First day out with C100 mkii

Tim Sewell

This was my first opportunity to get out of the house and play with my C100 mkii since I got it - over a month ago. Just my luck that if I emerge from my house bearing a camera the sun always makes a run for it and the clouds start to shed their loads - so not a lot of time, or inspiration went into this. That said, I couldn't be happier with the camera - it's so easy to use that it just gets right out of the way so shooting feels more fluid than I've experienced before.

'Twas shot Canon log, with a tech LUT to Rec709 and an Eastman 100T emulation LUT, plus tweaks etc. Mainly the 55-250 STM lens.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks guys. I have to say that even at this early stage (ie, before I've learnt to fully exploit it) the image out of this camera is more pleasing to me than anything else I've shot with so far - in fact it was the camera I really wanted right from the get-go (well the Mk i actually, as this wasn't out when I first got the bug). I honestly don't know what I'd do with 4K - for me the HD image from a good sensor has exactly the right resolution to give the opportunity to craft an organic end result.

Yeah that is a big plus with the C100 is that it is using a 4k sensor that down samples to 1080, thus saving a step in post possessing. We are a Long ways from Needing 4k. I would hate to venture a guess as to how few people even have a 4k TV! For Documentary, Corporate stuff I don't know how you can beat one.

Probably not the most Cinematic image out there, but they are very popular for a reason. Glad to see you got the mkII version, they made some great changes on it from the original.

2 hours ago, mercer said:

If I had 3-4000 bucks, I would probably get a C100ii. It's just a nice image and it seems that the camera just gets out of your way? I imagine it is kinda small without the top handle attached?

Without the handle it looks and handles like an extremely large SLR (an extremely large SLR on which all the video-centric controls are easily to hand with it up to your eye, and are nearly 100% assignable - for instance button 7 on the handgrip: when I'm using an AF lens I have it set to AF lock, when using a MF lens it's set to magnify/B/W and peaking). It is a joy to use.