Nikon V1 - shooting 4K 60fps raw for $200

Andrew Reid

Arthurr I use them both in different situations.  Whenever I'm around water or very fast motion I use the 60 frame/.5 second mode because Twixtor has more to work with when creating new frames.  I'd say just stay away from birds/flying bugs and low light situations.  The regular 30fps works well 80% of the time.  When I use twixtor, I drop my 1 second sequence of RAW files into a 3 second timeline. right click on the sequence -> frame blending -> pixel motion.  Then I use the time remapping in AE to stretch the sequence out to 3 seconds, without actually moving the slider for time remapping (this gives Twixtor a blank slate to work on).  Then I apply Twixtor, change the input frame rate to 30 and the speed to 33.33% (and turn on smart blend).  I usually don't touch the other settings unless the exported clip doesn't look good.  Hope this helps!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Arthurr I use them both in different situations.  Whenever I'm around water or very fast motion I use the 60 frame/.5 second mode because Twixtor has more to work with when creating new frames.  I'd say just stay away from birds/flying bugs and low light situations.  The regular 30fps works well 80% of the time.  When I use twixtor, I drop my 1 second sequence of RAW files into a 3 second timeline. right click on the sequence -> frame blending -> pixel motion.  Then I use the time remapping in AE to stretch the sequence out to 3 seconds, without actually moving the slider for time remapping (this gives Twixtor a blank slate to work on).  Then I apply Twixtor, change the input frame rate to 30 and the speed to 33.33% (and turn on smart blend).  I usually don't touch the other settings unless the exported clip doesn't look good.  Hope this helps!

Many thanks for you help, received the V1 today so about to have a little test run. I'm hoping that Twixtor will be able to cope with people walking in the scenery as I imagine a lot of my shots will be just that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So my question is, could i shoot videoclips (raw) with that camera?

When you shoot raw with NIKON V1, do you have to press the button all the time or you press it one time and it shoots raw till you stop it?

you have to hold and hol the button...you can do whatever you want with this camera, but you are limeted by 30/60 images...1sec or 2sec of slow-mo.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, here is one promo-video in which Nikon V1 was used for slo-mo. Workflow is described in comments section.

- few visible clitches are mainly my fault 'cause i was bit lazy working with motion vectors in Nuke

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/80891136" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="

">Daniel Blinnikka - Purjelautailija - "Going for gold"</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/lomagraphics">Loma Graphics</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeap, quite interesting. Suppose the Nikon V1 could indeed be a nice toy along with the other toys. I could do some cool high def. B-roll or even highlights with it, to be added to my regular footage shot with other cameras. Or, I could even stitch up an entire piece of 4K burst film, like people here have done. I wonder if the "1" in the Nikon 1 really stands for 1 second films?  :P

Anyway, I checked the specs of the Nikon 1 models and looks like they use EN-EL15, 20 and 21 batteries, the EN-EL20 in J1 being the same as the one in BMPCC. I'm not too familiar with Nikon batteries any longer, so does that mean that only the J1 battery (and charger)  is compatible with the BMPCC? Is the one in V1 (and V2) indeed different shape and size? Or are the batteries and chargers the same size, but only different capacity? If they're all different, that would be a bit of a bummer.

What I'm obviously curious about is whether not the V1 could make a nice compatible companion to a BMPCC, sharing the same batteries and charger. 

Another question that I wish the current V1 owners here could answer is if the regular HD video quality of the V1 is any good? Usable, in HDSLR terms, even G6/GH3 territory, or the usual jagged track to moireland?

Please feel free to post links to your regular 1080 videos if you happen to have some.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dear all! I realize I'm late to the party... but I bought a Nikon 1 v2 immediately after I came across the original article on EOSHD and seeing the amazing results in this thread. I read all these 18 pages with great excitement. The video's of Tom Beal are my favorites and I really see myself using this kind of shooting during my study exchange to Singapore and while traveling in general. I think it's actually really cool to 'document' a trip in this way. You have nice moving images to show friends and family and you can still enjoy your trip and the nature surrounding you without loosing much time fiddling with a camera (all the time gained here is lost in post of course... but it's a fair trade off)

I have two questions though. Andrew, did you ever upload any Nikon 1 4k raw footage? I'm curious to see how you put it to use and I don't think I've come across anything from you yet.

Second question is regarding the post processing workflow. Some people already mentioned a few bits and especially that post processing this footage is killing. I typically ignore these comments since I just want amazing footage :) (same reason I bought a 50D for Magic Lantern raw) Now that I'm processing it though, it is killing me. I already have a fair amount of experience with Premiere Pro, After Effects (including Twixtor) and Adobe Camera Raw but I was wondering if anybody could help me with the workflow.

I just imported a single burst from 40 raw frames (graded in ACR) into 16bit comp at 4620x3084 resolution and 24fps into After Effects. I applied Twixtor, changed the speed to 33.33% and the input framerate to 24fps. The result is a 5 second clip which I rendered out at half resolution (2310x1542) to a lossless AVI to see how Twixtor performed on my test burst. The problem is, it took me 25 minutes to render this out... I'm on a first generation i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz with 16GB RAM and a GeForce GTX 285 graphics card. During rendering the CPU is at 100% constantly and RAM is at about 12GB usage. I'm not using the fastest hardware, but what are you guys using? How many hours did it take you to render out your final video's? Any suggestion to how I should be working? I'll probably buy a new MacBook Pro in the near future but I think it shouldn't have to take 10 hours to render a 2 minute video (which is a rough calculation of what it would take using my current workflow). I also can't seem myself cutting together a video in Premiere when the preview speed is so low. Did any of you use proxies? If so, how? Never used/needed them before.

Any workflow tips will be most welcome!

Dear all! I realize I'm late to the party... but I bought a Nikon 1 v2 immediately after I came across the original article on EOSHD and seeing the amazing results in this thread. I read all these 18 pages with great excitement. The video's of Tom Beal are my favorites and I really see myself using this kind of shooting during my study exchange to Singapore and while traveling in general. I think it's actually really cool to 'document' a trip in this way. You have nice moving images to show friends and family and you can still enjoy your trip and the nature surrounding you without loosing much time fiddling with a camera (all the time gained here is lost in post of course... but it's a fair trade off)

I have two questions though. Andrew, did you ever upload any Nikon 1 4k raw footage? I'm curious to see how you put it to use and I don't think I've come across anything from you yet.

Second question is regarding the post processing workflow. Some people already mentioned a few bits and especially that post processing this footage is killing. I typically ignore these comments since I just want amazing footage :) (same reason I bought a 50D for Magic Lantern raw) Now that I'm processing it though, it is killing me. I already have a fair amount of experience with Premiere Pro, After Effects (including Twixtor) and Adobe Camera Raw but I was wondering if anybody could help me with the workflow.

I just imported a single burst from 40 raw frames (graded in ACR) into 16bit comp at 4620x3084 resolution and 24fps into After Effects. I applied Twixtor, changed the speed to 33.33% and the input framerate to 24fps. The result is a 5 second clip which I rendered out at half resolution (2310x1542) to a lossless AVI to see how Twixtor performed on my test burst. The problem is, it took me 25 minutes to render this out... I'm on a first generation i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz with 16GB RAM and a GeForce GTX 285 graphics card. During rendering the CPU is at 100% constantly and RAM is at about 12GB usage. I'm not using the fastest hardware, but what are you guys using? How many hours did it take you to render out your final video's? Any suggestion to how I should be working? I'll probably buy a new MacBook Pro in the near future but I think it shouldn't have to take 10 hours to render a 2 minute video (which is a rough calculation of what it would take using my current workflow). I also can't seem myself cutting together a video in Premiere when the preview speed is so low. Did any of you use proxies? If so, how? Never used/needed them before.

Any workflow tips will be most welcome!

I have an i7 hackintosh with similar specs and that time sounds about right, but I export to full 4k and convert to ProRes 422 instead.  Maybe ProRes might help, instead of going to AVI?  Twixtor takes me a while to export, especially the longer you re-time (I've only gone up to 4 seconds, but you can probably pull it off since you're working with 40 frames on the v2).

Two things I might recommend.  One, is to batch render.  Create 10-20 sequences of re-timed 4k clips, put them all in the render queue, export, then go to bed.  Another thing is to actually not use Twixtor.  My latest project I've yet to use Twixtor on my clips.  I do batch exports with AEs built in time remapping to re-time all my clips to 4 seconds.  I then look through all the clips and if any have problems, I use Twixtor on those clips.  It saves a lot of time, the clips export WAYYYY faster when using the built in time remapping.

Hope this was somewhat helpful.

I have an i7 hackintosh with similar specs and that time sounds about right, but I export to full 4k and convert to ProRes 422 instead.  Maybe ProRes might help, instead of going to AVI?  Twixtor takes me a while to export, especially the longer you re-time (I've only gone up to 4 seconds, but you can probably pull it off since you're working with 40 frames on the v2).

Two things I might recommend.  One, is to batch render.  Create 10-20 sequences of re-timed 4k clips, put them all in the render queue, export, then go to bed.  Another thing is to actually not use Twixtor.  My latest project I've yet to use Twixtor on my clips.  I do batch exports with AEs built in time remapping to re-time all my clips to 4 seconds.  I then look through all the clips and if any have problems, I use Twixtor on those clips.  It saves a lot of time, the clips export WAYYYY faster when using the built in time remapping.

Hope this was somewhat helpful.

Great suggestion! I was convinced that Twixtor would be the key to the Nikon 1 4k raw workflow (as everybody seemed be using it), so I completely overlooked the possibility of not using Twixtor (or applying it later on in the process of editing). Good to know you think the rendering time is about right. I don't think rendering out ProRes instead of uncompressed AVI would speed up the progress (compressed ProRes seems more CPU intensive to me vs uncompressed AVI). I think I'll make use of Adobe Dynamic Link with Premiere to cut rendering intermediate files anyway.

I just quickly experimented with creating a jpeg proxy in After Effects and it greatly increases preview speeds when editing (instead of using the full raw files), I also tried using the native AE time remapping with pixel motion and it seems usable and is indeed many times faster compared to Twixtor. I'll probably just use Twixtor for the final render or when I see problems like you suggested.

I've now turned on RAW+jpeg in the camera settings to have it create a ready to use proxy of half the file size of the raw NEF. This speeds up time in post at the expense of sd-card memory space. I think I'll experiment more with proxies for quickly editing together a sequence (with faster preview speeds) but turn off the proxy (and use the original RAW file with all the possibilities of adjusting in ACR) for final rendering.

Thanks for the helpful suggestion, I'm looking forward to further experimenting and making a cool little video in this way :)

P.S. Looking forward to another project with the V1 from thlbeal.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. I was wondering if the waterproof Nikon 1 AW1 is also capable of the raw 4K burst?

I don't think so... I thought I read the AW1 is a waterproofed Nikon 1 J camera. Only the V series (as far as I know) is capable of the 4K raw burst with enough frames to use it for video purposes.