Ursa Mini Pro - BM will sell 20,000 of these

Ed_David

I was wrong.

I was a fool.

I bought a Ursa Mini 4.6k EF mount.

A week before the Ursa Mini Pro came out.

Opps.

But, still, this camera is incredible.

I was an idiot for criticizing them.

And now with the pro, they have delivered an ideal camera - capable of Raw or log for only $6000.  That looks like an alexa.  That is built well.  That is small.  That seems to not overheat.  A really amazing camera.

Blackmagic has done what Red had dreamed of.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Don't URSA Mini 4.6K EF owners get a hefty discount on the new camera, bringing it down to something like $3500 so I heard and you get to keep your existing camera.... bargain.

4.6K sensor looks nice, it's a custom design and not off the shelf scientific.

And the old Mini 4.6K is still nice.... Pro is just the same camera with NDs and more buttons!

UM 4.6K is simply awesome, i love every time shooting with it. I have been 5d3 ML raw shooter from the beginning of ML raw revolution (over 3 years from now) and still have it but the ability to record compressed 60fps 4.6k raw (and 120fps 2K) with such a latitude to inexpensive SSD (via breakout cable) is amazing. After using 5d3 raw i just couldnt step back to compressed format. I had also BMPC4k for a year or so, it was much, much better than expected after watching and reading reviews but UM46k is in another league. 5inch screen for me is bright and sharp enough to use it even during sunny day, much less reflective than BMPC4k (i dont have an EVF), ability to punch in to check focus (and move the zoom around the screen) during recording is great. The whole 4.0 update with complete new menus improved the usability dramatically, it is co nice to use now. And free- full version of resolve - it is so good to have proper NR and motion blur tools. Really guys, Blackmagic has done a very good camera. PRO will probably have the same image so now with 4.0 menus with my type of shooting (music videos) it is no big deal, PRO is also 300 gram heavier than normal 46k (i use my ursa on glidecam handheld almost every day so i fight with every gram, i use small 150gram custom made 12v battery packs) and without EVF it will be harder to focus on smaller screen.

12 hours ago, Ed_David said:

I was wrong.

I was a fool.

I bought a Ursa Mini 4.6k EF mount.

A week before the Ursa Mini Pro came out.

Opps.

But, still, this camera is incredible.

I was an idiot for criticizing them.

And now with the pro, they have delivered an ideal camera - capable of Raw or log for only $6000.  That looks like an alexa.  That is built well.  That is small.  That seems to not overheat.  A really amazing camera.

Blackmagic has done what Red had dreamed of.

Did you buy it used? If not you could still return it.

I bought it new but from Texas Media Systems where there is a 20% restocking fee, so that would tank me like $1000.  VS just selling it. And plus , after the initial fiasco of the ursa mini 4.6k sensors, I don't 'think I would buy the pro right away - I would still wait like 3 months for them to "beta test" it.

Motion cadence is fine - I'm used to that.  Still the BM pocket is silky smooth but but I like the super35mm FOV and I don't have to frankenstein a rig together.

The fixed pattern noise is ugly - but this is a $6k camera.  The imagery with enough light is a tiny alexa.  It has beautiful color and skintones and sharpness.

It blows the dirt out of the fs7 image and the c300 ii image.  It's all in 6k- well you get a battery mount and top handle and it's like $6500, and boom, you are off.  But compare that to the FS7 which - you are forced to shoot everything at 2000 ISO right?  And just has that Sony ugly weird orange skintone thingy.

The sensor on the one I have has no issues that I can find - haven't seen a magneta cast.  I think they solved that.

Customer support - for a small company in Australia - you get what you pay for.  You basically can buy 2 for the price of one c300 ii.  that should solve any in the field tech support issues :)

2 hours ago, Ed_David said:

I bought it new but from Texas Media Systems where there is a 20% restocking fee, so that would tank me like $1000.  VS just selling it. And plus , after the initial fiasco of the ursa mini 4.6k sensors, I don't 'think I would buy the pro right away - I would still wait like 3 months for them to "beta test" it.

Motion cadence is fine - I'm used to that.  Still the BM pocket is silky smooth but but I like the super35mm FOV and I don't have to frankenstein a rig together.

The fixed pattern noise is ugly - but this is a $6k camera.  The imagery with enough light is a tiny alexa.  It has beautiful color and skintones and sharpness.

It blows the dirt out of the fs7 image and the c300 ii image.  It's all in 6k- well you get a battery mount and top handle and it's like $6500, and boom, you are off.  But compare that to the FS7 which - you are forced to shoot everything at 2000 ISO right?  And just has that Sony ugly weird orange skintone thingy.

The sensor on the one I have has no issues that I can find - haven't seen a magneta cast.  I think they solved that.

Customer support - for a small company in Australia - you get what you pay for.  You basically can buy 2 for the price of one c300 ii.  that should solve any in the field tech support issues :)

Have you filmed anything with it yet... would be cool to see a NYC through the eyes of EdDavid and an Ursa.

I saw a Sony F65 for sale on DVXUSER today $22k complete kit minus lens, batteries, and tripod, seems like a good deal! I wonder if Ed David still has his F65? Ed did love his old F35 and produced some great images with that. Tools, we do love our tools.

F65 kit

INCLUDED:
-Sony F65 brain, with SRR4 recorder & control panel
-Sony OLED EVF
-1x 1TB SRMemory card (blue)
-1x 256GB SRMemory card (black)
-Gold Mount battery plate
-Extended length power cable for use with DC power block
-SRPC4 high-speed card reader 
-Set of 19mm carbon fiber rods (12" & 8")
-Travel case
$22K

I've seen that kit too, jaw dropping, for 22k.. give it a few years and you might be able to pick that up for F35 prices. Great times.

I am eyeballing the FS700, killer prices bundled up with an Odyssey 7Q.

The Ursa Mini 4.6k is good but the lurking magenta corners with FPN makes me want to forget it, I don't want to gamble at that price. The Pro has NDs now and a set of control knobs which is cool but the FS700 still has that super useful 240fps scaled down from the whole sensor & 4K/120 burst vs the cropped 120fps on the Mini, built in NDs are also there. Some say colours are tricky but if I want an easy ride I could just pick up my BMPCC.

Again, great times, so many choices.

30 minutes ago, Liszon said:

I've seen that kit too, jaw dropping, for 22k.. give it a few years and you might be able to pick that up for F35 prices. Great times.

I am eyeballing the FS700, killer prices bundled up with an Odyssey 7Q.

The Ursa Mini 4.6k is good but the lurking magenta corners with FPN makes me want to forget it, I don't want to gamble at that price. The Pro has NDs now and a set of control knobs which is cool but the FS700 still has that super useful 240fps scaled down from the whole sensor & 4K/120 burst vs the cropped 120fps on the Mini, built in NDs are also there. Some say colours are tricky but if I want an easy ride I could just pick up my BMPCC.

Again, great times, so many choices.

Actually I am selling my F65 as well.  I'm putting the money into my wife's film I'm shooting.

Yes, it's not universal what one person would like vs another person.  Rent a bunch, do a test, and get the one that you like the most, and you find the most valuable for your needs.

I wouldn't buy a FS700 even for 1600$, the two I was using the last few years are -literally- fallen apart, the build quality is terrible, there is NO handling whatsoever, ergonomics are Sony's best (worst) job. I do still use it from time to time for slow mo, ok, but I would never buy this camera with my money. The one we use most was given to us (to the production company, not me) when we started a motor show a few years ago (together with some lenses, much obliged!), but they never stick. One of the reasons (and some other terrible Sony experiences I had through the years) I am so disrespectful to Sony, and not sold 100% yet to FS5.

You do not have to have an easy ride, you should have a constructive and productive career; our job is enough complicated and "difficult" as it is, without added burdens.

Now that's good to know, thanks Kisaha for sharing that. I would also use it for slow-mo mainly, and some of my full frame still lenses have that magical look that goes missing on the BMPCC so I could stick those on the Sony with a Speedbooster from time to time. I love how my Helios 58mm looks like on full frame:

strikerartur.com/archives/projects/hitchhiking-to-italy

I shot with it on film my whole life and I would love to have the look back in motion. The 8bit and jello on the A7 line just doesn't cut it for me.

32 minutes ago, Ed_David said:

I'm putting the money into my wife's film I'm shooting.

Sorry to go off a bit but Ed, are you shooting a feature now? I've been following you on vimeo for probably a year now, well actually I kept liking your videos for years only to realise much later that it's the same guy who makes them! Haha.