HD on Lumix cameras - G7 vs G6 test- winner is G7

PannySVHS

hey guys,

since I just I´ve just got a G7 this weekend for the nice ergos, screen, EVF and for checking out the Cine profiles, I was wondering about its HD resolution.

This test suggests it´s better than G6, which would be pretty awesome.  My GX80 seems of lower HD resolution

than my G6 to me. Pretty nice test this guy did. So in HD G7 seems to have better resolution than G6, which, to

my own superficial testing, has better resolution than GX80 again.

Any findings on that from you guys´ side?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 hours ago, andy lee said:

That's because the sensor in the G7 is very very good , its not the same sensor that's in the gh4 , its a totally new design sensor and its also amazing in low light very very little visable noise, the g7 is a superb camera I shot a feature film with 6 of them last year.

Yes, Andy, I remember your post about your movie "Pandora" and your super cool screenshots! That post was awesome with great lens recommendations, as we know it from you:), and cool BTS! You wanna tease us with some teaser footage?

BTW, I had a question for you in the lens thread two days ago, if you wanna check :)

cheers and thanks!

7 hours ago, jagnje said:

So is the gx80 the same as g7 or not?

from my experience gx80 has weaker HD than G6, less resolution and more moire.

G7 I cannot tell from my own experience, as it was not my test video.

And I haven´t tested my newly bought G7 yet.

Asking you guys. How is the HD on the G7? The youtube video I posted, seems to show obvious improvements.

9 hours ago, Inazuma said:

I heard the HD is so good they shot the Revenant with a G7 hidden in an Alexa 65 body

Inazuma, didnt you post a video of the GX7 in the yard of spooky soul asylum place? That was a cool video. That GX7 for sure had some serious mojo going.

From the videos on vimeo to me it seems it has the best HD of all Lumix interchangeable cameras. Of course it should sooner

break apart under certain conditions than GH4 footage with the 100/200mbit codec. So maybe was a GX7 in the Alexa body for the Revenant:)

2 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Inazuma, didnt you post a video of the GX7 in the yard of spooky soul asylum place? That was a cool video. That GX7 for sure had some serious mojo going.

From the videos on vimeo to me it seems it has the best HD of all Lumix interchangeable cameras. Of course it should sooner

break apart under certain conditions than GH4 footage with the 100/200mbit codec. So maybe was a GX7 in the Alexa body for the Revenant:)

Yeh I did, thanks :) The GX7 is a good cam. Loved it when I first got it.

1 hour ago, andy lee said:

The gx7 has the same sensor as the gh4 .

Thats what i heard, but from what ive read the gx7 seems a little better in low light (usable at 1600 rather than 800) and the colours may have been better too (gh4 users seem to have often reported a dead, yellowish tint to skin). I had the G6 too and felt the gx7 sensor was significantly better

@mercer i mean.. the video isnt well done at all but the places were pretty cool Here

4 hours ago, Inazuma said:

@mercer i mean.. the video isnt well done at all but the places were pretty cool Here

It's a location scout, test video... it isn't supposed to be good, but it can still be cool, and it is.

Loved the shot of the lone metal chair in the middle of the room... really cool image... creepy.

I really like the 1080p out of that camera... they're cheap as shit now too... a shame that 3-axis IBIS doesn't work for video... it would be a great little run and gun cam. 

It's so annoying Panasonic went so full force with 4K and only gave the high bitrate 1080p to their GH line of cameras.

So, not many seem to remember, if G7 has more or less resolution than G6.

We know, sensor in G7 is better than G6 but does that go for a better HD picture as well?

For me it would be good enough if G7 and G6 had the same resolving power in HD. Like I said, GX80/85 seems to have less

HD resolution than G6, from what I have seen. Maybe I should test myself a little more instead of bothering you guys :)

Yes Andy, but you shot it in UHD acquisition:)

If the youtube test video is for real, then G7 HD to me seems almost pixel perfect like UHD downsized to HD.

GX80 doesnt. Dpreview testchart doesnt show neither pixel perfect HD for G7, but GX80 has the least resolution.

GX80 does not produce these moires, whereas GH4, G7 and G85 do.

https://***URL removed***/reviews/image-comparison/fullscreen?attr29_0=panasonic_dmcgh4&attr29_1=panasonic_dmcg7&attr29_2=panasonic_dmcg85&attr29_3=panasonic_dmcgx85&attr72_0=1080&attr72_1=1080&attr72_2=1080&attr72_3=1080&normalization=full&widget=437&x=0.46860437135634925&y=-0.22573302499551873

8 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Yes Andy, but you shot it in UHD acquisition:)

If the youtube test video is for real, then G7 HD to me seems almost pixel perfect like UHD downsized to HD.

GX80 doesnt. Dpreview testchart doesnt show neither pixel perfect HD for G7, but GX80 has the least resolution.

GX80 does not produce these moires, whereas GH4, G7 and G85 do.

https://***URL removed***/reviews/image-comparison/fullscreen?attr29_0=panasonic_dmcgh4&attr29_1=panasonic_dmcg7&attr29_2=panasonic_dmcg85&attr29_3=panasonic_dmcgx85&attr72_0=1080&attr72_1=1080&attr72_2=1080&attr72_3=1080&normalization=full&widget=437&x=0.46860437135634925&y=-0.22573302499551873

That old man is not really a good place to look at moire. You  wanna look at the stripe patterns below the center box. https://***URL removed***/reviews/image-comparison/fullscreen?attr29_0=panasonic_dmcgh4&attr29_1=panasonic_dmcg7&attr29_2=panasonic_dmcg85&attr29_3=panasonic_dmcgx85&attr72_0=1080&attr72_1=1080&attr72_2=1080&attr72_3=1080&normalization=full&widget=437&x=-0.0021436227224009966&y=-0.40748959778085975

When I had the GX85 I found the 1080p to not be the usual satisfactory standard of Panasonic cameras. I think that chart there explains why. I mean it's still better than most other cameras but just not to the usual standard.

I can see the 1080p looks slightly softer in the link above with the GX85 - but in 4k mode its pretty slim difference

are all the tests performed with the same lens ?

same video settings ? noise reduction etc ? or left at "default" settings ?  I can't find anywhere which states what was used

because - say compare the stills G7 vs GX85

https://***URL removed***/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gx85-gx80/7

look at the bank-note - looks far better to me on the GX85 than the G7