Panasonic 12-60 vs Olympus 12-40 on GH5?

Ki Rin

6 hours ago, jonpais said:

Not talking about sheep, I'm talking about the extraordinary Olympus 75mm f/1.8, one of the best telephoto lenses in the m43 system. As for needing a sherpa, I can fit my Leica 42.5mm f/1.2, Leica 12mm f/1.4, Oly 25mm f/1.2 and Oly 75mm f/1.8 in a tiny handbag. No need for an assistant! Actually, for those who already own one a Panny or Oly wide zoom, you'd be better off getting the Olympus 75mm f/1.8 if you need the extra reach, rather than buying another zoom.

I agree here.  I'm paring the PL15/1.7 with the P42.5/1.7 or O75/1.8 for indoor use and the P2.8 zooms for outdoor day events where I can't really open up past 2.8 with NDs anyway.  I also use the Voigtlander 17.5 and 42.5 f/0.95 pair if the venue is really dim and I cannot use lights and I have time for manual focus.  Otherwise it is M+AF-S with the auto-focus lenses which I find quite handy to get around the lower-resolution GX80 EVF.  (Still debating trading in the Voigtlanders for the PL12/1.4 and PL42.5/1.2 for lower light).  

The other day I went to shoot some sports and filled a peak design backpack with two GX80, P35-100/2.8, O9-18 wide zoom, PL15/1.7, PL100-400 (that didn't really need), plus audio equipment, chargers, laptop, external drives, tripod, monopod, clothes, etc.  Just amazed that all that including two decent 4k cameras and lenses that can cover 18-800mm (in full frame terms) could fit in a carry on.  Despite the siren songs from Sony or Fuji, the small bodies, lenses, and IBIS are what keep me with micro 4/3.

Also, using 4k cropping or the 1080p ETC modes, you can get away with a much lesser zoom.  I didn't need the 100-400 as I could rely on the 35-100 to get me to 200mm @ f/2.8.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, jonpais said:

The Olympus 40-150mm f/2.8 would be an excellent choice for anyone owning either the Oly or Panny wide zooms who needs that extra reach.

Both 12-40 and 40-150 are (optically) exceptional lenses. The only drawback is that the 40-150 has a focus ring not precise like the 12-40, especially when focusing from far to infinity. I sold it some days ago in order to buy some Zeiss... I miss it but I can live with a slower zoom...

I love my Olympus 12-40mm on my GH4. No other general purpose lens has managed to topple it yet due to combination of 2.8, zoom range, weather sealing and most of all the great manual focus ring. However, I do prefer the colour signature of my Voigtlander, Nikon and Panasonic lenses. The Oly seems to come up a little warmer/yellower which I find myself subtracting. Anyone else find this?

On 3/20/2017 at 3:33 PM, Borbarad said:

Correct!

But I'm not interested in primes as I have the Leica M for that anyway. What I need is AF a good standard zoom and the long end and weather resistant stuff. Now video is on the list as well.

There is a rumor ongoing that there are 1 or 2 pro long Tele lenses in the making... so I don't know  if I will stick to my current plan to get away with

12-60

50-200

That's very compact.

B

From the GH5 user manual:

This camera is not dust/drip/water proof.
Avoid using the camera in places with a lot of dust, water, sand, etc.
• Liquid, sand and other foreign material may get into the space

around the lens, buttons, etc. Be particularly careful since it may not just cause malfunctions, but it may also become irreparable.
– Places with a lot of sand or dust.
– Places where water can come into contact with this unit, such as

when using it on a rainy day or at the beach. 

6 hours ago, jonpais said:

From the GH5 user manual:

This camera is not dust/drip/water proof.
Avoid using the camera in places with a lot of dust, water, sand, etc.
• Liquid, sand and other foreign material may get into the space

around the lens, buttons, etc. Be particularly careful since it may not just cause malfunctions, but it may also become irreparable.
– Places with a lot of sand or dust.
– Places where water can come into contact with this unit, such as

when using it on a rainy day or at the beach. 

Ha, have you found a booboo? Here's the page from the basic manual that comes in the box.

2017-03-25-23.02.34.jpg

Hi there,

I own both the lenses, just received my 12-60 a week ago. Long story short: the 12-40 is going away.

I had an EM5 II with the 12-40 and I was happy for still (using flash indoor), but got very disappointed with video quality (a body proble). The 12-40 is unbalanced on the EM5 II, too front heavy for me. I had to add the optional grip.

Then I got a g85, superhappy with video (and still) quality with both the 12-40 and the 14-140 (dual is2 is great), but the reach of yhe 12-40 was not enough for everyday use, and I was often preferring the 35-100 (an other great lens).

I gave it a go at this new panaleica, and I am definitely satisfied with it. Same quality, longer reach, much better balanced (even on the EM5II), same size, but so much better at video. The zoom ring is supersmooth, the aperture change is unnoticable in video.

the 12-60 feels less like a tank, but is very well built. The only thing I personally don't like is the colder colors with respect to the 12-40. But it is fixable somehow with in camera processing.

Ot really depends on what you need, but for me the 12-60 is a clear winner, and with dual is2 it is going to stay glued to the g85.

21 minutes ago, Kralin said:

Hi there,

I own both the lenses, just received my 12-60 a week ago. Long story short: the 12-40 is going away.

I had an EM5 II with the 12-40 and I was happy for still (using flash indoor), but got very disappointed with video quality (a body proble). The 12-40 is unbalanced on the EM5 II, too front heavy for me. I had to add the optional grip.

Then I got a g85, superhappy with video (and still) quality with both the 12-40 and the 14-140 (dual is2 is great), but the reach of yhe 12-40 was not enough for everyday use, and I was often preferring the 35-100 (an other great lens).

I gave it a go at this new panaleica, and I am definitely satisfied with it. Same quality, longer reach, much better balanced (even on the EM5II), same size, but so much better at video. The zoom ring is supersmooth, the aperture change is unnoticable in video.

the 12-60 feels less like a tank, but is very well built. The only thing I personally don't like is the colder colors with respect to the 12-40. But it is fixable somehow with in camera processing.

Ot really depends on what you need, but for me the 12-60 is a clear winner, and with dual is2 it is going to stay glued to the g85.

I think once more photographers see the colors from this lens (compared to the Panasonic) they'll want nothing but Leica from here on out. 

On 3/30/2017 at 6:41 AM, Kralin said:

Hi there,

Thank you for posting this. 
Do you notice a big difference with regards to AF and IS between the two lenses? 
If the 12-40 can keep up reasonably well in those two areas, I think I can live with the shorter reach... But if not, I think I will definitely have to get the 12-60.

Thanks!

On 1/4/2017 at 5:15 PM, Ki Rin said:

Thank you for posting this. 
Do you notice a big difference with regards to AF and IS between the two lenses? 
If the 12-40 can keep up reasonably well in those two areas, I think I can live with the shorter reach... But if not, I think I will definitely have to get the 12-60.

Thanks!

On panasonic body yes, the panaleica works nore reliably, but on the em5 they are both worst.

regarding IS, I would rate the 12-60 plus dual is2 on a similar level to em5 ii ibis. But the 12-40 on g85 is not on the same level, even if at this focal lenght is probably good enough

On 25.3.2017 at 11:20 AM, jonpais said:

Anyhow, splash proof does not guarantee against damage when the camera comes in direct contact with water. So the same precautions apply.

As long as there is no IP rating (I guess IP65 or IP66 would be a possibility with cameras like these?) that the manufacturer gives, nothing guarantees anything. Weather resistant / splash proof are just marketing phrases.Good luck getting a camera replaced by the manufacturer because their "weather resistant" camera has water damage.

On 31/03/2017 at 10:41 AM, Kralin said:

The zoom ring is supersmooth, the aperture change is unnoticable in video.

That zoom smoothness is very impressive. Pretty much manual zoom during recording smooth. So enjoying the extra reach up from the 12-35.