Sony A7S/R and HDR

Vegeta

Hey guys, I'm trying to understand a concept that maybe someone could help me with. I plan to make videos in the future to be displayed on OLED HDR displays.

The equipment I will be using is 2 LG oled 1000nit hdr displays (one for davinci grading and one for final output), and a future a7s or a7r model with atomos inferno.

Now the question is, during slog2/3 shooting, do I need a slog to rec2020 LUT, unlike the slog to rec709 lut. Or can I simply work with the sgamut colour space?

Also could someone explain me what output settings for bluray in davinci resolve would I need to save the files to so I can display the best quality file? Thank you guys! :)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The problem with HDR with a A7s/R is that your video feed will be 8 bits only, So what ever you do you won t have a lot of information to display, HDR displays are 10 or 12 bits usually.

It s a bit like displaying 720p on a 1080p TV, it s fine but you won t use the full spectrum of resolution.

If you output a video in rec2020 color space it will look like crap on a normal display, your display monitor also need to be set up in rec2020 space
Ideally you can work in something like davinci in ACES mode and apply the Lut at the end for exports.

There is a discussion on cml about monitoring for hdr.  You may be able to glean some insight there.  From what I have read so far, and my own forray into hdr, 12 bit aquisition  seems to be the recommended minimum prerequisite.

Also, I cannot remember if the mysterybox articles mention that if you would like hdr scopes and controls, the paid version of Resolve is also necessary.  

As an aside, its unforunate that hdr display tech shares the same name as a photographic technique which only simulates greater dynamic range.

1 hour ago, sam said:

As an aside, its unforunate that hdr display tech shares the same name as a photographic technique which only simulates greater dynamic range.

Yeah this is an unfortunate association. Even my initial gut reaction to HDR video made me immediately think of those terrible "HDR" photoshops.

I heard atomos takes the a7 series video feed into a 10bit dnxhd file. Unless they are just shoving a 8bit sensor output to a 10bit file, than thats not going to really make much difference. Sigh..

So I guess HDR is left for the pros in that sense. That article is confusing to follow, solely because im not a pro. Way to many things to follow and do for HDR. Wish they made it simple if they pushing all these HDR tvs to the market.