Nikon V1 - shooting 4K 60fps raw for $200

Andrew Reid

I wanted to say a big thank you for this post I came across accidentally. If the camera works as described - I guess it does - it will help me out a lot even with this tiny second it records. Delivery expected tomorrow. Considered a few minutes if I'm mad to order that thing. We will see, but I'm optimistic!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Some people I notice are not quite getting the 1 second thing - yeah it is a very small amount of run-time but that is the beauty of it. It gives your work a theme. I already have sequences in mind that will be lucid flashes of a day, cut together - it is all in the cutting and editing. The way you sequence the clips will form your narrative, rather than letting each clip play out on its own. This is an interesting style of filmmaking.

Man, I've always defended you on dvxuser for some reason ; ) Well said :) Who doesn't understand it, they have no clue what's going in this business ;-) I've been helping to shoot a feature with a partner of mine. And I've been using the GH series' burst mode (very different of these small Nikons for sure) for 4K establishing shots.

Some people I notice are not quite getting the 1 second thing - yeah it is a very small amount of run-time but that is the beauty of it. It gives your work a theme. I already have sequences in mind that will be lucid flashes of a day, cut together - it is all in the cutting and editing. The way you sequence the clips will form your narrative, rather than letting each clip play out on its own. This is an interesting style of filmmaking.

It's definitely interesting, it's also a kind of a one trick pony, and quite limited, but yes, could produce interesting results.

The 1 second thing doesn't give your work a theme, it gives it a timing and pacing constraint, or a gimmick if you will, very different things.

Technical limitations can be a great way to fuel creative ideas and solutions, and I'm sure something very interesting could be done with this camera, but then again, once you define your film conceptually, you might as well shoot it with a better camera, if the final result is well thought out and well done, it's not the raw and 4k that will make a difference.

The Aranofsky example is not appropriate though, those clips were taken out of longer takes, editing a film with very quick cuts is not the same as editing a film shot with very short takes. The more coverage you have, the more you'll have to work with during editing so you can sculpt your final piece (some say films are made in the editing room), and in this case you might miss out on the best second in front of you, because you just couldn't know at the time, and the camera happened to be buffering when the magic really happened.

I made a Super-8 short years ago for a competition/festival where all the editing had to be done in camera, and we had to deliver an unprocessed Super-8 roll, it definitely makes you think a lot about what you're doing, but after you do think about it, if it's a story you think is really worth telling well, why limit yourself and stick to the gimmick?

It's great that a technical aspect or limitation fueled your creative juices, but in the end the creative side should win over the technical aspects, and drive the entire production, and I see no reason for you to go out and shoot a great idea with a lesser camera, just because that camera is the gimmick that sparked the idea in the first place.

If it's just an exercise it doesn't really matter, whatever will do, but if you're talking about relevant filmmaking and storytelling, and you have a BMCC lying around, why would you impose such restrictions on your art?

Hey everyone, looking forward to seeing some of the cool stuff that you all come up with using the V1.  I got mine yesterday and shot this little piece today.  Nothing fancy, but impressed with what it can do.  Definitely won't replace my HDSLR's but it is a fun tool to use and play with.  Enjoy!

http://vimeo.com/61774105

Hey everyone, looking forward to seeing some of the cool stuff that you all come up with using the V1.  I got mine yesterday and shot this little piece today.  Nothing fancy, but impressed with what it can do.  Definitely won't replace my HDSLR's but it is a fun tool to use and play with.  Enjoy!

super duper work dere fella love it.

the look is mighty fine : )

reminds me of the super 8 straight 8 competition 1 50 ft roll of super 8 film and you have to shoot a story with in camera edit.

results are processed and you view results with an audience.

a wonderful way to teach film technique i think.

nikon have got burnt fingers from these cameras looks like another crippled beast in a small package.

a wonderful way to teach film technique i think.

I agree with Tony, this method helps teach.

You get 1.25 seconds per shot (based on 24fps playback).  You only have 1 second to film each shot, so shoot carefully. haha.  Piecing together even the making of the latte required a good bit of thought and planning.  If I miss the final pouring of the milk, then the barista is going to have to make another latte just so I can get the shot again.   Shooting like this with the V1 like this can only improve your skill.  I like it because it makes me be more focused on what exactly I want to capture.  Instead of just pushing record, filming for a few minutes, and then pulling out the 2 second clip I need.  

Its almost like when some all digital photographers want to learn to shoot film.  It makes them slow down and focus more on composition instead of rapid firing.  You don't want to waste the film.  You want to make it count.  With the V1 shooting 4K Raw, you want to make that 1.25 second shot count.  

Its experimentation.  It should be fun.  It should be creative.  So let the creativity flow!

I made a Super-8 short years ago for a competition/festival where all the editing had to be done in camera, and we had to deliver an unprocessed Super-8 roll, it definitely makes you think a lot about what you're doing, but after you do think about it, if it's a story you think is really worth telling well, why limit yourself and stick to the gimmick?

I feel like this is still a requirement for film students in many places.

After downloading the original 2.5K .mov file and viewing, just gotta say WOW. I won't compare it to another 2.5K camera that isn't shipping, but it would be interesting to see the footage with a RAW workflow  Good job Zach.

Gah... I got a bad refurbished V1 in the mail today. The 10-30mm kit lens kept giving me the "Lens Error - Return to Nikon Service Agent..." on the screen. These electronic lenses are annoying.

Back to KEH it goes for an exchange...

Bah... crap. I ordered a refurbished one from them yesterday. Here's hoping I'm not screwed over, too. :/

HI guys!

Just wanted to ask(maybe it was brought up before) if someone with this camera, either Jon7athan of Javier to post some shots in RAW? dropboxed it or something so we can play with the stills.  Twixtor it, davinci it etc.   See how much we can push it and play with it.

Should be fun.

Thanks!

Hey everyone,  Several of you were interested in playing with the raw 4K burst shots so I thought I would take some with the V1 to share with you all.  Here are links to 4 different 30fps bursts.  Raw straight from the V1.  Each shot is around 10MB, so these are fairly large zip folders.  Enjoy!

http://tinyurl.com/ag89cgx

http://tinyurl.com/d3panys

http://tinyurl.com/ca6cduk

http://tinyurl.com/cz5sh2l

I feel like this is still a requirement for film students in many places.

Nowadays it's really a pain in the ass to develop super-8 film these days, and unfortunately most schools that used to use 16mm are now using Canon 7D cameras. Dark times for film...

I shared 4 sequences of raw stills from the V1 (120 images) for folks to try out their own methods/workflows.  I wanted to see how the footage would process through plugins like Twixtor/Motion/etc.  I chose to slow things down to 10% with Apple Motion.  I used the Optical Flow setting and was really impressed with the results.   I scaled things down to 1080p for sake of Vimeo and sharing.  After seeing what can be done with these little 1.25 second clips, I would say this is a seriously cool feature and definitely worth the sub-$300 people are spending on these little cams!

Feel free to download all 120 frames used to create this so you can experiment as well.

http://tinyurl.com/ag89cgx

http://tinyurl.com/d3panys

http://tinyurl.com/ca6cduk

http://tinyurl.com/cz5sh2l

https://vimeo.com/61863569

Looks stunning....

...but creatively speaking, the limitations of this camera suggest anyone intending to do serious work should proceed with caution.

For art films, and perhaps animation, this is fine.... but the labor of shooting a montage to the exact frame is a step backwards. Yes, some filmmakers with thrive under such limitations, just the way some have by editing entirely in camera, but for most practical purposes, including building a montage, 1 second of shooting time is not always enough. Shooting ratios for montages can be deceptive, and you're now talking about a labor intensive process to get results, that most users have never experienced in the digital film age.  For most purposes, a smoother workflow in the field, and in post, will provide better results. 

I would also warn anyone thinking this is an ideal music video camera in lip sync performance situations, since a couple posts seemed to imply you could sync upwards of 240 clips to music  that are 1 second and call it ideal...and that's assuming every take was perfect without additional coverage or backup takes.

The Chemex Coffee clip, towards the end shows how timing of the edits can also be a problem. Cuts create a herky jerky pace that doesn't flow with the composition, because they should be extended just a little bit longer. Anything less than steady is amplified by the quick pacing. So here we see good work stifled by the camera.

That said, more power to anyone who can overcome these problems and make something cool! Some people certainly will.

...but creatively speaking, the limitations of this camera suggest anyone intending to do serious work should proceed with caution.

I agree with you.  It is probably not going to be anyone's primary camera.  Certainly not my only camera.  But we should all be really excited about the potential of this inexpensive little camera.  It is very much a niche use but there really isn't anything else anywhere near this price range that can do what this camera does.  This is why I love this site.  It encourages squeezing the most potential out of video/photo tools!  

I love hearing everyone's thoughts!