Just received my SLR Magic HyperPrime Cine 25mm T/0.95 mFT

LudaCliff

Hello EOSHD community, thank you for allowing me on your forum.  I just ordered and received this week my SLR Magic HyperPrime 25mm Cine T/0.95. I emailed them last month and was placed on their pre-order list. I received an email from Jane at SLR Magic late last week stating they are taking payment for pre-orders. I completed payment via PayPal that night and the next day received an email that the lens was shipping that day, and I received the lens two days later!

They are discounting the lens $150 for a limited time, and for the first 100 customers they are giving a free lens-specific 49mm-77mm step-up ring and lens cloth. I have not shot with the lens much yet, but so far image quality is very nice wide open at T/0.95. Of course, focusing at T/0.95 can be difficult as depth of field is beyond razor thin. I have posted only a few SOOC JPEG samples from my GH3 and plan to upload more as I can. I bought this lens primarily for video on my GH3 and will also be posting some sample video when I can. So far it is an incredible lens, in both build and image quality.  I am new to shooting video and the info I have found on this forum have been invaluable.  Again, thank you.    

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ludacliff_78/sets/72157632997278386/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hey there I just got my SLR magic 25mm .95 as well..

Have you noticed any problems with the aperture ring? Mine stopped working for a bit, ( I couldn't adjust the aperture) but then started working... I know its not the camera because my other lenses worked just fine. The aperture ring also feels a little clicky... Have you felt this? Other than that its an amazing lens.

(can't adjust the aperture currently)

Hey there I just got my SLR magic 25mm .95 as well..

Have you noticed any problems with the aperture ring? Mine stopped working for a bit, ( I couldn't adjust the aperture) but then started working... I know its not the camera because my other lenses worked just fine. The aperture ring also feels a little clicky... Have you felt this? Other than that its an amazing lens.

(can't adjust the aperture currently)

Craig,

The aperture ring on my lens is perfect, buttery smooth and no clicks.  I'm not sure what's going on with lens, but that doesn't sound too good.  I would definitely contact SLR Magic about it. 

Does the aperture ring turn, but the blades do not move...or does the ring just not turn at all?   

It turns fine but nothing happens to the aperture, it just stays the same when I turn it. It eventually kicked backed on but then it kicked out again...

I also noticed a TAD delay coming from the focus ring.. Almost a little clicky.. I'm going to post a video with the results soon to show.

Just to add to this, I've only used the lens for an hour but I had no problem with the focus ring, even with the GH3's rather poor EVF I've found the SLR Magic lens easy to use, having said that I've used the Voitglander regularly so I'm used to working manually.

I've posted it on a couple of forums already so it's a video you may have seen but this was my first hour (well 45 mins actually as I'd to get back to watch Arsenal lose on the TV :P ) with the lens:

https://vimeo.com/61775147

You'll normally get 20% VAT, occassionally packages from Hong Kong get through without but I'd always price in VAT as the vast majority of goods do correctly get tax added.

I looked at the c mount lens but that definately wouldn't do as an alternative for me, I want to use a follow focus and ideally without using a third party focus ring, I wouldn't want to increase the scale of the footage either to deal with vignetting.

Yeah that's what I mean. There is a bit of delay in the focus ring, not nearly as tight as the aperture ring. But honestly, what am I to expect out of a lens I got for $700 bucks you know? Anyway, I e-mailed Andrew Chan. I will let you know what I hear back. 

-Ben 

Got a response back!

"Small amount of movement is normal.  When the lens is very very smooth, there is the most movement that you are talking about.  When there is no movement, the lens would be so hard to turn that you need a very strong tripod mount to ensure no camera movement while focusing.  Something in between, not too loose and not too tight, is what we try to achieve.

If you wish, we can exchange another lens for you, but we cannot guarantee that the exchange lens would be looser or the same or tighter than the lens you have now.  Usually, if image does not jump up and down while changing direction of focus, we consider that normal."

My image doesn't jump up and down. So I'm not sending it back.

-Ben

Hey anyone have any problems with the aperture ring on the SLR magic 25mm? I was on a shoot the other day and when I hooked up my slr 25mm the aperture ring didn't work... It has happened a couple of times. I kept taking it on and off and rotating the ring but nothing was happening... Eventually it started to work again but I was wondering if anyone heard of this? Is there a possibility I'm hitting something on the gh2 that disables aperture control?

Hi Craig,

Yes I have had problems with the aperture ring on an SLR magic lens.

I received one brand new from Hong Kong. I was really pleased but as soon as I tried it out I realised it was defective.

I closed the iris down and it sprung back open a bit.

I think I only closed it down twice saw it move back open then looked into the lens and could see all the coating shredding off the aperture blades.

I sent it back and got a replacement.

Craig you should take the lens off the camera and look inside the lens in a well lit room to see if you can see the aperture blades move when you rotate the iris ring. If the iris blades don't move, the aperture doesn't get bigger or smaller, when you turn the aperture ring something is very wrong and you should send it back.