Nikon V1 - shooting 4K 60fps raw for $200

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

maby we can record video to the external storage? and break the limits?)

Which limits? The frames you can record in one burst? No external storage medium (linked via USB) would be fast enough, you need to write to internal buffer RAM until its full.

EOSHD has alot to answer for....

I just ordered a 5Diii, Nikon v1 and 2 x 64gb komputerbay cards for a trip to Norway, in 2 weeks :D

LOL. Yeah I bought a V1 as well. It's just a shame that the kit-lens is piece of crap.  Alot of Purple Fringe. The camera it self is good how ever and for a price of 215€ you cannot go wrong. If only they sold the good lenses at price level more fitting for their use .. Like the 32mm 1.2 should cost 300-500 euros.

In a sense what comes to EOSHD readers beeing on the edge of tech. I consider my self going backwards since I just bought a GH2 :)

LOL. Yeah I bought a V1 as well. It's just a shame that the kit-lens is piece of crap.  Alot of Purple Fringe. The camera it self is good how ever and for a price of 215€ you cannot go wrong. If only they sold the good lenses at price level more fitting for their use .. Like the 32mm 1.2 should cost 300-500 euros.

In a sense what comes to EOSHD readers beeing on the edge of tech. I consider my self going backwards since I just bought a GH2 :)

Interesting...I wonder if you should get that lens (10-30mm?) checked.  We have 2 V1s and a V2 all with that lens, plus the 30-110 and 18.5 and haven't noticed any significant purple fringing

According to slrgear, there is "some slight chromatic aberration of note when using this lens, but it's really only apparent in the corners" Overall, their conclusion was "The Nikon 10-30mm Æ’/3.5-5.6 VR really surprised us - for its small size and weight, it produces excellent photographs."

I concur kenuck, such claims are nothing more than mere FUD, nothing you can't handle plenty of half-full glasses...

http://www.photozone.de/nikon1/699-1nikon10303556v1?start=2

...against a pack of 8-bit combo with shitty codecs instead as alternative ;-) Bah! :P and yes, lower resolutions in disguise of 1080p world unable to other than addressed to crappy youtubes in PressPausePlay age, DR screaming video by everywhere. Worthy still photography use at the same time, then... it is to forget.

*Sigh*

This is the first real 4.6K motion and still photography system really pocketable. It does include the cheap glass, yeah. Call it cheap, as you want. Who cares? Who pays says thanks. And it won't bother artists to produce great work and with professional usage. It doesn't matter if only for 1.67 second @24fps from post for motion. As same as the whole RAW process BTW. I mean yet, V1 is a PITA with the automatic shutter and the fully V2 only for more 360 euros... Going more wrong than with an automatic shutter, it is impossible if you'll end with flickering in the end.

I concur kenuck, such claims are nothing more than mere FUD, nothing you can't handle plenty of half-full glasses...

http://www.photozone.de/nikon1/699-1nikon10303556v1?start=2

...against a pack of 8-bit combo with shitty codecs instead as alternative ;-) Bah! :P and yes, lower resolutions in disguise of 1080p world unable to other than addressed to crappy youtubes in PressPausePlay age, DR screaming video by everywhere. Worthy still photography use at the same time, then... it is to forget.

*Sigh*

This is the first real 4.6K motion and still photography system really pocketable. It does include the cheap glass, yeah. Call it cheap, as you want. Who cares? Who pays says thanks. And it won't bother artists to produce great work and with professional usage. It doesn't matter if only for 1.67 second @24fps from post for motion. As same as the whole RAW process BTW. I mean yet, V1 is a PITA with the automatic shutter and the fully V2 only for more 360 euros... Going more wrong than with an automatic shutter, it is impossible if you'll end with flickering in the end.

I'm not saying the V1 does not have it's merits as novelty art making machine. At a price of 200euros for the kit it's quite good deal even tho one needs to buy a Flash to make it usable camera for general purpose photography. I seldom buy a camera just for one function. Unless it's Brand is BlackMagic.

How ever I would and I will spend my time from now on playing with Canon camera based raw video. The 1 sec limit is a BIG one for me. And with Canon Raw I have plenty of good glass to choose from allready. If the NIkon recorded 10 seconds and had panasonic 12-35 2.8 like zoom glass I might reconsider playing more with it.

I'm not saying the V1 does not have it's merits as novelty art making machine. At a price of 200euros for the kit it's quite good deal even tho one needs to buy a Flash to make it usable camera for general purpose photography. I seldom buy a camera just for one function. Unless it's Brand is BlackMagic.

How ever I would and I will spend my time from now on playing with Canon camera based raw video. The 1 sec limit is a BIG one for me. And with Canon Raw I have plenty of good glass to choose from allready. If the NIkon recorded 10 seconds and had panasonic 12-35 2.8 like zoom glass I might reconsider playing more with it.

V1 is a waste of money for motion picture considering the automatic shutter, when we have the V2 just for more 360 euros. Hopefully, we'll be saying the same about V2 considering the limit of 40 frames when V3 will reach the streets with 4K video but not only. Longer burst mode going with RAW is very likely to happen and would even be much more interesting than 8-bit video whether be higher rezzed or not.

Hey guys, this is my first post on the forum but I've been keeping up with this topic for a couple weeks.  I decided to snag a used 1 v1 myself (B&H for $250) and I have to admit, I'm kind of in love with it.  Yeah it has many limitations and the workflow is sluggish, but after working with Canon DSLR video (not any of the new RAW stuff) for years, it's truly a breath of fresh air to work with video that looks this good!

I made a little test video of some shots over the past week and a half and I'm very pleased with them.  I used Twixtor to slow down the clips to 2-4 seconds.  It worked pretty well about 80% of the time.  You can notice some weird Twixtor motion problems here and there, but I don't really mind because they're not too in-your-face.

https://vimeo.com/67656132

Terrific work Emanuel! Pretty crazy colours and dynamic range too!

It is not mine, the author is identified on vimeo: Tom Beal

And he also says that has tried to post on these boards but once his account is newbie it is waiting for prior approval, so I am only the pigeon post over here :-)

The Kowa 2X is an anamorphic adapter that goes in front of your normal taking lens and stretches the image by 2X on the horizontal axis. It has to be focused separately from the 'taking' lens (i.e. the 10-30 in this instance). You also need the correct step ring adapters and clamps to get the two lenses attached and properly aligned.

There's a lot of info about this and other anamorphic lenses out there, starting with Andrew's Anamorphic Guide which I recommend. You'll also see some huge forum threads on this site and others discussing what's involved. It's not for everybody or every shoot!

The lens in particular is probably the Kowa 8Z/16H. You can sometimes find them on eBay. Another good option is the Kowa 16D which is a smaller, more lightweight lens.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone else had trouble with the exposure changing throughout the burst?  I know the camera has a hard time with artificial light, but sometimes even when I shoot outside it seems the levels go up and down at complete random throughout the burst.  It ruins that shot, because when I try to Twixtor it, the inconsistant frames make Twixtor go crazy.  Is it a feature on the camera that I can turn off?

Has anyone else had trouble with the exposure changing throughout the burst?  I know the camera has a hard time with artificial light, but sometimes even when I shoot outside it seems the levels go up and down at complete random throughout the burst.  It ruins that shot, because when I try to Twixtor it, the inconsistant frames make Twixtor go crazy.  Is it a feature on the camera that I can turn off?

Basics matter :-) Exposure is made of aperture, shutter speed and ISO. If we work in automatic what can we expect for?

V1 is basically, in burst mode, an automatic point and shoot camera. Buy the V2. V1 is a waste of money for burst shooting IMO.

Here is a previous post of mine which identifies the panorama:

http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/2274-nikon-v1-shooting-4k-60fps-raw-for-200/?p=36176

(...) V1 is a PITA with the automatic shutter and the fully V2 only for more 360 euros... Going more wrong than with an automatic shutter, it is impossible if you'll end with flickering in the end.