Sony a57 or NEX-5r?

Inazuma

Hi there,

First of all, thanks to EOSHD for all the articles and videos. They've been extremely insightful.

Now a question to the forumers (and the man himself if he's around). I'm an "amateur enthusiast" if you will. I shoot mostly stills but would definitely like to get into doing short films.

I have considered the GH2 and Nikon D5200 but the former is too expensive and the latter is 24 megapixel (too much really) and also too expensive.

Eventually I heard about the Sony a57, and it's on its way to me now. The issue I have is that from most videos I've seen, the video quality seems poor. And then there are some that look great. Another gripe is that it has quite a limited lens range, and they're mostly very expensive.

What's attracting me to the NEX-5r is that although it only has a few lenses dedicated to it, I can actually buy mounts to adapt lenses from other systems. Also it has a more up to date sensor. I hear the a57 uses the 2010 D7000 sensor? The possible dealbreakers are the lack of flash and viewfinder. Also if you use one of those attachments, you can't use the other. However, I quite rarely use flash anyway and up til now I've always used compact point and shoots.

So can anyone give me advise? Maybe the most important factor is whether or not the NEX produces better stills and video or not.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs