Breaking: Fuji is developing ultimate APSC video camera

wolf33d

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
37 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

What is wrong with full frame?

Pentax skip it and go medium format for their high end

Fuji skip it and go medium format for their high end

Only Sony and Leica doing full frame mirrorless cameras!

Seems odd, but I guess the full frame market is seen as quite conservative, and getting pro Canon and Nikon shooters to shift to mirror-less is a big challenge, especially now that Sony has such a developed mirrorless full frame operation. A whole new lens system, just to catch up with Sony?

People don't shoot movies full frame, well very few its not the norm  , super 35 /apsc is standard all those loveley cinema  lenses won't work full frame , plus I really don't like the full frame look on movies , I'm used to guaging all my focal lengths relative to super 35 .

So this new camera in apsc is a bonus !

For me super 35 sensor/apsc  at about f2 looks cinematic , the dof is usable yet still shallow enough to have a filmic look , beyond f2 the dof is insanely narrow , at 1.4 pulling focus on a moving person is insane , now go to full frame at say 1.4 its totally unreal look wise micro thin dof and unusable for me . thats just my opinion , there have been movies shot on fullframe canon 5ds like Act of Valor and they were down at 5.6 to try get a usable dof approximating super 35 ....and at 5.6 you are not in the sweet spot of the lens at all for me , I like to shoot fully wide open or one stop down , in that range you can make lenses do magical things ....at 5.6 you can't they loose all the character!!

• Super Members

The two cinema zooms are on their roadmap in X mount for later in the year and it would be a bit of a stretch to think they see them being mounted to XT-2s so a cinema camera would make sense.

If it is a more pro version of the XT-2 primarily for still shooters then they've still got some way to go to break Nikon and Canon's hold certainly in my area of shooting sport.

I've been doing field testing of the XT-2 this week at the World Snowboard And Freestyle Skiing Championships and at a La Liga football match shooting for live agency distribution alongside my Nikon kit and its just not there yet.

The image quality is good enough (at 6400 in the football stadium it surprised me with how clean it was) but the handling just isn't up to it. I got used to the EVF blanking but it never gave me much confidence that my timing was right. And it generally wasn't so the ratio of Nikon to Fuji shots that made it from the memory card to the newswire was about 20:1. For the football match it was even less as it inspired such little confidence that it was swapped out for another Nikon at half time. 

Battery life (especially covering the winter sports) was poor and all of this is also turning a blind eye to the lack of long primes. Which all adds up to me being the only one out of 60 odd photographers at both events mad enough to be trying mirrorless out!

It has its place though because not everything is shot on a 400mm 2.8 so I'll be persevering with it again for the closing weekend of the championships.

The roadmap shows that longer primes are coming late next year so, again, that would give more credence to this new one being cinema oriented.

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/xf_lens/roadmap/

4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

What is wrong with full frame?

Pentax skip it and go medium format for their high end

Fuji skip it and go medium format for their high end

A smart move by Pentax (until they gave in and brought out a FF... Hmm) and FujiFilm to just have APS-C  and Medium Format.

As the future is 1" compacts for those who want ultra portability. APS-C for those who want lens choice flexibility but are budget (or size) constrained. And Medium Format for those who the sky is the limit. So called "Full Frame" will hopefully die away as it gets squeezed in by APS-C/MFT on one side and Medium Format on the other side.

Unless Sony is successful in entrenching  their FE camera/lens range in time before Medium Format arrives as a truly affordable option (relative to an a7R or a9 series etc).

Medium format is NOT ready to replace FF. too much compromise (Lenses at F2.8 or F4 ? Seriously?) 
Already constraints are huge on a FF body (heat management...) Today the easy sensor for video is M43 cause we can get amazing specs (GH5) easily. 
Medium format is just not ready for a video usage, when technology evolves yeah why not I will take it. 
For now for me the sweet spot is FF for photography and M43 or APSC for video (or FF if anyone gives me a FF body with GH5 specs, which no company seems to give me..)

@wolf33d so your sweet spot is everything (whatever), as 98%-99% of the camera systems out there are FF, or m43, or APSC!

My sweet spot is APS-C, plain and simple. Thin slice depth of filed with 1.8f lenses (which I really don't) - up to 28megapixels for crop purposes, close to cinema S35 for video.

If I can get an ok video performance out of medium format, that would be really interesting.

Of, course people can have different "sweet spots", I know people having a sweet spot for both blonds and red hair girls. Everything is possible in this world!

The X-T2, doesn't have:

• sensor stabilization
  • headphone port on the camera body
  • frontfacing touchscreen
  • the most well-supported mount... and there's no smart adapters (w/ chip) for like EF lenses

They fix those... they're onto something. That's like what Samsung might've done if they'd continue to develop for a NX-2. I agree that APS-C is where it's at and Fujifilm knows their colors and quality optics. The Sony cameras just lack that creative passion for film, they just up the numbers on the specsheet, jack up the price and expect winning sales. But their product is kinda 'meh', specs look good, but doesn't really relate to realworld use. Canon of course is a joke. Nikon is not entering. And yeah, there's still the Samsung NX-1, but it's kind of an obsolete system if you can continue your road with Fuji that kind of has smiliar strengths and weaknesses. If they could bring a X-T2 VH like that, I'd seriously consider switching from Panasonic/Olympus/Blackmagic/Nikon.

7 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

The X-T2, doesn't have:

• sensor stabilization
  • headphone port on the camera body
  • frontfacing touchscreen
  • the most well-supported mount... and there's no smart adapters (w/ chip) for like EF lenses

They fix those... they're onto something. That's like what Samsung might've done if they'd continue to develop for a NX-2. I agree that APS-C is where it's at and Fujifilm knows their colors and quality optics. The Sony cameras just lack that creative passion for film, they just up the numbers on the specsheet, jack up the price and expect winning sales. But their product is kinda 'meh', specs look good, but doesn't really relate to realworld use. Canon of course is a joke. Nikon is not entering. And yeah, there's still the Samsung NX-1, but it's kind of an obsolete system if you can continue your road with Fuji that kind of has smiliar strengths and weaknesses. If they could bring a X-T2 VH like that, I'd seriously consider switching from Panasonic/Olympus/Blackmagic/Nikon.

Add:

• No internal F-Log
  • No 10bit color depth
  • Incompatible with SmallHD monitors
  • Lacking HFR. Only 24fps in UHD and 60fps in FHD

In a 5k $ system as is rumoured I would really expect a lot, they can't come with FS5 specs in 2018 and expect to take the market.

Just now, Phil A said:

In a 5k $ system as is rumoured I would really expect a lot, they can't come with FS5 specs in 2018 and expect to take the market.

Again, the camera which is mentioned in the original post is not a video camera, but a pro photo body.

3 minutes ago, cantsin said:

Again, the camera which is mentioned in the original post is not a video camera, but a pro photo body.

True, but the sources say it will be the best Fuji APS-C camera for video work. Which could mean anything.

2 minutes ago, jonpais said:

True, but the sources say it will be the best Fuji APS-C camera for video work. Which could mean anything.

It will surely not mean that it will be a camera to compete with the FS5 (as mentioned by @Phil A) or similar cameras, but a camera competing with the Nikon D500 and Canon 7D, aimed at photo journalists.

@cantsin That is true but I think the GH5 will put certain expectations around video functions that other suppliers will have to follow to some degree.

I can't see 24p 4k 8bit 4:2:0 to to be enough in 2018.

But yes, you're right, I expect a "me too" camera with high framerate for photo shooting and further improved autofocus, etc. Basically a 1Dx in Fuji APS-C, but I still don't see why anyone would pay 5k for that as rumoured, maybe 2500 tops. They still lack the lens lineup for sport shooters, etc. too.

19 minutes ago, Phil A said:

Add:

• No internal F-Log
  • No 10bit color depth
  • Incompatible with SmallHD monitors
  • Lacking HFR. Only 24fps in UHD and 60fps in FHD

That would really seal the deal, yeah. ;) Though, if the GH5 is a flagship at 1999 with all the crazy features, the APS-C size-up should need to cost more than 2999 tops. And that's exactly where there's still a gap in the market. Somewhere up from say a GH5 without going full on cinema camera package at 5k+.