Nikon V1 - shooting 4K 60fps raw for $200

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This is the perfect no budget music video tool, with 1 second shots you can be like the pros and their 1 second/shot editing shooting style :)

Just take a look at any big stars music video and count the shots and seconds.

There usually is a longer intro but when the song gets going its all 1 second cuts.

http://youtu.be/uelHwf8o7_U

This camera FORCES you to shoot more shots and get more setups for the final edit, and that is a WONDERFUL thing!

How long does it take before you can shoot another burst?  Any test on how long you can shoot bursts, wait and then shoot again in repeated fashion?

That would depend on how fast your SD card is at writing the data. The images will go to the buffer first, then save to the card. As an example, on my Panasonic TZ30 with a Sandisk SDXC 95mbps card it takes 4-5 seconds to write 60 jpeg images at 2560x1440

• Administrators

As usual, really awesome stuff Andrew!
Is there no way to set it to a lower resolution (and jpg?) in order to get more frames into that buffer?

Oddly no! Well - by definition raw is the full res of the sensor. You can even enable JPEG only or JPEG + RAW and the number of frames it stores are the same. I think the sensor always has to drive those 30 raw frames to the buffer for the JPEGs to exist, which is why simply enabling small JPEGs in the menu doesn't help jam more frames into the tiny buffer.

Having said that let's give the little V1 some credit - most high end DSLRs have even smaller buffers!

• Administrators

All I would need is about 5-10 seconds of footage at 30fps, and then I would be sold. Heck, I would even be sold if this was possible with full res jpegs... 

GH3 also has an electronic shutter mode. It does 2.5K JPEGs for 5 seconds but only at 20fps.

You can shoot in 4:3 for a tall vertical resolution in that mode - good for anamorphic. But 4 frames per second shy of usable!

Other cameras have fast 30fps burst modes but no raw and their buffers can barely hold 10 or 20 crappy resolution JPEGs before stopping!

I've been using this technique since the Casio EX-F1 bought 3K/60p (2 seconds on this baby!) but it would be nice to have raw and interchangable lenses.

I've used it to make stock footage of things like locked off waterfalls and slow moving rivers. You can almost always get good results with time stretching and make a nice, usable 5-8 second clip

Nikon always limit their frame bursting to 1 second though, on these consumer cams... 4 seconds and this would become a much more legitimate tool. Hopefully Casio will get back into the game, they tend to give away plenty of tech

• Administrators

The GH2 has 40 fps in 4K jpg, right? Anyone experimented with that? I'll give it a try tonight.

4MP rather than 4K (which is 8MP to 10MP depending on aspect ratio). It only does the 40 frame burst for 1 second and outputs some rather dodgy looking downscaled JPEGs.

The beauty of the V1 is that it outputs full res raw!

Oops.. need more coffee :)

60 fps raw is nice indeed. The shooting limit withholds me from going this way, but i'm curious what people will make of this.

Did some calculating, in theory the hardware could be suitable to capture 24/25 fps raw in 1080p, for much longer I think.

A Nikon NEF-file is roughly 1MB per megapixel, so lets say the buffer can hold 600MB of data (which it does, according to specs). In theory it could do 1080p raw (2MB) for 300 frames, being 12,5 seconds @ 24 fps... That would make a datarate of 48MB/s. This probably is too much to write directly to the even the fastest SD card in realtime, but still...

Nikon could make a BMCC killer out of this :)

Hi, very nice news, thanks a lot Andrew!!

Well I have a question. There are few adapters existing for the V1 if I'm right (like m42, nikon, Leica M...). Good to try some experiments.

I have some nice m4/3 lens (like Nokton 25mm 0.95, Noktor 12mm etc). However I never found any adapter "m4/3 to xxxx (like nikon, canon...). Do you know if this kind of adapters exist? I now there is one for Sony Nex, but is it the only one?

Thanks a lot

GH3 also has an electronic shutter mode. It does 2.5K JPEGs for 5 seconds but only at 20fps.

You can shoot in 4:3 for a tall vertical resolution in that mode - good for anamorphic. But 4 frames per second shy of usable!

Other cameras have fast 30fps burst modes but no raw and their buffers can barely hold 10 or 20 crappy resolution JPEGs before stopping!

Speaking of the GH3, I am very much looking forward to your review, is there going to be one?
Thanks!

had a bit of a play with my V1 today,...

- using a transcend 32gb class 10 card it writes pretty quickly,... the V1, in single still mode, displays the last image taken for about 1-2 seconds. in burst mode it does the same, but if you depress the shutter button half way, it's then ready to go again,... so it's pretty speedy. i would imagine on a faster card the time might be shorter.

- but,.. on the transcend 32gb class 10 card i get an error in that it doesnt always capture a full 30 frames,.. this normally happens when i try and shoot again really quickly. unfortunately i dont have faster cards to see if the card speed might be causing this. i did try it with slower cards and with those sometimes i got 4 frames sometimes 10. if i gave it a break it would return to 30,.. so i'm pretty certain it's the card speed.

- one thing that bugs me,... when the electronic shutter is on silent, there's no indication that its actually taking a picture. you can enable the shutter sound,... which sounds like one of them toy guns we played with in the 80's.

- i put a super takumar on via an m42 adapter and it doesnt work, it thinks there's no lens attached, obviously. 

- exposure is 100% full auto, as stated... which with raw isnt really a problem as far as exposure itself is concerned. i only have the 10mm f2.8 so that means pretty full Dof all the time. the 18mm f1.8 might be able to get you some shallower Dof.

i had a quick look on the local japanese auction sites and no, i cant find any m43 to nikon 1 adapters either.

i think it's great that this little thing can do this,.. but the full auto exposure is annoying me a bit. but as Andrew said,... with twixtor and fast cards and a bit more time spent infront of the computer, it's a nice little 4k machine and i'll definitely be playing more with it.

• Administrators

M43 to Nikon 1 won't go, so no Voigtlander fun but pretty much any other lens imaginable adapts to it.

Consider the Nikon FT1 adapter - expensive but it will allow you to use Nikon DSLR glass in burst mode on the V1, so still cheaper than having to get the V2 for more lens choices.