Into the Badlands : great camera work and RED skintones

jcs

An example of excellent RED skintones and overall color. Not up to ARRI (especially highlights), however very saturated pleasing color that works well for the story. If you're into martial arts in a dystopian future with excellent acting (for the most part :)), great camera work, and cool music, check it out. Shane Hurlburt is DP; he also sells tutorials based on camera/lighting for the show.

Warning: don't start watching if you have anything important to do, it's pretty awesome! ;) 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 minutes ago, mercer said:

I just finished watching the first season of Taboo and I am surprised how much cinematography is going into these new shows. TV are almost exceeding movies nowadays. 

Yeah, I think it's been there for a while now. Kind of took me by surprise when I first started watching television again a couple years back. 

7 minutes ago, mercer said:

I just finished watching the first season of Taboo and I am surprised how much cinematography is going into these new shows. TV are almost exceeding movies nowadays. 

I think good TV has surpassed movies in 90% of the cases. when you count the quality vs. speed vs budget is incredible what the teams can achieve. A lot of them would look great on a big screen. IntoTB is a great show and I'm looking forward for the new season!

I am going to start that next, just do not have the time right now.

"TV" is the new cinema, it seems like everybody does episodes for something. It is a great medium to tell stories that can exceed the 90-120 minutes of an average movie, while the budget (in the good ones) are still there (Westworld, The man in the high castle, The expanse - which season 2 plays right now, etc etc) and through the new technologies, the audience is the whole world, mostly instantly.

Taboo was the last good one I watched recently, didn't deliver 100%, but technically was awesome and I liked the rhythm and the acting, scipt-wise there were a few black holes, but overall it was a very good experience.

There has been great television by renowned directors even as early as 1973, with Ingmar Bergman's powerful miniseries Scenes from a Marriage. And beginning in 1984, Edgar Reitz's epic Heimat, which I believe was shown on television before being released in theaters, but I'm not 100% sure about the chronology. Heimat was also my very first movie review. There must be others, but I'm no TV historian.

3 hours ago, jonpais said:

There has been great television by renowned directors even as early as 1973, with Ingmar Bergman's powerful miniseries Scenes from a Marriage. And beginning in 1984, Edgar Reitz's epic Heimat, which I believe was shown on television before being released in theaters, but I'm not 100% sure about the chronology. Heimat was also my very first movie review. There must be others, but I'm no TV historian.

Don't forget Alf and Small Wonder. 

Whoops I misspelled Shane's last name (it's Hurlbut not Hurlburt). Met him a few years ago in Hollywood, very cool guy to share his knowledge with the community. Some folks asked in another thread about the cinema look, here's his take on it: http://www.thehurlblog.com/set-badlands-night-interior-set-lighting-using-mixed-sources/ (from what he says and shows in the free video, you can watch it on Netflix and get a lot of ideas. His Inner Circle deal looks interesting (I purchased Peter Hurley's videos in the past for stills ( https://fstoppers.com/product/peter-hurley-art-behind-headshot ), it was worth it).