Panasonic have jumped leaps ahead of the competition with the GH5 , you can shoot serious movies to deliver to Netflix and Amazon Prime on this camera with out having to go to an Alexa or Red Epic/Dragon , it puts a lot of cinema camera features into the Gh5 at a superb price

Relax dude, trying to tell anybody that a gh5 will be a good replacement for an Arri or Red doesn´t make you very credible...

The Grand Tour is on Amazon Prime and features GH4s already. Of course because you can cram it in just about anywhere, but still. :tounge_wink:

1 hour ago, Miklos Nemeth said:

As in the original article A. Reid writes "Don’t expect much in the way from AF in video mode. Dual Pixel AF it is not." This is definitely a show-stopper in 2017 for many of us. Sony/Canon has the technology for three years now, and it works brilliantly. No way I am going back to "stone age" just because Panasonic is not willing to embrace usable video AF. This is not a professional camera, guys, the GH5 is just enthusiast/consumer gear. No usable video AF, no magnification while recording? What the hell Panasonic is thinking. Definitely, I'll give it a try, but I am not really willing to pay 2000EUR for no AF videocamera, no way.

If anything. It's the other way around. Take the whole YouTube vlogger crowd. They don't know and care about getting to know settings and principles of filmmaking, they just want to hit record and go. That's the reason Canon isn't actually quite dead yet. Vloggers pick up a G7X (Mark II), 80D or god forbid, the EOS-M5 Creator Kit and they know they're: getting pleasing colors right of the bat and know autofocus doesn't hunts around, but smoothly transitions (it doesn't however always lock on, mind you). They dump the footage on the computer and rather than taking flat footage and correcting and grading it, maybe the most they'll do is throw on a curve with some post sharpening and start editing the timeline. Professionals shooting a RED/ARRI/etc don't rely on camera's autofocus systems. You'd rather have someone pulling focus either directly or remotely. AF is a sign of convenience, not of professionalism.

18 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

The Grand Tour is on Amazon Prime and features GH4s already. Of course because you can cram it in just about anywhere, but still. :tounge_wink:

If anything. It's the other way around. Take the whole YouTube vlogger crowd. They don't know and care about getting to know settings and principles of filmmaking, they just want to hit record and go. That's the reason Canon isn't actually quite dead yet. Vloggers pick up a G7X (Mark II), 80D or god forbid, the EOS-M5 Creator Kit and they know they're: getting pleasing colors right of the bat and know autofocus doesn't hunts around, but smoothly transitions (it doesn't however always lock on, mind you). They dump the footage on the computer and rather than taking flat footage and correcting and grading it, maybe the most they'll do is throw on a curve with some post sharpening and start editing the timeline. Professionals shooting a RED/ARRI/etc don't rely on camera's autofocus systems. You'd rather have someone pulling focus either directly or remotely. AF is a sign of convenience, not of professionalism.

i don't think you can accuse someone who's uploaded over thirty videos of Hungarian bagpipe music and a 1/2 dozen iPhone videos to YouTube of being unprofessional.

32 minutes ago, sqm said:

Hey Guys,

The gh4 had an option to send downscaled 4k to HD through HDMI, im curious if its possible with gh5 from 4k 60p to HD.

I´d like to record Prores on the 5 inch VideoAssist.

I would just record 10 bit 1080p60 through the HDMI, because this time around it looks like quality will be exactly the same. The videodslr.pl tests show the exact same rolling shutter for UHD and HD, which suggests the 1080p image is simply an in camera downscale. The resolution to my eyes looks identical in 1080p. 

7 minutes ago, Chrad said:

I would just record 10 bit 1080p60 through the HDMI, because this time around it looks like quality will be exactly the same. The videodslr.pl tests show the exact same rolling shutter for UHD and HD, which suggests the 1080p image is simply an in camera downscale. The resolution to my eyes looks identical in 1080p. 

Thank you, nice info :)

30 minutes ago, Jn- said:

[..]

I understand the vlog licence for GH4 cannot be used on GH5 ... The 2 lens kits so far are only for the 2 12-60mm lens + body only.

That's kinda what I thought. V-Log key kinda makes sense, but some talk around here made me 2nd guess that. That they don't offer the new 12-35mm II in a kit kinda surprises me. Maybe the new 12-35mm II isn't ready for the market when the GH5 hits the shelves. Of course getting the kit would make it like 200 bucks cheaper, so that was something I was willing to consider. ;)