GH5 lens choices

Tsarbomba

Let me first say, I really love the forum. Mostly I just read through and watch the discussions, but need some help. Last 12 minths ive been doing alot more video. Once the specs were announced on the gh5 I pretty much immediately sold my 6D, 24-105, 35L II and 135L to pool my money into my move to m43. Gh5 has been ordered and Im really second guessing my lens choices. With the remaining money from the canon gear, I bought an Olympus 12-40mm 2.8 & 40-150 2.8. It seems like the logical choice based on the aputure and coverage of focal lengths. Today, I was watching some clips from my 35 II & 135, and I feel with the olympus lenses I might not get that WOW factor. Both those lenses produced special things. I have no real world experience saying the olympus lenses wont do incredible things. As Im actually just sitting on the lenses until the gh5 ships. 

All that said, with what I could get for both of them, would it be best to put that into a lens that has that wow factor? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Whenever I want super thin DOF or low-light ability, I put a Canon FD f1.2 55mm w/a speedbooster on my M43's.  I've always found it a pleasing glass combo.  The image is not perfect --and that's fine as far as I'm concerned.  It does offer character.

I also use Oly's 12-40 2.8 a lot.  When I want sharp, contrasty, and clean, that's the lens I go to.  Is it "special"?  Eh, maybe, depends on one's POV.  You're not going to see the same shallow DOF on that glass, but that's not nessecarily a bad thing either.

But basically, I'm a big fan of good older lenses.  If you like newer Canon lenses and the 35L II, why not get a metabones speedbooster adapter, buy another 35L II used, and keep using it?

Or, rent something like the Panasonic LUMIX G Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2 ASPH Power OIS Lens and see how that grabs you.  I'm curious of that myself and will probably give it a try this month.

TBH,moving away from canon kinda feels refeeshing. No doubt there glass is incredible, but using a metabones and canon glass just doesnt appeal to me. Even though it works. Hard to explain. Not to mention, just the 35 II eats up all the budget  for m43 lenses. 

As for trying sigma art. I first tried the 35mm ART before buying the 35 II and it had WAY to many missed auto focus. It wasnt one every once in a while. But more like 50/50. NEVER had that with the canon. So thats my sigma experience :(

I have used the sigma art lenses with many different cameras, and while I love them, I'm going a different direction with my GH5.

I'm ditching the SB, and sticking with native glass, mostly because, the GX85, and the 42.5 f1.2 ruined me. The quality surprised me, and I loved the combo. I'm keeping the size/weight as minimal as I can, and wanting to stick with the simplicity of shooting without adapters.

For me it will be my Olympus 25mm Pro, and Panasonic Leica 42.5mm F1.2. Ive sold my Panny 15mm will be getting the 12mm. May even pick up the Oly 12-100 f4 for a all around.

Pana 12mm f1.4, Oly 25mm f1.2, and Pana 42.5 f1.2 is a prettttty hard trio to beat if you want sharp, shallow "wow" images- and the cost is  a a bit "wow" too.

But you haven't told us anything about what and how you like to shoot, so it's hard to advise on what would work for what & how you like to shoot. Not everyone's style or shooting scenarios work with only three primes.

THE VOIGTANDER 25/.095 IS THE WOW LENS - its great for low light, has a super close focal distance which when teamed up with open aperture settings lets you get some really magic shots

- but you will need a wider and longer option also for complete angle coverage.

9 hours ago, Tsarbomba said:

Let me first say, I really love the forum. Mostly I just read through and watch the discussions, but need some help. Last 12 minths ive been doing alot more video. Once the specs were announced on the gh5 I pretty much immediately sold my 6D, 24-105, 35L II and 135L to pool my money into my move to m43. Gh5 has been ordered and Im really second guessing my lens choices. With the remaining money from the canon gear, I bought an Olympus 12-40mm 2.8 & 40-150 2.8. It seems like the logical choice based on the aputure and coverage of focal lengths. Today, I was watching some clips from my 35 II & 135, and I feel with the olympus lenses I might not get that WOW factor. Both those lenses produced special things. I have no real world experience saying the olympus lenses wont do incredible things. As Im actually just sitting on the lenses until the gh5 ships. 

All that said, with what I could get for both of them, would it be best to put that into a lens that has that wow factor? 

I would think the lenses you have purchased will be very nice.       What is wow factor to you?

What they wont give you is shallow depth of field comparable to the three Canon lenses above.

Even the 24-105 will give a stop shallower DOF (used FF) against the 2.8 M4/3 zooms and you would need a 17.5mm f0.7 lens to match the 35.      The 135 f2 L is a very nice lens too and a bargain these days (I regret selling mine sometimes).

So, the lenses you have may well be wow enough but depends on what you want.       Maybe adding one or two faster M4/3 primes would do it along with those zooms.

For my limited video use and for stills, I am fine with a 5.6 lens FF though and that is matched for DOF by the 2.8 M4/3 zooms.

Thanks for everyones help. After watching some more video footage on the Leica lens, Ive come to the conclusion im most likely going to sell the Oly 12-40 & 40-150 for tge Leica 15 & 42.5. Ill hold off until the GH5 comes in, but I think Ill want the faster lenses down the road. And in a few months add the oly 75 1.8.