Thieves break into Veydra - help them to recover their cinema lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

What a shitty thing to happen.

Coincidentally, I was looking at these at THIS year's BVE show a few weeks ago and they are very impressive.

Hopefully they can get back on their feet supply wise soon.

Decent comparison video here for anyone interested in them.

Unless these were stolen to order and are headed for Russia or China I suspect the thieves won't have realised quite how small (and therefore interconnected) the market for these lenses is. You could probably fit the entirety of it into a mid-size college's basketball arena (and still have room for their significant others).

Looks like the kind of thievery that is to order, and if so, those lenses will be out of the USA already and will not ever be sold online as first point of sale. No chance of security cameras identifying anybody, either - unless they are complete idiots doing it for a few bags of crack. Insurance will cover the company but will not cover them for the lenses that people buy as an alternative whilst they await new stock.

6 hours ago, Tim Sewell said:

Unless these were stolen to order and are headed for Russia or China I suspect the thieves won't have realised quite how small (and therefore interconnected) the market for these lenses is. You could probably fit the entirety of it into a mid-size college's basketball arena (and still have room for their significant others).

The Chinese and Russian markets for lenses are just as interconnected. I live halftime in China and the prices are completely in sync with those in the US.

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Grimor said:

Is this a fake news? Viral marketing campaign?

They left a few units in the top of the shell

Nope

They probably left the filters or couldn't carry the rest

Seems like they were in a hurry and knocked over the soda drink recycling bin as well!

2 hours ago, Ed_David said:

I'm going to guess this was an inside job.  Most thieves don't rip off small lens manufacturers, right?

Maybe, who knows?

Thieves will target anyone.

Dang that's awful. Ryan has been awesome bringing these to life! Proud Kickstarter backer. Sucks to see this happen to him and his company, they only put out good into the world, how could anyone do something like that? And indeed for what?! Hope they find out what pigs did this and put 'em to justice.

7 hours ago, Ed_David said:

I'm going to guess this was an inside job.  Most thieves don't rip off small lens manufacturers, right?

Kinda what I was thinking, seems an odd target for a trained crook. Then again could just be some crack heads, but I doubt crack heads would waste time with that many "weird" things.

19 hours ago, tweak said:

Kinda what I was thinking, seems an odd target for a trained crook. Then again could just be some crack heads, but I doubt crack heads would waste time with that many "weird" things.

Yea, I don't think many thieves target businesses because they know they have pretty intense security systems and cameras.

And again, if you steal a set of ultra primes - you just have to steal like 5 of them and you make $50k or so.  This, you have to steal like 50 of them to make that same amount.  Chance of getting caught selling just one lens is probably pretty bad enough risk.

• Administrators

I doubt professional thieves can tell the difference between one set of ultra primes on one hand and other brand cinema lenses on the other.

They probably took advantage of a security lapse or something and will get a surprise then they find that the lenses aren't 50,000 dollars a-piece.

Anyway this is all speculation from us...

I hope they get to the bottom of exactly what happened.

4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I doubt professional thieves can tell the difference between one set of ultra primes on one hand and other brand cinema lenses on the other.

They probably took advantage of a security lapse or something and will get a surprise then they find that the lenses aren't 50,000 dollars a-piece.

Anyway this is all speculation from us...

I hope they get to the bottom of exactly what happened.

Professional thieves are usually, well pretty professional haha. I think they would research well what they are before they nabbed them (if it were a professional job). As you say it's all speculation, we have no idea really haha.