Just received my SLR Magic HyperPrime Cine 25mm T/0.95 mFT

LudaCliff

I've been using the SLR Magic 25mm for what will have been several hours of live recordings now over a number of weeks, I used to use the Cosina Voigtlander 25mm before with a focus gear.

I’m finding the SLR Magic to be a delight, having the in-built lens gear means no slipping as I’d have occasionally with the Voigtlander and the sharpness really appeals to me.

Anyway here’s a couple of examples of the 25mm in use:

http://vimeo.com/62111836

This I did on Saturday with the 12mm also in use side of the stage.

http://vimeo.com/65099742

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Have to say, I recieved the 25mm last week and it's great.  No issues with aperture ring (so far!).

One tip:  they want to charge you $50-$80 for the step up ring, the built-in lens hood has a 55mm thread, get a $5 step up ring for that to attach filters.  Wouldn't put a clamp-on matte box on it, but it works fine for round filters.

Have to say, I recieved the 25mm last week and it's great.  No issues with aperture ring (so far!).

One tip:  they want to charge you $50-$80 for the step up ring, the built-in lens hood has a 55mm thread, get a $5 step up ring for that to attach filters.  Wouldn't put a clamp-on matte box on it, but it works fine for round filters.

Awesome! Thank you for saving me money.

It's not that simple, a normal step up alone will block the focus movement so you can't focus to infinity.

It's discussed here (there is an alternative solution using a coupler first): http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/5908/25mm-f0.95-slrmagic-topic/p6

It's not that simple, a normal step up alone will block the focus movement so you can't focus to infinity.

It's discussed here (there is an alternative solution using a coupler first): http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/5908/25mm-f0.95-slrmagic-topic/p6

That is if you are using the 49mm filter thread, the lens hood itself has a filter thread as well and it's 55mm.  If you can deal with the fact that it rotates then it's a much cheaper solution to attach filters to the lens hood (my 55mm to 77mm cost $5).  Of course this can be a little tricky with gradual ND filters, but as long as you keep the lens hood extended, there will be no problem with focusing to infinity.  And ofcourse I wouldn't put a clamp-on matte box on the lens hood.

That is if you are using the 49mm filter thread, the lens hood itself has a filter thread as well and it's 55mm.  If you can deal with the fact that it rotates then it's a much cheaper solution to attach filters to the lens hood (my 55mm to 77mm cost $5).  Of course this can be a little tricky with gradual ND filters, but as long as you keep the lens hood extended, there will be no problem with focusing to infinity.  And ofcourse I wouldn't put a clamp-on matte box on the lens hood.

I'm not 100% sure that's the best solution but I see what you're saying.

I'm not 100% sure that's the best solution but I see what you're saying.

The best solution is to buy the $50 ($80 if you buy it separately) proprietary lens hood, but a $5 55-77mm step up makes the same difference for all intents and purposes, you just have to be mindful of the fact that the lens hood is not fixed in place.