Nikon V1 - shooting 4K 60fps raw for $200

Andrew Reid

Ok thanks for the explanation. I can see the benefits for cropping and image stabilisation. But isn't it just an awful lot more work, for a moderate gain in quality? What I don't understand is why we are not already hitting peak quality with large sensor cameras such as the GH1 for example which is already downres-ing its footage in a ratio of 5:1 to output 1080. Shouldn't those pixels all be amazing already or is there some flaw in firmware processing?

Here is Nikon V1 4K still RAW burst mode, processed in Davinci Resolve Lite from converted TIFF's which shows up in Resolve Media Pool, as movie clips.

Shot on Nikon V1 1080p HD Movie mode @ 30fps

Is it worth the extra time?

Because I'm using Vimeo's basic account I had to downres Resolve output on both examples to 720p.

The second clip while displayed here as 720p is as shot at 1080p HD movie mode. (no extra zooming while processing).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Is it worth the extra time?

Based on the these two clips, I would say yes, depending on your individual goals and ambitions of course. Even in 720p, the first one looks like digital cinema (probably identical to the quality you get out of a Blackmagic Cinema Camera or A-cam dll), the second like amateur video.

Thanks for this!

Based on the these two clips, I would say yes, depending on your individual goals and ambitions of course. Even in 720p, the first one looks like digital cinema (probably identical to the quality you get out of a Blackmagic Cinema Camera or A-cam dll), the second like amateur video.

Thanks for this!

Yes, I have to agree with you.

I purchased a Nikon V1 with the intention to use the footage with Resolve. Initially I was disappointed to find that Resolve would not work with a sequence of DNG images as the file format differs from CinemaDNG.

I then found that using the included and free Nikon ViewNX2 I could batch convert each 30 frame burst to TIFF's and although I'm not aware it's not a documented feature of Resolve, I found that Resolve Lite Media Pool sees my folder of sequentially numbered TIFF's as a single movie clip, which can then be gradeed and rendered. I'm so tempted to pay Vimeo for a Plus account so I can show these clips at 1080p :-)

Fantastic! It's quite incredible that I'm able to use such a low priced camera to grade RAW footage using Resolve. I'm very impressed.

Problem now = do I sell my V1 and order the newly announced Blackmagic Pocket Cinema camera which is priced within range of prosumer/hobbiest? ie. me.

Problem now = do I sell my V1 and order the newly announced Blackmagic Pocket Cinema camera which is priced within range of prosumer/hobbiest?  ie. me.

Excuse me replying to my own post, but I'm sure I can live with the ProRes 4:2:2 output from this camera recorded to SD cards, but I will miss being able to play with the almost 4K footage with the abilty to crop!   But then again, I will get long clip times, and the 25fps frame rate that makes so much more sense for me in the UK.

Problem now = do I sell my V1 and order the newly announced Blackmagic Pocket Cinema camera which is priced within range of prosumer/hobbiest?  ie. me.

Excuse me replying to my own post, but I'm sure I can live with the ProRes 4:2:2 output from this camera recorded to SD cards, but I will miss being able to play with the almost 4K footage with the abilty to crop!   But then again, I will get long clip times, and the 25fps frame rate that makes so much more sense for me in the UK.

yes you should find a way to redeem yourself because you were suckered into purchasing a 1 sec gimmick that has nothing to do with industry 4K capture.   :P   

I then found that using the included and free Nikon ViewNX2 I could batch convert each 30 frame burst to TIFF's and although I believe it's not a documented feature of Resolve, I found that Resolve Media Pool sees my folder of sequentially numbered TIFF's as a single movie clip, that then grades fine and renders. I'm so tempted to pay Vimeo for a Plus account so I can show these clips at 1080p :-)

Fantastic! It's quite incredible that I'm able to use such a low priced camera to grade RAW footage using Resolve. I'm very impressed.

Problem now = do I sell my V1 and order the newly announced Blackmagic Pocket Cinema camera which is priced within range of prosumer/hobbiest? ie. me.

Are you able to export a video straight from Resolve?

Yes, on the deliver tab I used H.264 setting and 720p.  These uploaded and display on Vimeo without problems.

The above burst clips of Lucy would show better if they were 1080p.

Thanks Tim, beautiful child and beautiful work. I appreciate your efforts in sharing, very helpful.

Does anyone on this thread have any advice regarding the Twixtor program?

I'd love to get an idea on cost and the best place to download.

It would also be nice if anyone would post links to instructional videos that explain the plug-in.

Yes, on the deliver tab I used H.264 setting and 720p.  These uploaded and display on Vimeo without problems.

The above burst clips of Lucy would show better if they were 1080p.

I find the V1 to be a pretty good non-DSLR to carry around at all times, so given the $300 cost, I think it's well worth it. And the photos are great.

I bought myself a new V1 based on this this thread.  After a few days I decided to keep it, not for its 4K raw capability, which is too limiting to be practical in my mind, but for its burst shooting capability as a street camera.  At 10fps, I can keep shooting stills for 3.4 seconds, long enough to capture an interesting scene, and fast enough not to miss the critical moment.  I shot 1800 pictures in a couple of hours, and the battery still showed as full.  I was able to pick many keepers out of this session, improving my success rate by many folds.  Moreover, it's completely silent, and the AF is always spot on.  For this purpose, it's quite a unique camera, even better than the like of 1Dx or D1s.  I'm happy that I stumbled on this gem.

To quote the site that you linked to: "raw burst slows from 4.2fps at 17 shots". That should answer your question.

Thanks Catsin, I missed that.

There is one thing that still doesn't make sense to me yet. The Nikon 800, the Canon Mark III, and the 1DX... all of these cameras do not have the ability to capture at this level?

Am I right in thinking that the new BM Pocket does not capture raw as well? One NIB video suggested that it didn't. I haven't read anything about it yet.

To quote the site that you linked to: "raw burst slows from 4.2fps at 17 shots". That should answer your question.

Thanks Catsin, I missed that.

There is one thing that still doesn't make sense to me yet. The Nikon 800, the Canon Mark III, and the 1DX... all of these cameras do not have the ability to capture at this level?

Am I right in thinking that the new BM Pocket does not capture raw as well? One NIB video suggested that it didn't. I haven't read anything about it yet.

Nikon 1 is the only mirrorless camera that could shoot 30pfs (for 1 second) and 60fps (for 0.5 second). Nikon 800, Canon Mark III, and the 1DX are not mirrorless camera and they just do not have the shutter speed to operate at that fast frame rate as they are limited by the physical movement of the mirror.

I preordered a BM pocket video camera (body) from B&H (at my own risk without a post-release review.) But I will keep my Nikon 1 and Canon 5D Mark II. Len, variable ND filter, SD cards (fast and 64GB), workflow will cost extra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkTlVx5q7Jw

http://nofilmschool.com/2013/04/its-official-blackmagic-two-new-camera/#more-49116

http://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2013/04/09/the-pocket-rocket-blackmagic-downsizes-the-bmcc-and-does-a-4k-upsize-of-the-orginal/

https://vimeo.com/groups/blackmagic/videos/63597094

https://vimeo.com/groups/blackmagic/videos/63675961

http://nofilmschool.com/2013/04/12-things-think-about-blackmagic-cinema-camera/

it amazes how many people are suckered into buying a V1.  This is something where one should judge the book by its cover.  the title of thread should be ''Nikon V1 - shooting 4K 60fps raw for .5 secs for a misleading $200''

http://www.theusdvista.com/is-social-media-making-us-rude-1.2954540#.UWmLUCDD-P8

For what it's worth, article based on a clinical study released last week.

I'm processing a V1 movie for my daughter and the capabilities in post with this type of footage really are endless.

The stills are impressive, not to mention the camera is easy to operate and very light.

Stretching the footage and smoothness are my learning curve... but I purchased a more professional/sturdy tripod and this should help.