Vid-Atlantic anamorphic film showcase

Vid-Atlantic

Hi guys, we dont get on the forums too often these days, but just wanted to drop in and be part of the Andrew's community here. His site is full of useful and important info and he's always done a great job.

We were thinking to have a friendly little showcase/competition featuring short anamorphic films made by you. Maybe something monthly where a subject or theme is given and at the end we post them on our site/blog as well as others.

Of course, as of now, the only main stipulation is that the project be filmed using an anamorphic method (lens, filter, cinemorph, streak or flare filter, etc.)

One idea we also had was to maybe use only practical effects so that the films tell their story as effectively as possible through the use of traditional filming and no visual effects outside of color grading or stylizing (adding grain, light leaks, vignetting, etc). We always loved the old sci-fi series The Twilight Zone for how imaginary they could be using very basic filmmaking and on-cameras techniques to tell a bold story.

And lastly, I'd like to hear fellow filmmakers thoughts about all of this, but we've also been working with a few charitable organizations. We have a very big project that deals with Human Trafficking and another dealing with raising money/awareness for a very rare genetic disorder. Maybe occasionally the themes can be geared towards a subject matter that an organization or other group might be able to use. But like everything else you do, be very creative and outside-of-the-box about it. 

Any thoughts?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Good idea, I'd join that. I participate in the 'Vimeo Weekend Challenge' most of the times, they give a simple assignment or a theme and some requirements. An anamorphic version of that would be cool. I'd suggest to keep it fairly simple, so participation is easy and accessible for amateurs like me :) of course then it's up to the filmmaker how complicated you want to make your submission (just like the Vimeo Weekend Challenge).

Very cool! We'll get something going soon. We just see so much good work out there on Vimeo and YT shot anamorphically and we'd love to be a part of showing it off a little.

This should lead to some interesting story driven short films. Others that we've talked to have really liked the idea of doing this for a cause, so that will give us a way to change it up a little and make things interesting from time to time.

I don't know how on-board I am for no digital effects while grading and other very non-period digital effects are permitted, but, so be it.

I guess that idea was really more about showing off the anamorphic look and why it's so stand-apart-from-the-crowd. I doubt when its all finally set, that we're going to limit our CG and Visual Effects friends from joining in. You guys definitely turn things up a notch! ;)