Best Anamorphic option for Full Frame 5D Mark 3?

Germy1979

Lomos are designed for 35mm motion picture film which is half frame anyway and aren't worth the trouble until we have 4:3 sensors. But I reckon now the Alexa has gone 4:3 there will be a move back to that sensor ratio from everyone else.

Yeah, people forget that even if, by some miracle, a set of C, E or Primo series Panavision lenses magically dropped from heaven into their laps or were willed to them by a rich, eccentric uncle, or even if they stole them off the back of a truck from a movie crew working their town, these would be, for all practical purposes, useless on a full-frame camera  :wacko:

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

lomos do just about cover full frame from what i have seen.  and look unreal!  literally some of the nicest stuff.  not amazingly sharp but very beautiful.  

see this video.  final shot is stunning, and vignette adds a lot imo.  looks like lack of sensor coverage rather than lens barrel length originated.  to me this is some of the nicest looking dslr morph I have seen;

http://vimeo.com/60629595

Um, rich that isn't shot with an anamorphic lens.

The Foton is a spherical zoom that was coupled with a 2x anamorphic adaptor but he's not using it. If he was he would be cropping anyway as the video isn't the right aspect for 2:1 on a 16:9 sensor but he even says on the vimeo page that it is spherical.

Cine zoom lenses will cover the full stills35 sensor (as opposed to cine) as you zoom in because, well, you are zooming in on the image and the projected image plane gets bigger as you zoom in.

So maybe the advice for the thread starter is just buy old, lovely, cheap spherical glass and frame and crop to your desired size? ;)

I just got one of these, Rich! the delivery should take a while, though. :(

I think it doesn't cover the FF sensor. At least, with the anamorphic attachment, I'm SURE it doesn't, as clearly stated on the comments of this video:

https://vimeo.com/19643903

The sides have to be cropped out, as they're not covered.

Anyway, if you go APS-C, it does work perfectly. :D 

I'm really new on this forum and I'm going to buy and study the Andrew's Guide very soon, I'll do it with great pleasure. I wish to ask something if it is possible. I'm going to buy now my first kit, I study at school to become  cinematographer but I use theyr equpment... So it'is time for me to buy my personal tools. I will buy the canon 600d wich is a 1.6x crop sensor. I will buy it used because I belive that the most important thinks are the lenses. So I wish to buy some Samyang lenses, that have a very nice quality but most important, they works also on full frame. What I want to say is that I want a cheap used DSLR body, but a good lens that I will bring also on full frame one day (when I will have the right money). The question is, does exist some model of anamorphic lens that should I look for, that would be good for 1.6x crop sensor, and also one day for a new full frame DSLR? (I'm really sorry for my bad english). p.s. My intent is to have a nice aspect ratio -but- not the Steven Segal Letterbox 2000!? Or maybe yes? I'm not sure about this... XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d82j_Qfp_VA