Will we see a new professional Panasonic GH-series camera at NAB?

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

lumix-gh-x.jpg

The Panasonic GH3 was a big update over the legendary GH2 and I am putting the final touches to my review (and a lot of other future material). I've been shooting a lot with it alongside by cinema cameras, the FS100 and Blackmagic Cinema camera. Where are the Panasonic pro cameras? Well the GH3 is $1300 and that leaves quite a large space above it for a high spec 'DSLR-type' camera from Panasonic. I'm getting more and more clues and info as to a possible high end GH camera, and if true this would be a dream for indie filmmakers and a brilliant move by Panasonic.

http://www.eoshd.com/content/9869/will-we-see-a-new-professional-panasonic-gh-series-camera-at-nab

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Sounds great, even after just purchasing the GH3 which I am extremely happy with this would be great to see. I hope it's still m4/3 (with all the work they are putting into new high end m4/3 lenses I wouldn't doubt it) and like you put in the post it not only gives GH3 owners confidence to invest more into Panasonic lenses/accessories it HOPEFULLY shows that they are willing to push m4/3 further into a higher end market which is good for everyone.

Out of curiosity though, how could they make the GH3 or GH-X more like the 5D3? It already has a full magnesium alloy body and full weather sealing. I used to own a 5D3, to me the GH3 just feels like a mini one of those.

I think we might see 2 cameras..... around the $5k and $10k-$15k mark....

Something around the size of the C100 with the new 10bit codec, 1080/60p and 12 stops of DR would be great for the $5k. I think they will launch the 4K cam they showed in 2012 at the higher price point. Get the feeling it will be 4K, but not raw.

I love Panasonic and have done since my HVX200, but they need to nail the DR in whichever models they bring out

I'd like to believe there's a better Panasonic camera or two in the near future. Utilizing their new Micro P2 cards, higher bit rates and at least a 10 bit 422 codec would help Panasonic develop a pro-level market that differentiates itself from the rest of their competition. Onboard ND filters and a newly developed "in house"  M4/3 sensor with 4K potential would go a long way toward attracting new market share as well as giving existing GH 2/3, AF100 owners a path for future upgrades. If Nikon can offer the potential for 4K in the Nikon 1 series, surely Panasonic can develop 4K for M4/3 if they're interested enough in creating a pro-level product line. Whether Panasonic drops further AF-100 development in favor of a DSLR form factor remains to be seen. It might make more sense to follow a single pro-level product strategy rather than offer both a GHx and a AF-Xxx product line. Perhaps GHx could stay M4/3 and Panasonic could try an AF-Xxx with a super-35 sensor. One thing is for sure, if they don't announce something dramatic at NAB, the window of opportunity for grabbing a pro-level market share will slam shut. There are too many offerings from other manufacturers to "wait and see" what else Panasonic might offer for the future.

I would rather create a modular camera similar to the FS100/FS700.

Sell the body for 2000 to 2500, with add ons for simultanous 4K recording, professional audio (XLR) for 1000 each.

I agree with 10 Bit 4:2:2, but at a price point of 4-5000 as a complete package would that really be enough to stave off Blackmagic with their BMCC?

Why not raw?

Besides ergonomics I would advise Panasonic to create a whole new noise free low lighty sensor with large pixels and a native resolution of 4K for clean downsampling to full HD with some extra pixels for inbuilt image stabilization. And yes, I know, Panasonic builds IS into their lenses. But a cinema camera would need to operate with a lot of adapted manual lenses which would need IS badly.

If Nikon can offer the potential for 4K in the Nikon 1 series, surely Panasonic can develop 4K for M4/3 if they're interested enough in creating a pro-level product line.

Do we really need to keep perpetuating the myth that Nikon had 4K Video in mind, for their burst mode.... It is a still camera feature

Do we really need to keep perpetuating the myth that Nikon had 4K Video in mind, for their burst mode.... It is a still camera feature

Nikon may not have had 4K in mind for video, but that doesn't mean the idea shouldn't be explored further. Canon did not intend to start the DSLR revolution with the 5D Mark2, but it happened because of a "still camera" feature that creative filmmakers realized had tremendous potential. Perhaps the 4K video myth could become a reality rather than a novelty for future Nikon cameras. Would the option of 4K for video in a still camera be desirable? Owners of the Canon 1 DC are likely quite pleased with it. It's not a myth for them, it's a reality. I'd like to see more manufacturers move in this direction. I guess I'm fond of Great myths.

• Administrators

That sensor in the Nikon already does 4K video.

http://***URL removed***/articles/6531373190/interview-tetsuya-yamamoto-of-nikon

The sensor is capable of 2K (2048×1080px) and 4K (~4000px horizontal resolution) video and in the future we hope to incorporate [these functions]'.

The camera side does not.

There's no reason why a $3000 piece of hardware can't have the computing power to do 4K video in 2013 though.

The reason the Nikon 1 sensor can do 4K video is down to the fact it has a 24 channel digital read out. By contrast the D3, previous flagship DSLR at $6k had just 12 channels analogue read out, very slow and needs to be converted to digital after it has left the sensor. On the 1 series the conversion is done on the sensor in-line, instantaneously just after the light hits it. So you can get that data off very quickly. It shows in the rolling shutter too - far less than the competition in 1080p mode.

We're nearly there at consumer price points for 4K.

Even the GoPro is close! And that is the size of a matchbox.

Remember, resolution isn't everything. I'd be happy with 2.5K. Anything to finally step up from boring old 1080p after so many years. The Blackmagic Cinema Camera in raw should be the new image quality benchmark at $3000 even though it ships in such limited quantities, that is the current state of the art for the price. It doesn't make sense not to beat it does it?

What worries me about Panasonic is how they have omitted (or overlooked) key features for strange reasons.  No punch-in function on the AF100?  GH1 era sensor on the AF100?  2.5mm mic jack on the GH2?  No peaking on the GH3?  Really Panasonic?  I just hope they don't pull a Canon and cripple anything less than top tier. 

That sensor in the Nikon already does 4K video.

"Does" and "Capable of" are very different words. It might take an extra $10k to turn it from capable of to actual doing 4K video. Who knows..

Anyway, if we need to show that a DSLR type camera can do 4K video... We have a real world example already... a 1D-C, we don't need to start mentioning a 1 second burst mode as evidence.

Hopefully, like the GH1/Gh2 was to the 5DII.... Panasonic might just bring about something at a much lower price, with some interesting features. They are not scared to put cool features in lower priced gear.

"Does" and "Capable of" are very different words. It might take an extra $10k to turn it from capable of to actual doing 4K video. Who knows..

Anyway, if we need to show that a DSLR type camera can do 4K video... We have a real world example already... a 1D-C, we don't need to start mentioning a 1 second burst mode as evidence.

I agree with the point, maybe not $10K.  but more specifically the attention of 1 sec RAW burst mode of stills is a different (ballgame) protocol than H.264 video capture.