Nikon V1 - shooting 4K 60fps raw for $200

Andrew Reid

Wanted to share my first video shot with the V2's burst mode. I used in camera JPEG for this video. My girlfriend and I are on exchange to Singapore for half a year and I had to leave my desktop workstation behind. My 4 year old MacBook Pro doesn't have the power to cope with raw burst sequences and since I'm on holiday at the moment I didn't want to spend too much time editing this. Premiere Pro already crashed on me enough times during this project xD Next time I'd like to make some more 'longer' shots using e.g. Twixtor.

I rendered a 4k ProRes proxy and uploaded the 2gb video to YouTube so 4k is available for people with a 4k monitor.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi leeys, I would like to know if it works consistently with a Sandisk 95mbs card.  I don't care about AF.  I would care that exposure could be set manually and locked.  I imagine you're right that it would be too jittery for sound, but how would it look if one were doing a silent art film type thing?  Anyway, if anyone knows of any 20fps 4K samples out that please post.  It is strange don't you think that it seems that camera is close to 24fps 4K and their other cameras are, well, as Andrew has pointed out... :)

Yea, it will. The camera doesn't care what memory card you put it - that high speed burst is all written to the camera's buffer at first. The V1 has a 256MB buffer that accommodates 30 raw files, while the V2 has a 512MB buffer that stores 40. I'm not certain about the V3 as Nikon are not releasing the camera where I am. After that the buffer flushes to the SD card. Thus the only difference a fast SD card makes is the time it takes for the buffer to empty. On a V2 the fastest I ever got was ~20 seconds, or about 25MB/s. The Sandisk Extreme Pro, Extreme Plus (or Extreme 80MB/s), Lexar 600x and Samsung Pro (2014) can achieve this, based on my testing.

Also, if you're not interested in AF, you can do 60 FPS with *any* Nikon 1 camera. If you want exposure controls, then you want the V2.

Thinking about this, it's a bit of a letdown by Nikon. With the V2 onwards they could've capitalised on this by giving it a buffer deep enough for more photos. There are budget smartphones under US$200 with 2GB of RAM now, so imagine that on the V2; that's enough for 160 images, or 6.67 seconds worth of video at 24 FPS.

Maybe we should badger Nikon to see if they can offer a memory upgrade service like they did for the D1X and the D3

20FPS *with* AF. To break it down:

The V1 with CAF does 10 FPS, the V2 15 FPS, and the V3 20 FPS.

As I mentioned, if you're not interested in AF, then it doesn't matter. All top out at 60 FPS. The V1's buffer allows 30 frames to be shot, the V2 40, and I have no idea about the V3, though it also seems to be 40 frames.

• 1 month later...

Glad to see that you guys still make stuff with the V's. Here is my last burst video:

http://youtu.be/Nw8H4v0zN_0

This time I used a Kowa anamorphic lens attached to my 35mm f2 Helios. This is the V2, therefore it is 5K. Specially good for the job as it shoots 4:3, so you can get proper anamorphic aspect.

• 1 month later...

Glad to see that you guys still make stuff with the V's. Here is my last burst video:

http://youtu.be/Nw8H4v0zN_0

This time I used a Kowa anamorphic lens attached to my 35mm f2 Helios. This is the V2, therefore it is 5K. Specially good for the job as it shoots 4:3, so you can get proper anamorphic aspect.

Looks lovely with the anamorphics! Would really like to try that out myself :)

I've already posted a few videos here where I used the V2's Burst Mode, but I haven't yet shown you my first! It's the best so far and took my quite a while to finish editing.

You can read about the process of making this short film on my blog if you're interested: https://jip.debeer.it/pyro-the-experiment-of-my-first-nikon-1-4k-raw-film/

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Holy lord! I can't believe you guys made these with the Nikon 1! This looks very very high images, red and alexa high! Absolutely loved the 5K anamorphic one especially, really really filmic image that I would blindly guess it was shot on the highest end 35mm film! Good job. Will definitely be using these cameras when Nikon extends that image cature ability to at least 3-4 seconds. Such a waste of a perfect image, the deep rich colours, DR, highlight rolloff, raw grain, great lowlight, big waste Nikon!

timpy, how did you post process the footage?