Cheap 7 inch 1080p field monitors

Stab

..like people couldn't focus for more than 100 years..

all these generalizations "we need 25600 ISO to shoot/only AF/only 4K 60frames 10bit is acceptable", and whatnot make me wonder, if I am too old for video, or people have just a six months memory.

Like a couple of years ago, all humanity was focusing on 4K 7" monitors that costed 150$..just gimme a break.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 hours ago, jonpais said:

They say it can be used with the GH4, but that means it will accept 1080p, not 4K. In the menus of the G85, you can set it to Auto, and it will automatically switch to 1080p or 4K. Is there any difference if I get a monitor that only accepts 1080p while I'm recording 4K?

http://www.feelworld.cn/ShowInfo.aspx?id=383&py=FEELWORLD-7-IPS-4K-HDMI-Full-HD-1920x1200-On-Camera-Monitor-Ultra-thin-Design-FW760 It accepts 4k signal. Tested my one which has one of the older firmwares and it shows 4k off GH4, gx85, rx100v, x3000. It displays the rez and Hz top right corner upon connection. 

You can "pull focus on a 3'' monitor with 480p resolution" on full frame with F1.4 or hell even F2.8?

I ran around trying to do that with my 5D3 and D750.  So many shots out of focus when rack focusing.  If you are talking about punching in to check focus then that's a completely different discussion, but please show us this magic of sharp 4K rack focus using 480p monitor and shallow DOF using monitor only run and gun... even if you can do it can everyone else?

I don't really use external monitors right now, and because of that I don't do rack focus and I have to punch in to check critical focus.  

Interested in the cinemartin monitor I find a strange website, a price that is more expensive than advertised, and an official YouTube channel (Tony Hernandez account) with amateur reviews by a spanish named Alejandro, and very good references (payed opinion?) from most important video blogs.

Red flag to me.

Are they a legitimate company? Are they rebranding chinesse product without warranty/customer service?

What do you think, guys?

18 minutes ago, Grimor said:

Interested in the cinemartin monitor I find a strange website, a price that is more expensive than advertised, and an official YouTube channel (Tony Hernandez account) with amateur reviews by a spanish named Alejandro, and very good references (payed opinion?) from most important video blogs.

Red flag to me.

Are they a legitimate company? Are they rebranding chinesse product without warranty/customer service?

What do you think, guys?

At that price point it is almost guaranteed that it is a rebranded Chinese monitor. I've read people commenting it is a rebranded Feelworld / Seetec F7. Not sure though.
From the other hand, almost all companies have their production in China, Taiwan or Korea. So what is the actual difference between 'well known' companies and Chinese ones? It's everything, but the product itself.

1 minute ago, Stab said:

At that price point it is almost guaranteed that it is a rebranded Chinese monitor. I've read people commenting it is a rebranded Feelworld / Seetec F7. Not sure though.
From the other hand, almost all companies have their production in China, Taiwan or Korea. So what is the actual difference between 'well known' companies and Chinese ones? It's everything, but the product itself.

True.

You are right, but i can get a Feelworld from amazon premium in 1 day but not a cinemartin.

The 90$ campaign seems only a marketing strategy, and real price is almost the same as feelworld/seetec.

6 hours ago, Kisaha said:

5D3 and D750 are not even 4K cameras.

Monitors are good, I am not saying that, but I do not own one and most of the people I know do not use one, and monitors accepting 4K signal is something that happened last year. Got my point?

No I don't get your point.  It sounds like you are saying "everyone is complaining that they need a 4k monitor for focusing but they are being stupid because we have made movies for 100years without 4k monitoring."

Well maybe I should start calling people who want autofocus whiners since "people have been using manual focus for 200 years, we don't need AF to take photos or video"...

Sharp 4k signal makes the monitor more useful since you can be more confident in focus (I still think you need to punch in when possible though).  Why shouldn't people want it?

And no one was saying you can't make a video without a monitor in this thread but I did point out that using 1080p signal from most cameras at this time is very hard to achieve perfect focus when racking and using monitor as focus tool. To improve the focus ability of the monitor a sharp signal really helps. How is this a bad thing? For those of us not on movie sets with focus pullers, or using follow focus for every shot etc any help is appreciated.

Dude, the cameras you are mentioning are not even 4K cameras, so a 4K monitor isn't even a possibility, what are you talking about?

These monitors aren't truly 4K monitors, they just "accept" 4K signal, a 4K 7" monitor would cost more than your cameras, have you checked how much the good 1080p monitors cost out there? Also, have you read at all about the 4K controversy, and how big (and far) a monitor has to be for 4K be really necessary? Do you know that 4K mobile phones, are 4K only for the spec war, and for VR glasses?

I am bored of listening people "complaining" about things that half a year ago weren't even possible, and right now they expect everything, instantly, to become a common ground. Sony cameras do not even have touch screens yet (except that joke of the a6500) while others have for 5 years now, no one has Canon's dual pixel AF, no one can reach Olympus IBIS (while Panasonic does interesting things right now with their dual thing), NX has a 28megapixels sensor since 2014, A7Sii records millions of ISO. No  one is perfect, still everything is huge steps ahead of 2010, or 2000, just take a chill pill, and all goodness will knock your door sooni-sh, until then, just learn to focus, no one can nail focus on full frame 1.4f, obviously, but who is that silly to try to in the first time? How many movies do you know shot on full frame and 1.4f? Take a Super 35 camera, put your aperture at 5.6, and most cameras these days have focus peaking anyway, you can also get a view finder that goes to your screen, you press your face (eye) on that, and you see a magnification of your image, and that costs 20$ from ebay.

You are free to use whatever you want, if you are unable to work with what reality offers you, then freeze yourself, and wake up in 73 years that cameras will be full auto, controlled by your brain waves.

??? I am using a G7 now and A6500.  I mentioned those 5D3 and D750 cameras because you cannot rack focus accurately using a monitor as the focus tool with them.  I am currently shooting without using a monitor, so I guess I am "unable to work without a monitor" - you're right!

All I said was you cannot rack focus using shallow DOF on 1080p signal.  All of a sudden you show up lambasting anyone who dares mention it like some kind of personal insult... I must be some kind of idiot for pointing that out, sorry.  Obviously I am "unable to work with what reality offers me" even though I am shooting regularly with aforementioned cameras.  I guess they are not real cameras and they don't count since they are a "joke".

I just showed up to suggest some feedback on affordable 7'' monitors and suggested looking at the 4K input because 1080p signals are hard to focus with.  Now I am an idiot that can only shoot with future technology and don't know how to use my gear???

Just get your facts straight and you will be fine.

- 5D3/D750 aren't 4K cameras, so no 4K monitor can help you there

- The monitors we are talking about are NOT real 4K monitors, is this comprehendible enough for you?

- Full frame focus with 1.4f lenses is almost impossible to focus right for more than 1 second - or less, even if you had a 65" TV worn on your  head, it isn't about the monitor/screen/focus peaking, it is about physics. That is another huge conversation, about the 5Dii revolution, and the effects on moving image mentality and psychology, not for this topic. 

That's what I said, that's what you seemed missing completely, people with less knowledge are reading these forums, and they will try to find 4K monitors to use with their D750, or else they won't be able to pull focus with out a focus puller on 1.4f lenses, filming a soccer game.

I did not call you anything, I just disagreed with your generalities and offered facts to your myths, while it is truth, people didn't use 4K monitors until a year ago, and still just a wee tiny portion of video makers have a true 4K monitor (something like a 0.4%) to help them with focus, do you disagree with that?

7 hours ago, Grimor said:

Red flag to me.

What do you think, guys?

Very dodgy in my eyes.

Is there any cheap monitor out there that does accurate waveforms - don't currently care for any other functions, because if I did I would end up spending £1500 on something I will not use for years.

Thanks

31 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Just get your facts straight and you will be fine.

- 5D3/D750 aren't 4K cameras, so no 4K monitor can help you there

- The monitors we are talking about are NOT real 4K monitors, is this comprehendible enough for you?

- Full frame focus with 1.4f lenses is almost impossible to focus right for more than 1 second - or less, even if you had a 65" TV worn on your  head, it isn't about the monitor/screen/focus peaking, it is about physics. That is another huge conversation, about the 5Dii revolution, and the effects on moving image mentality and psychology, not for this topic. 

That's what I said, that's what you seemed missing completely, people with less knowledge are reading these forums, and they will try to find 4K monitors to use with their D750, or else they won't be able to pull focus with out a focus puller on 1.4f lenses, filming a soccer game.

I did not call you anything, I just disagreed with your generalities and offered facts to your myths, while it is truth, people didn't use 4K monitors until a year ago, and still just a wee tiny portion of video makers have a true 4K monitor (something like a 0.4%) to help them with focus, do you disagree with that?

My facts are straight.

- Using a 1080 signal for focusing using a monitor is very difficult, regardless of monitor size or resolution.  I used example of D750 because I have used it in past.  But it applies to almost all current cameras if outputting 1080p from the 1080p mode - even A6500 in 1080p mode.  Do you dispute this - that using a 1080p signal for focusing using monitor alone is difficult for shallow DOF and critical focus?  Also I brought up those cameras to make this point that the mushy signal is a problem for focusing, but I'm not sure if you can understand this...

- I never said any of the monitors had 4K resolution, in fact no one said that in this thread, but we were talking about accepting 4K signals.  Is this comprehensible to you? Nice usage of alternative facts btw. I purchased my monitor last year when no one was talking about 4K monitoring but obviously I am idiot and don't know the specs of my own monitor right?

- I mentioned 4k input because I used 4K signal from A6500 to a full hd monitor that takes 4K signal.  I know the monitor is not 4K resolution.  However, the monitor is much sharper using the 4K signal vs the mushy 1080p signal.  This increases the usability of the monitor for focusing purposes.  What do you not understand about this?  I am saying that using a 4K signal on a monitor that only has 1920x1080 is sharper than using a 1080p signal on the same monitor (when discussing the recording mode of the camera, 1080p or 4K mode).  Have you even tried this, are you saying it makes no difference?  Are you saying this point is useless?  What "fact" is not correct here?  I have not tried to see if in 4K mode the A6500 can output a 1080p signal and what quality that is, so I'm not sure about that part.  

- When the camera is locked down and you are doing a focus rack with shallow DOF, are you saying that this is impossible?  Why are you assuming that every shot must be moving... Are you telling me it would not be helpful to have a monitor that is very clear so that you can do a simple focus rack properly?  You literally just said using FF and F1.4 "focus is impossible for more than 1s".  So for any shot you are saying it is impossible and therefore useless?

- I never said anyone was using 4K actual resolution monitors, in fact no one in this thread said anything about the current or past usage of 4K actual resolution monitors - where are you even getting this from - please answer.

What facts did you offer against my "misinformation"??? Please make a clear list.

I used F1.4 as an example, but even FF F2.8 etc is difficult to focus with.  Everything I wrote was about how difficult it is to focus using 1080p rec mode and external monitors.  It is the opposite of "buy external monitor = ez focus ez life".  What myth am I propagating?  I never said 1080p signal on 4K monitor would make it easier.  Where did I imply this???!  I haven't even listed a 4K display resolution monitor! You are... making things up... If you read what I wrote, I said 4K signal to monitor makes it easier to focus, but still not perfect.  Why would someone with a D750 which has no 4K buy a 4K monitor based on what I said.  Please explain the logic here.  D750 has no 4K rec mode or 4K signal... 

If you can't answer these questions it means you're just not reading and obviously nothing I say is going to make a difference so... you can be right!  You win!  

I applaud new tech and implementation, surely anything that helps is welcome. The more the merrier, right? Else we might as well stick to shooting with the T2i/550D.

What I wouldn't quite say is that monitors are just about only good for quick glance framing and what not, just not for focus, because 'with 1080p or actually even 4K signals, you can't judge focus and that they're totally unusable'? But I didn't really have a problem pulling focus from the screen with the GH2 (crop sensor, not 4K) and say for example the vintage Pentax-M SMC Asahi 50mm f/1.4 back in the day to be honest. I even think the f/1.4 helps, as you can more clearly tell what is out of focus in front and behind. But you know, that's just silly old me and people do tend to call me 'eagle eyes' every now and again. I have 2x 5" and one 7" monitors, either of 'em only take 1080p input and I think it works fine for telling focus and sure, of course there's nothing wrong with focus aids either. But to say that all these monitors are pretty much unusable, I find quite the interesting statement, as Kisaha mentioned, there were times when that was all we did, pulling focus from what we see on the screen, making them usable apparently. And now they're suddenly not anymore, although it's only gotten better since?

But you know. Agree to disagree then. I won't deny that it's nice to have extra aids as well on these cameras and monitors or that you shouldn't use them, so I guess that's an area we can agree on. It's the philosophy 'most use of equipment', in other words: 'if you have it, why not use it?'. Like cruise control in a car. I just wouldn't go as far as saying without going there it's useless.

"Unfortunately a little increase of price could be imposed."

That was never a 99$ monitor, or whatever it was advertised in the beginning, and all the forums are full of people complaining about this company!

To increase a price, that has been increased before without the customers really knowing, isn't the best way to trust a company, I wouldn't.

In anyway, this is going to be one of the well know OEM monitor makers (Neway and Setec are making most of the cheap monitors, and medium priced, in the market anyway) that can be found on a different name from someone else, or bought straight from the factory in Alibaba, or whatever these platforms called.