Nikon V1 - shooting 4K 60fps raw for $200

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Ordered, but I have never handled or shot with the V series cameras. Two questions.

The Vivtar 40.5 variable ND filter ($25) was recommended for keeping shutter speed at a more ideal level...

does this filter simply screw on front of the 10-30mm lens that typically comes with the V1 kit?

Also, would a SDXC 64GB class 10 card be adequate for burst shooting?

Thanks!

But it only shoots 8bit jpegs, not 12bit raw as the Nikon, and it has no interchangeable lenses.

But there is still the double size of sensor nearby 16mm film, rather than the videoish TV-like of a 1/2.3" (do not confound with 2/3") sensor size.

well the jvc px 10 can do 4k for 4seconds, nikon one for one second is almost useless

Yes, it looks like a cool camera, however they're different.  JVC is fixed lens (37-374mm equivalent for stills), 1/2.3" (smaller) sensor, JPG output (no RAW), 130 frames at 60fps or 100 at 30fps (2.1 and 3.3sec respectively). Does have 300fps 640x480 slow mo that can run for about 2hours which is very cool. Advantage of having a smaller sensor - less data to process.

http://camera.jvc.com/

Ordered, but I have never handled or shot with the V series cameras. Two questions.

The Vivtar 40.5 variable ND filter ($25) was recommended for keeping shutter speed at a more ideal level...

does this filter simply screw on front of the 10-30mm lens that typically comes with the V1 kit?

Yes.

Also, would a SDXC 64GB class 10 card be adequate for burst shooting?

Yes, too.

Thanks Cantsin!

With the V1, would someone please take a moment and explain their routine with regard to burst filming.

In other words, what are the typical steps/settings taken that tend to result in quality footage.

Also, can I assume that there are no external release or external intervalometer options? I worry how much the push of the shutter affects and noticed something about a Wifi adaptor.

BTW, this thread is a cutting-edge guide and I really appreciate all the input.

Ted

I stumbled onto this website from a link to the blog post about this, and I made an account because of this thread. I'm really excited about all of the information coming out about the V1 and V2 cameras. I'm really interested in seeing more V2 4k footage, it seems like a more capable camera for this specific technique.

I have only been able to find video samples in this thread, but I was wondering if anyone could point me to some other 4k samples that are elsewhere on the web.

Thanks to everyone who is experimenting with their cameras!

noticed something about a Wifi adaptor...

The WU-1b ($60) provides a WiFi connection for a V2 (but not the V1) to Android or iPad/iphone via a free app.  It does allow you to view what the camera sees on your remote device and to take single photos (no burst mode) and optionally to sloowly download them to your device. Works at up to 30 to 40ft range. Cannot change camera settings remotely.

I don't think the ML L3 works in "electronic shutter" mode as you will have to use to shoot in raw 30 fps for your second, however I've never had any trouble obtaining perfectly good shots pressing the shutter button  manually on my V1. At least not with the kit-lens that has some sort of VR (vibration reduction built in).

Thanks good people.

Hello aFrat! The videos posted through links on this thread are all I have noticed thus far and they impress me. Over the weekend, my wife and I (especially the kids) really enjoyed the "Zoe" short film, very creative! The filmmaker suggests a ND filter.

Earlier in this thread I noticed a workflow posted that went straight from Raw to rendering final video without any Tiff-type conversion. This method is what Tom Lowe used on Timescapes and I heard the workflow described as "non-destructive"... it uses the Adobe Bridge program (that accompanies the Adobe Production Premium software package) to jump various programs without ever having to render untill the video is complete and ready.

Forgive me if I am being noobalicious, but isn't it pointless? I can't display 4K on my TV and my laptop can't even cope with 1080. So, who can even watch 4K footage without a professional editing suite? Or is there some kind of quality compression effect when down-res-ing 4K footage to 1080?

It is pricey for an adapter - maybe I will get it, maybe not. I want to keep it simple on the lens side for this camera until I know I'm going to make full use of it in my filmmaking, then I'll invest. I've ordered the CX 50mm F1.8 because it is $180 and to lock focus so quickly using AF and then just get on with the burst of shots is very useful. The images it produces are incredible, take a look at this - http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/12/05/the-nikon-18-5-f1-8-cx-lens-review-for-the-1-series-by-craig-litten/

Hmm, The image quality is pretty good, I would say. Not market-leading and not deal-breaking. It certainly is not on a par with OM-D, GH3 or 5D. But for a very compact, high speed body it is adequate I would say.

Forgive me if I am being noobalicious, but isn't it pointless? I can't display 4K on my TV and my laptop can't even cope with 1080. So, who can even watch 4K footage without a professional editing suite? Or is there some kind of quality compression effect when down-res-ing 4K footage to 1080?

There are at least four advantages to shooting this way, even if your rendered film will be 1080p:

1. 12 Bits color depth (as opposed to 8bit color of standard DSLR video codecs) are a quantum leap in image quality, giving you 48 times more color information per pixel. This results in a much improved dynamic range, radically improved possibilities for grading, changing white balance in post and, if necessary, fixing exposure. In 8bit codecs, on the other hand, dynamic range is limited to 8 f-stops or, when a greater dynamic range gets squeezed into 8bits, color banding.
  2. zero compression artefacts/codec degrading in the footage.
  3. using the extra resolution to crop/zoom into the image in post. This also drastically improves the results of software stabilization.
  4. oversampling and scaling to 1080p gives an ultra-detailed image where every single pixel is sharp. (Sometimes even too sharp...)

What would you say the minimum software/hardware requirements are to process 4K video?  I have a Macbook Pro 15" Retina but so far have only processed 1080 video with Aperture/iMovie.  I've seen several workflows on this thread but most seem to involve fairly high-end software...just wondering if its possible to get a start with something less expensive.  I have a V1 and a V2.

Thanks

Ken

What would you say the minimum software/hardware requirements are to process 4K video?  I have a Macbook Pro 15" Retina but so far have only processed 1080 video with Aperture/iMovie.  I've seen several workflows on this thread but most seem to involve fairly high-end software...just wondering if its possible to get a start with something less expensive.  I have a V1 and a V2.

Thanks

Ken

It totally depends on your workflow. If you transform your images to ProRes HQ videos and edit in that, there will be no problem at all. I do that with a slower computer than your's.