Panasonic GH5 starts shipping in 3 days. How's the 180fps slow-mo quality?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
19 minutes ago, andy lee said:

You can also upload your own LUTs into the camera , a very useful feature to have.

This is absolutely great. Does this feature get enabled with V-LOG only, or is it already in there? Does it just change the output of the LCD or is there an option to bake the look into the recording?

It would be useful not just for LOG but for tweaking the Panasonic standard Rec.709 colour science AKA EOSHD Pro Color.

10 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

This is absolutely great. Does this feature get enabled with V-LOG only, or is it already in there? Does it just change the output of the LCD or is there an option to bake the look into the recording?

It would be useful not just for LOG but for tweaking the Panasonic standard Rec.709 colour science AKA EOSHD Pro Color.

I was just looking at the specs at Panasonic's website and it seems it comes with the Vlog update... I assume it's just for preview purposes, but it isn't specific. 

This camera is a serious piece of movie making kit Panasonic have jumped leaps ahead of the competition with the GH5 , you can shoot serious movies to deliver to Netflix and Amazon Prime on this camera with out having to go to an Alexa or Red Epic/Dragon , it puts a lot of cinema camera features into the Gh5 at a superb price

4 hours ago, Ken Ross said:

I actually had an A6500 and returned it for precisely the IBIS issue I mentioned. I had an A6300 since its release, and the A6500, with its IBIS, was no better with Sony OIS lenses than the A6300 was with those same lenses. IOW, the IBIS added nothing to what was already there in the stabilized lenses. Yes, for non-stabilized lenses the A6500 is a real plus, but when you compare it to a camera like the A6300 with stabilized lenses, it's really no better. That was a big disappointment, as the Sonys have always been prone to jitter, especially at longer focal lengths. 

I did notice the A6500's color was somewhat better than my A6300 or any of A7xx series, but not enough to keep me. It's interesting that most reviews I've read don't even point to the improved color in the A6500. To me it was pretty obvious.

I still think Sony has a lot of work to do to catch up to where the GH5 is.

That's interesting, what lenses did you use? 

The IBIS seems very active with the 18-105mm, very stabilised and much better than the A7SII. 

Looking forward to see how the GH5 develops. I'm "off" cameras the the moment but a tool like this is exciting for the independent community.

56 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

That's interesting, what lenses did you use? 

The IBIS seems very active with the 18-105mm, very stabilised and much better than the A7SII. 

Looking forward to see how the GH5 develops. I'm "off" cameras the the moment but a tool like this is exciting for the independent community.

Oliver, the testing I did was with the Sony OIS 18-200 lens. I'm often puzzled by those that do these tests with short focal length lenses. You can't tell the 'real' effectiveness of the IBIS until you get into the longer focal lengths. So if I shot with this lens on the A6300 at, say 200mm, and then shot with the same lens, at the same focal length on the A6500, there was virtually no differences. IOW the 6500's IBIS added little to nothing over the effectiveness of the OIS already in the lens. Hence there was no stabilization advantage to the 6500 with these OIS lenses. 

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Looking forward to you getting this camera Andrew and also the EOSHD Pro Color & Shooters Guide!....LOL between you and Leeming and Luke I will have quite the collection of profiles for this Bad Boy!

2 hours ago, Daniel Joseph said:

Wasn't that the feeling about the GH4 until the A7S came out? 

In many ways the GH4 is still better than the A7Sii. Sony's sensor is amazing, but everything else is bad. Panasonics are wonderfully usable and reliable cameras.

It's true though, the merry go-round of better and better cameras never ends.

I have been very interested in this feature and it is mentioned more in the manual on page 186. Basically the lut you upload has to be in .vlt format which is a shame as most of my luts are in .cube format. Luckily with software like lutcalc out there you can convert your existing .cubes to .vlts to then Import in cam. You can also export luts from davinci resolve into the required .vlt format. I have purchased the vlog code for the gh5 and should be getting one Wednesday so will try this out!

At the moment it is not baked Into the footage, just used for preview but still not sure if the preview overlay stays on while your recording.. yes you will need the vlog code to use this, the existing gh4 vlog code can be bought which will work with the gh5.

i believe you can store upto 4 luts at a time on the camera.

This page explains more about activating the vlog on gh5 and also supplies you with the official Panasonic Varicam lut in various formats , including vlt to use with the GH5.

http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/enhance/gh5/index.html

If anyone needs any help converting their existing .cube luts to the required .vlt let me know as I have spent all weekend working out how to do this and convert my own batch of fave .cubes to .vlt

Here is the link to the manual if needed

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/dscoi/DC-GH5/EG_EC_EF_EB/DC-GH5_DVQP1121ZA_eng.pdf

There is no option to bake LUT into the footage - for now. But hopefully if enough people ask for it, there will be. I've asked around and this is something some of the Lumix ambassadors were also talking with Panasonic.

As far as I know for now, all you can do is to convert a LUT to Varicam .vlt and use it, the function is called V-log L View Assist and it only works in V-log L and although it would be very interesting if Panasonic could open that option for other picture profiles, I doubt they will.

But the ability to select, preview and bake a LUT in-camera would be very useful and welcomed.

7 hours ago, andy lee said:

we are getting into Alexa type quality looking footage now

Thanks for your opinion, Andy Lee, though it is a highly subjective rating. Let me ask:

1. How are we getting into Alexa image quality?

2. What is the dynamic range of GH5?

3. Does it have the same sensor as GX80/85?

'Cinema5d' somehow didn't find any real advantage between 8bit and 10bit after the precise testing.

Since I'm really interested in GH5, waiting for your footages and further real world reviews.

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, 7 Lakes said:

3. Does it have the same sensor as GX80/85?

It's a different sensor, you just need to look at the megapixel count (16 vs 20)

There is a difference between 8bit and 10bit of course.

Cinema5D's 'precise testing' wasn't so precise and they took it offline.

How's it under your rock by the way? Cozy?

8 hours ago, andy lee said:

This camera is a serious piece of movie making kit Panasonic have jumped leaps ahead of the competition with the GH5 , you can shoot serious movies to deliver to Netflix and Amazon Prime on this camera with out having to go to an Alexa or Red Epic/Dragon , it puts a lot of cinema camera features into the Gh5 at a superb price

Really! I am seriously concerned with the posting of a purely subjective statement like this from someone who is a "PANASONIC AMBASSADOR" [caps from the guy's own avatar]. Other statements from this source are also of similar quality. This is pure PR, complete with hyperbole. I am not saying it is not true, but that this is the type of stuff that demeans this forum. I appreciate that the conflict of interest is at least visible. On the substance - no other camera available at around the GH5 price enables one to shoot "serious movies."? Alexa quality? In fact this statement led to look at his others, and there are post after post of "game changer" and other PR phrases. I am NOT suggesting any censoring, just an expression of distaste. We all can get enthusiastic, and revel in others' enthusiasm, but not from someone who is not receiving gifts from manufacturers.

I do appreciate that the GH5 has important features that put pressure on competitors, and so I welcome its introduction. But I think the small sensor (MFT) will ultimately doom this type of camera for "serious" moviemaking. That is subjective too, but not based on who is supplying me with equipment or paying my bills. It should be clear I am neither an ambassador, or a diplomat! :).

I can't wait to shoot with this amazing piece of gear!

It would be great if Panasonic could add framing guides for 1.85:1, 2.39:1 etc... and a good 1080 wi-fi stream in order to have a nice monitoring on iPad / iPhone etc... 
I betat tested "Scopes", a nice app for full screen monitoring on iPad, but the signal is low quality, so it is not good for focus pulling.

I tried Luke Neumann's files and I had some problem playing 24p and 30p footage without transcoding: do you know if it will be possible to play/preview them normally like with GH4? 

Thank you!

1 hour ago, markr041 said:

Really! I am seriously concerned with the posting of a purely subjective statement like this from someone who is a "PANASONIC AMBASSADOR" [caps from the guy's own avatar]. Other statements from this source are also of similar quality. This is pure PR, complete with hyperbole. I am not saying it is not true, but that this is the type of stuff that demeans this forum. I appreciate that the conflict of interest is at least visible. On the substance - no other camera available at around the GH5 price enables one to shoot "serious movies."? Alexa quality? In fact this statement led to look at his others, and there are post after post of "game changer" and other PR phrases. I am NOT suggesting any censoring, just an expression of distaste. We all can get enthusiastic, and revel in others' enthusiasm, but not from someone who is not receiving gifts from manufacturers.

I do appreciate that the GH5 has important features that put pressure on competitors, and so I welcome its introduction. But I think the small sensor (MFT) will ultimately doom this type of camera for "serious" moviemaking. That is subjective too, but not based on who is supplying me with equipment or paying my bills. It should be clear I am neither an ambassador, or a diplomat! :).

He's genuinely excited about the value of these Lumix cameras. Just as he is excited about Metabones Speedboosters, Contax Zeiss lenses and other lenses such as the Nikon 'Bourne' zooms or low contrast Tokina RMC optics. Instead of just being openly excited about these things, he had the chance to get involved in some degree. Doesn't mean he sold his soul to the highest bidder and agreed to bring us the Lumix gospel regardless of what it stands for. He's still advocating the same genuine opinion and recommendations he's already had before, so nothing has effectively changed except for perhaps a little influence in pointing the company further in the right direction? I friggin' respect the guy, he's great, skilled and knowledgeable! :grin:

__

Regarding the V-LOG Key... when upgrading the GH4 to the GH5, you do need a new one, right? Or is it 1x per model type?

Does anyone know if there will be a kit with new 12-35mm f/2.8 II zoom? I expected so, but, haven't seen it listed anywhere, also no like DMC-GH5A product designator for it?