is there a way to make my external monitor portable?

craigbuckley

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I am curious, as to whether people use their Smartphones and tablets, as external monitors, since they seem more portable, and noticeably cheaper, as monitors. Also, with Apps like DSLR Controller (and Panasonic's app for the GH3 etc) you can control your camera, externally, through wire/ or wi-fi. 

I'm likely going to investigate the use of inexpensive, Retina-based Android tablets for "video village" on an upcoming project.  

Things have come a long way from pulling/pushing around a 24" HDTV CRT, weighing in at near 100lbs and about 2' deep or so, on this library-looking A/V cart.  The Texas summer heat likely took its toll on that sucker's guts but those old Sony broadcast monitors were certainly "built Ford tough".

As for that monitor listed above, you need to order one of the battery plates it's designed to use.  That or invest in a lot of "stingers" (extension cords).

I'm likely going to investigate the use of inexpensive, Retina-based Android tablets for "video village" on an upcoming project.  

I am guessing, that, if you use a retina resolution display, then, you would need a reasonably fast processor, so, that, there isn't too much,or any lag, and, that, the video doesn't hang. Something, probably, as fast, if not faster, than the Google Nexus 10, or faster. I am only guessing, especially, after I read about the i5 based Panasonic 4k Tablet's video hanging, during one of those electronic shows.

Here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.dslrcontroller&feature=related_apps

There are, apparently, quite a few apps, which help monitor photos and video for Canon and Nikon DSLRs. Unfortunately, except Panasonic's own (for the GH3), I didn't really find one, for Panasonic.

Also, you should check out the right stand, wire/ cable and other accessories.

Check out the thread on Personal-View for inexpensive Android handhelds.  

I tried, but, couldn't find the topic there.

Also, I found the juvenile policing by Vitaly extremely weird. Its like one is back in kindergarden. Also, his views regarding a lot of products are strange, considering, from the views, which are contrary to user reviews, and his admissions, that he has never really used them. He dismisses a lot of products, he has absolute no idea about.  

Yeah....he's kinda an acquired taste.  I ran afoul of his often contradictory ways but have since found a balance where I just see him like a lot of people I know who are very smart.  Some smart people will comment (often in an authoritative way) on things they don't have direct experience with based on prior knowledge of various related issues.  They recognize that without serious, paradigm shifting changes to technology or manufacturing you can make very educated guesses regarding new stuff based on knowing how, who and with what it was put together. 

They aren't always going to be right but more often than not they will.  They'd rather folks believe them up-front than play "I told you so" weeks, months or years later.  You get kinda used to that when you've worked with some of the folks that I've worked with, who are just scary, scary smart (imagine the cast of Big Bang theory, but with more psychadelics).  I guess my point is, in the cases where they do end up being wrong it's never arbitrary.  They always had a reason for thinking what they did at the time.  Now, getting them to admit they were wrong, that's a different story, lol.

Anyway, here's the threads:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/4674/chinese-manufacturers-catched-leaders-and-went-ahead-of-ipads/p1

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/4653/chinese-offer-tablets-with-retina-screen

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/3693/hacked-playback-on-android-tablets

...that last one is good for reference as well, making sure to get one with enough lead in its pencil is likely important as well as knowing what supplemental software would be needed for playback of footage directly, if necessary.

Wow. That's really nice of you. And, the links are really informative.

I usually let the over-smart people, on film sets (and in Life, otherwise, as well), shoot themselves, in the foot. At times, I even instigate them, to try and push their confidence, on subjects they have absolutely no idea about. Sometimes, people don't notice, but, when they do, its a dirty laugh riot ...  :P

Thanks again 

Wow. That's really nice of you. And, the links are really informative.

No problem.  I had these saved for later reference and this thread jogged my memory.   

I fully expect a lot of these to be the cheapest kind of brittle, injection molded plastic compared to the big boys but I'm always very gentle with my equipment so I'm not worried that I'd break one.  I still have almost all of the cell phones I've ever owned and none of them have ever been broken or cracked or even scuffed up from dropping on pavement, etc.   I'm extra careful because I get anxiety issues over nicks, scratches and scuffs on my stuff :(

Any idea on what resolution the live view output is over USB? For the Nikons, I think it will be far below the quality of the HDMI output, and probably not even better than monitoring on the rear LCD.

Too bad the only solution with tablets is to use USB since no tablets have HDMI-in. I'm still hoping that some tablet manufacturer will find it reasonable to include HDMI-in sooner or later...

No problem.  I had these saved for later reference and this thread jogged my memory.   

I fully expect a lot of these to be the cheapest kind of brittle, injection molded plastic compared to the big boys but I'm always very gentle with my equipment so I'm not worried that I'd break one.  I still have almost all of the cell phones I've ever owned and none of them have ever been broken or cracked or even scuffed up from dropping on pavement, etc.   I'm extra careful because I get anxiety issues over nicks, scratches and scuffs on my stuff :(

Hahaha ... I know what you're talking about. I have a lot of old gizmos too. But, not all of them are in great shape. I have the spotless, for 6-12 months. Once they fall, then they start falling, every few days, flying out of moving cars, down staircases, etc etc. They still work, perfectly we;;, but, they just don't look, that good, aesthetically ...  :P