Exporting from resolve for movie theatre?

redimp

Hey!

So my debut work is gonna be shown in a local cinema, and I have a test run tomorrow morning.

I have never exported anything for the movie theaters and would need some help.

I was told that the footage is supposed to be in DCP format, 2k res. When I export my project from Resolve, I can only see easyDCP format, and am not sure if that's the one I need. I am also not sure which coded I should use (footage shot is ProresHQ).

There's also a bunch of setting under "advanced" dropdown in resolve, do I need to touch any of those?

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

EasyDCP is, as it says, the easiest way to export a DCP there is. Did that a couple of times with my own stuff, and didn't worry about the watermark. Just keep in mind that DCPs usually need to be 24 (not 23, 98...) fps, and that "2k" either refers to 16:9 - 1920 x 1080 (if an HD film runs in between 2048 clips, it will then have narrow black borders on all sides) and 2048 x 1152- or 17:9, 2048 x 1106 (standard cinema widescreen, as you can see similar to HD). Or of course Scope, 2048 X 848.

However, EasyDCP is not free, the licence is like 1500 bucks last time I checked. OpenDCP (for instance) is free, and afaik it now accepts ProRes as input, but the audio needs special treatment. You should then read the FAQ. And test the DCP in (any) cinema in advance!

EDIT: I consider it somewhat risky to have just one day left for your first DCP. It's about as complicated as authoring a DVD, and as many things can go wrong. So either you hurry to get it done on your own and test it, leave the task for someone who did it before or ask the cinema, if their projector likes Blurays or has a scaler (that means the projector accepts any laptop signal like a beamer would). Probably the standard with every newer server-projector-system because it allows to rent the cinema out to companies for keynotes and sth. like that.

It exports easy DCP just fine, I just can't look at what's inside, so not sure about above mentioned watermarks (are those from resolve itself? If so, I'm not using light, but a full version). Tomorrow is a test run, so there's no stress, as I can have as many of test runs as I want, each limited to 10 minutes every morning before theatre starts letting people in.

My video is a mix of 1:2.66 anamorphic footage and 3:4 academy, so I'm still trying to figure out which of the 2K setting I should choose. 2K Flat has black bars on the left and right of anamorphic footage.

5 hours ago, redimp said:

It exports easy DCP just fine, I just can't look at what's inside, so not sure about above mentioned watermarks (are those from resolve itself? If so, I'm not using light, but a full version). Tomorrow is a test run, so there's no stress, as I can have as many of test runs as I want, each limited to 10 minutes every morning before theatre starts letting people in.

My video is a mix of 1:2.66 anamorphic footage and 3:4 academy, so I'm still trying to figure out which of the 2K setting I should choose. 2K Flat has black bars on the left and right of anamorphic footage.

It depends on the aspect of the screen that you are projecting on! If your projecting on a screen that is Scope, format for that, if your projecting in a mainly FLAT environment go with that container. Whichever makes your image larger to the audience.

I've used OpenDCP in the past and it is effective, but I actually recommend DCP-O-Matic, simple setup and you get a preview of the project. It's free just like OpenDCP, and accepts Prores and DNxHD files then does the full conversion.