On Lankan Tracks – A Short Travel film with Sony A7S II

Gregormannschaft

Hey folks. Last year I travelled to Sri Lanka for four weeks, hopping about the place and pulling all kinds of strange poses in the name of having a totally not relaxing vacation. But it's what happens, I guess. I edited together all the footage I collected and I'd love to hear any kind of feedback you might have. In hindsight, I wish I'd collected more footage, but I hope that doesn't shine through too strongly.

Edit wise, I dabbled a little with the fast zooms that have become so commonplace in this genre over the past few years but wanted to restrain myself so to not go too overboard. The Watchtower of Turkey style isn't really my thing, as much as I appreciate it, but I wanted to steal a little of that energy films like this can generate.

Cam wise, I used my Sony A7SII, GFILM colour profile, Canon 24-105 and an old Zeiss Jena 35mm that I absolutely love. No rigs, no stabiliser.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

WHAT!! this is heresy is it not?? what about the world class lowlight? I am a recovering Samsung victim and Have a NX-1 and alot of gear...and I like it.

Im just getting the hit if I want to work with others in my area Sony is a better choice to fit in.

But you would rather have a A7RII over a SII for mainly video? can you dilate your thoughts on this?

9 minutes ago, Gregormannschaft said:

Cheers Juxx, I'd recommend the A7RII over the SII, in case your eyeballing becomes cash spending.

3 minutes ago, Juxx989 said:

WHAT!! this is heresy is it not?? what about the world class lowlight? I am a recovering Samsung victim and Have a NX-1 and alot of gear...and I like it.

Im just getting the hit if I want to work with others in my area Sony is a better choice to fit in.

But you would rather have a A7RII over a SII for mainly video? can you dilate your thoughts on this?

The importance of autofocus. I discounted it when I first made my mind up, but in hindsight I'd love some sort of usable AF. I hear the lowlight is still pretty good too + you have the added benefit of a full frame 4K mode with minimal rolling shooter, albeit slightly soft. I think the A7RII is a more complicated camera, but I think it might be worth it. Still, there's not much in it and you can't go wrong with either. 

Thanks for taking the time to watch!

• 4 weeks later...
On 16.3.2017 at 4:13 PM, Gregormannschaft said:

Cam wise, I used my Sony A7SII, GFILM colour profile, Canon 24-105 and an old Zeiss Jena 35mm that I absolutely love. No rigs, no stabiliser.

Hey Greg! You make that gfilm colour sing, you make that Sony color sing! Maybe the best Sony color I´ve seen on the interwebs,

very beautiful color in its own right! Absolutely! Please share more of your stuff!

cheers

On 14/04/2017 at 9:32 PM, PannySVHS said:

Hey Greg! You make that gfilm colour sing, you make that Sony color sing! Maybe the best Sony color I´ve seen on the interwebs,

very beautiful color in its own right! Absolutely! Please share more of your stuff!

cheers

That's very kind of you, cheers! Geoff's colour is very well worth experimenting with, would like to see more examples from other folks as well to see what they've achieved.