Cheap 7 inch 1080p field monitors

Stab

Hi everyone,

I'm currently using a Seetec 5.6 inch 1280x800 monitor for my wedding shoots. It's not bad and it was very cheap. I got some cracks in the screen from weekly abuse and it's time for something better now. I don't want to spend too much on this as I bought already much gear this year. 

I came across this one:

http://www.cinemartin.com/monitors/7inch/loyal/lt/

Anyone has any experience with those? The specs are too good to be true at this price point, so there must be something off. I don't need perfect colors, but it should be at least a bit accurate so I don't end up with completely different looking footage.

Any other monitors that you know of that aren't expensive and give good quality for the price? Preferably 1080p and 5.6-7 inch? 
Thanks in advance. Happy shooting.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Stab said:

Hi everyone,

I'm currently using a Seetec 5.6 inch 1280x800 monitor for my wedding shoots. It's not bad and it was very cheap. I got some cracks in the screen from weekly abuse and it's time for something better now. I don't want to spend too much on this as I bought already much gear this year. 

I came across this one:

http://www.cinemartin.com/monitors/7inch/loyal/lt/

Anyone has any experience with those? The specs are too good to be true at this price point, so there must be something off. I don't need perfect colors, but it should be at least a bit accurate so I don't end up with completely different looking footage.

Any other monitors that you know of that aren't expensive and give good quality for the price? Preferably 1080p and 5.6-7 inch? 
Thanks in advance. Happy shooting.

Here's one I'm looking at.

8 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

I got this when they were selling them for US$118. https://goo.gl/JHRwCz Love using it. Great bang for the buck (obviously). Hiding in the back seat of a car today being able to monitor the windscreen mounted camera that was facing into the car. fx760

Apparently FeelWorld makes some great inexpensive monitors. I'm hoping a shop here can get me one that does 1920X1200 and can accept a 4K signal. But in the third world, not an easy task. Practically nobody here shoots 4K.

2 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Apparently FeelWorld makes some great inexpensive monitors. I'm hoping a shop here can get me one that does 1920X1200 and can accept a 4K signal. But in the third world, not an easy task. Practically nobody here shoots 4K.

Aliexpress doesn't ship there? This one takes the 4k from gx85 better than a predownsampled 1080. 

7 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

Aliexpress doesn't ship there? This one takes the 4k from gx85 better than a predownsampled 1080. 

They will, but customs could charge me $500.00 USD. They are like the mafia here. My only choice would be to refuse shipment, in which case, I could be out $200.

23 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

Looking at the specs, it doesn't say it supports 4K.

HDMI Support Mode: 480i/480p/576i/576p/ 720p(60/59.94/50/30 /29/25/24 /23.98)/1080i(60/59.94/50)/1080p(60/59.94/50/30/29.97/25/24/24fps/23.98/23.98fps)

26 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Looking at the specs, it doesn't say it supports 4K.

HDMI Support Mode: 480i/480p/576i/576p/ 720p(60/59.94/50/30 /29/25/24 /23.98)/1080i(60/59.94/50)/1080p(60/59.94/50/30/29.97/25/24/24fps/23.98/23.98fps)

I was curious to find out if it did or not. It does very well. Even on an older firmware than most seem to be and works great. Maybe I should make a little video of it in action to show how little I know about using monitors. At the moment I can move my fingers and not much else though. So much for my new bruce lee hobbie. - Anyway, I should have got 2 or 3 monitors when they were 120. 

I didn't like VS-2 finehd.

I have Neway CT710HO it's ok, takes 4k signal and is 7 inches.  I think there are newer versions now.  With 4K signal it looks nice and sharp.

Older cheaper monitor I had was Feelworld FW759 which was popular at the time because of low cost and 1280 resolution.  Newer model is out now for $180USD.  FW760 with full hd actual resolution.  FW759 was ok for the price, the newer version looks better but I don't know for sure - but don't get it if you are using 4K signal because all the reviews say there are problems with 4k input.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1261736-REG/feelworld_fw760_7_ips_ultra_thin_full.html

Feelworld G55 is like half priced SmallHD, still expensive though.  G7 is the bigger 7 inch version.  no 4K

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1251098-REG/feelworld_fwg55_g55_5_5_ips_full.html

Neway CK550s or Lilliput Q5 looks cool too.  no 4k

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KKJWS5U/ref=s9_simh_gw_g236_i2_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=F4C49D3AC2YNVMKWX1CW&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=a6aaf593-1ba4-4f4e-bdcc-0febe090b8ed&pf_rd_i=desktop

3 hours ago, scotchtape said:

Older cheaper monitor I had was Feelworld FW759 which was popular at the time because of low cost and 1280 resolution.  Newer model is out now for $180USD.  FW760 with full hd actual resolution.  FW759 was ok for the price, the newer version looks better but I don't know for sure - but don't get it if you are using 4K signal because all the reviews say there are problems with 4k input.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1261736-REG/feelworld_fw760_7_ips_ultra_thin_full.html

"All the reviews" - you linked one? I haven't actually tried dci4k (presumably there are people who actually use that) but works fine with UHD from the panasonics. 

On the RX100V if you set to output only via hdmi (and not memory card) then the output is UHD4k. If you set it to memory card + hdmi then the output is 1080. 

Thanks guys.

The Cinemartin 4k version still looks like the best option to me, but it hasn't really been on the market yet give or take a few copies. The seller told me on Facebook the shipping of both versions is 'delayed' up to 6-7 weeks. So that's not very comforting.

The Feelworld looks good as well, but I hear complaints about major battery drainage and the monitor stays on as long as a battery has been mounted. Someone wrote a review and stated he needs 4 Sony NP-F970 batteries on a day! I currently have a monitor (Seetec 5.6 inch) which doesn't even drain 1 one of those on a 14-hour wedding shoot. Also, there seems to be a delay. I don't know how big it is, but people complain about it.

Then, one more general question. I am planning to buy the Panasonic GH5 soon and shoot at 2160p at 50 frames per second. Are these monitors handeling such an input signal? Or does the GH5 already 'downscale' the HDMI-signal so (almost) any monitor can handle it?

The Cinemartin for instance has 2 versions. The HD version and the 4k version. The 4k version supports input up to 2160p 30 fps. So does anyone know how this works?

Thanks.

12 hours ago, Stab said:

The Feelworld looks good as well, but I hear complaints about major battery drainage and the monitor stays on as long as a battery has been mounted. Someone wrote a review and stated he needs 4 Sony NP-F970 batteries on a day! I currently have a monitor (Seetec 5.6 inch) which doesn't even drain 1 one of those on a 14-hour wedding shoot. Also, there seems to be a delay. I don't know how big it is, but people complain about it.

Then, one more general question. I am planning to buy the Panasonic GH5 soon and shoot at 2160p at 50 frames per second. Are these monitors handeling such an input signal? Or does the GH5 already 'downscale' the HDMI-signal so (almost) any monitor can handle it?

The little red power led stays on with battery attached. It changes to green when you turn the monitor on. 

I ran it non-stop for 5 hours and the charger said 25-35% remaining on the single 970 battery "batmax" from aliexp. So as per the rated power consumption.

Lag about 1/3 of a second - quite manageable. 4K output from GH4 gives best image results

Not sure on 50p - will have to see! On plugging in a 4k 25p source the monitor puts some text up top right showing the uhd resolution and "50Hz" which means the monitor is doing 50p already. The question is the downsampling on the fly maybe? 50p 1080 works. 4k from the GH4 works better than setting hdmi out to 1080.