Nikon V1 - shooting 4K 60fps raw for $200

Andrew Reid

Basics matter :-) Exposure is made of aperture, shutter speed and ISO. If we work in automatic what can we expect for?

V1 is basically, in burst mode, an automatic point and shoot camera. Buy the V2. V1 is a waste of money for burst shooting IMO.

I understand the basics of shooting, I just didn't know if it would lock in the settings through the burst or not.  95% of the time it works flawlessly, then the other 5% it goes crazy.  I'm happy my v1 at this point as I mostly capture scenery with it, which it is perfect for.  I didn't buy the v2 because I still shoot with a Canon for most video situations, and because I bought my v1 with little to no risk (I bought it used from B&H for $250 with a 30-day warranty).  To upgrade to a v2, I would have to pay $500 more.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi, I am considering a V1 however I have read that burst mode is available only to lenses native to the V1, would I not be able to do this with converted manual lenses? Also is it possible to adjust settings in burst or is it all automatic (as this would be a big turn off if it's only automatic)Thank you.

Hey folks....I'm about to jump head first onto the 5D3 raw bandwagon.

So I am going to have a Nikon v1 for sale (body only) to help towards funds...but the cool thing that I can offer is a DIY  EF mount that my genius friend Richard Gale knocked up for me. This mount cleverly tricks the Nikon into thinking that the 'approved' kit lens is attached, when in fact it is attached at the end of a short umbilical cable!

Sorry, I don't want to split the two...only Camera and DIY adapter for sale.

This is it...

http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/2274-nikon-v1-shooting-4k-60fps-raw-for-200/?p=32048

This setup allows the user to attach any EF lens to the mount and use as normal....although you may get funny looks with a cable and wrapped up kit lens dangling from the EF mount...but hey, that's part of the fun.

Modifications are to the EF adapter only...the camera itself is untouched and virtually new condition, it just lacks the kit lens.

I'll have original box, charger/battery etc that I can retrieve from under my bed if motivated :)

PM me with an offer if interested, I would prefer it go to a good home where experimental modifications are appreciated, and someone will give it the use that I should have done.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Very impressed by your videos, may I ask what lens you used to shoot the V1 footage? Cheers.

For all three videos, I just used the 10-30 kit lens.  It seemed to work fine, until it got even somewhat dark.  The thing crumbles at dusk.  So much noise is added and it won't focus at all.  It'll lock in the focus fast, and seem correct, but then later when you see the pictures on your computer they'll be incredibly out of focus.

VERY beautiful, but it is distracting with all the frequent scene changes ;)

Yeah it is kind of rough trying to make videos that are paced well with the v1.  Before I edit anything I have to twixtor every single burst out to around 3 seconds (this takes days).  I then take a couple hundred of those files and try to edit them together.  3 seconds seems to be the sweet spot, any longer and twixtor seems like it doesn't work as well.  It is pretty jolting sometimes.  

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely first rate. Badass with a cherry on top. 

You're too kind!  It's a pain in the ass to make a video this simple, but it's exciting, for me, shooting footage so crisp, even if it's only a second at a time.  It's a good travel companion camera, I can carry it around my neck all day and forget that it's there.  It's so simple to use, you really do just point and shoot.  A lot of people don't like that it's full auto in the burst mode, but I kind of like it, considering the type of videos I shoot with the v1.  It lets me run and gun in the simplest form, but kicks my ass in post.

How did you apply twixtor?  The motion looks too choppy to have gone through Twixtor?

I did it as I always do. Apply Twixtor to the clip, set the framerate correctly and precompose. Open up the precomposed clip, extend the timeline (comp settings) and apply time-remapping. In this case 2 sec, double the source. But, as I was shooting the clips at 30fps and not 60fps, I assume the choppy feeling can come from this. It's not as choppy viewed downloaded is it? Could be choppy if watched straight from Vimeo.

Never mind. And the answer is no. I have the J3 manual in my hands and the burst mode of the J3 is a shame next to the V2, so for 4K video the only way is to go with the V2.

But the doubt about the SD card continues. The price difference between the 80MB/s and the 95MB/s is huge. Will I have a better performance with the last one? Is the writing speed limited by the SD card or by the camera processor?

You're too kind!  It's a pain in the ass to make a video this simple, but it's exciting, for me, shooting footage so crisp, even if it's only a second at a time.  It's a good travel companion camera, I can carry it around my neck all day and forget that it's there.  It's so simple to use, you really do just point and shoot.  A lot of people don't like that it's full auto in the burst mode, but I kind of like it, considering the type of videos I shoot with the v1.  It lets me run and gun in the simplest form, but kicks my ass in post.

Ordered myself a V1 for an upcoming holiday partly due to your amazing videos admittedly :) Needed a more portable camera for stills too. May I ask what frame rate that you used? I have only used Twixor a handful of times with 50fps footage, would the 1 second 30 frame burst be sufficient or do you use the 60 frame 0.5 second? Cheers.