Converting Lomo 37-140mm

Tito Ferradans

I just got a Lomo 37-140mm kit and it's in OCT-18 mount. The big issue is: I use a 5D3, and they're not compatible.

Since it has two versions, I'm thinking the lens has identical optical design, just differing the mount, OCT-18 or OCT-19. Any tips on who can I contact to do this kind of conversion?

(else, if I can get it converted to, let's say, EF mount, makes things easier, since I won't be needing an adapter).

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Did you also get the Anamorphic Squarefont (Foton-A)?

The Foton zoom itself is quiet adaptable. It was originally sold (in Russia) with a selection of mounts (the basic Foton came boxed with a number of alternate mounts).

It's a simple collar style design, so you should be able to detach the OCT-18 mount very easily.

You're correct about the lens design - all Fotons are identical, it's simply the rear mount that's different.

I've seen custom mounts for the Foton to Micro 4/3 and PL - amongst others.

One thing you might notice on your 5D3 is that the zoom will 'porthole' of vignette. It wasn't designed for a FF sensor (it was designed for a 35mm film gauge).

Any lens tech should be able to help you out - it depends where you're based.

You could try http://www.spbsale.com/ (Viktor does a lot of mounting work) or https://sites.google.com/site/olexserviceskonvas/ - maybe email Olex and ask his advice.

In the USA, there's Berni & http://www.super16inc.com/ - he might help too. In the UK try TLS - http://www.lensrepair.co.uk/

Thanks a lot for the info, EpicFanBoy!

Yes, it does have the anamorphic squarefront, as well as two diopters and some other extras. Good to know it should be easy to mod.

I'll see how this porthole thing works. I think it'll cover the whole sensor past some focal ranges, right? (like an EF-S mounted on full-frame). Otherwise, I'll just stick it into a T2i!

I've emailed Viktor and Olex, as the lens is in Lithuania and I live in Brazil. It's easier from a package coming from Russia to arrive without customs taxes than one from US or UK. :P

Glad the links helped... you're right to avoid the US/UK - customs hell!! LOL

Out of interest, where did you pick it up from? It's rare to see the Lomo/Foton-A and diopter set nowadays :)

I'm lucky, I have one full set (diopters etc) and a back up Zoom/Foton-A, but I'm always on the lookout for bargains!

On the portholing, it's hard to say... I know a Prime 70mm ana will work on FF/5D (check out Hunter's video from years back - he was one of the first to put a Lomo on a 5D), but that probably worked as it's a prime lens (fixed focal length).

I 'suspect' (might be wrong here!) that, as a zoom, the Foton will have a fixed image projection to the sensor/film (etc) that won't change in size as you zoom... so you may get a permanent porthole effect. But, then again, you may not!

You'll be safe with the T2i as that's APS-C :)

Hahaha! It just popped on ebay this morning (morning in Brazil), it wasn't exactly a bargain, but it was way cheaper than I had ever seen. Paid US$2800 for the kit. I've seen the diopters alone sell for more than half of that!, so, even if I don't like the results, I can sell for some profit. :P

I already own another squarefront, but decided to sell it since it's impossible to adapt it into the 5D3. The only 2x stretch double-focus I can stand is Kowa's, since the results are gorgeous! I kept looking for the 37-140 as it has a great range, as well as singe focus. 2x stretch is super-awesome. (I wish I could find one of those Isco Centavisions with single focus. hahahaha)

About the porthole, I had a Tokina 11-16. Worked perfectly on the t2i. On the 5D3, 11mm couldn't cover the sensor, but from 14mm on, it did a great job. :D

Yes - good find and a great price :)

It's in it's original box too.

One thing  you might want the seller to put a cover (maybe some foam/cloth) over the Foton-a ana lens. It normally has a card (with inner felt) cap (I'd presume your other Squarefront had a similar 'handmade' cover?). Extra padding/protection would be good.

I say this as a DP friend of mine recently received an ultra rare anamorphic zoom, that was damaged in the post... and that was sent in a modern Peli case - not an old style case.

The Foton is a really nice lens, it's not that fast - but with the sensors of all modern cameras  you really don't miss a few stops. And, as you have the diopters, you'll still get the modern crazy blur/bokeh for background and get nice portrait/headshots & close ups.

I bet you'll keep the lens, even if it's T2i only ;)

Keep updating when you get it.

Yeah, very important detail, the cap! I'll ask the seller to wrap something in front of it, if the original has been lost. I got mine made here, will make one for this as well. hahahaha.

Ouch! Sad to hear this story! It's always painful to know about gear getting damaged. :(

Olex replied to my mail very quickly! He also told me that he has tested the lens with the 2x EF extender, and it gives great results, although some light is lost. What I thought about is: "this is a great solution for the porthole possibility!". hahahaha. The extender literally delivers a bigger image than the sensor, hence the increase in focal range! (I can sure lose some light on the 5D, no problem!)

Anyways, if nothing of this works, I'll sure keep it on the T2i. hahaha

Glad Olex came back to you :)

On the lens that was damaged, it's an ultra rare anamorphic zoom (only a handful were made and was a lot of $$), so he's not very happy about the damage, as it means finding a replacement part for an already rare lens.

Sounds like you'll be good to go with the EF extender on the 5D or standard in the T2i.

I prefer zooms to primes (guess I'm lazy) - LOL. 

Good thing about Olex (if the lens goes through him), will be the fix/collimation etc - he's the expert on all things Lomo!

Ouch. Good luck to him!

I've always prefered primes, but it gets tiring sometime, swapping lenses and anamorphics from shot to shot. I hope the Lomo makes me a little lazy too. hahahahaha.

Do you have an idea of how long the lens stays with him? (I've asked him that today, but I don't know when he'll answer, and you're frequently online, so... ahahahaha)

LOL I'm ill at the moment... a flu bug :( sleeping for a few hours then awake for 3 or 4... it's a bit rubbish! The GF has had it for a week and I've been ill for a few days... so probably more days of pain to come. 

It's easier to surf as I can't even sum up the attention span to watch a movie... so Forums, Ebay and Youtube it is (!).

I know Olex is pretty busy being the 'go to guy' for Lomos, so I wouldn't want to second guess! 

On the damaged lens, I don't envy my friend, it's a very hard to find Ana, so rare he's keeping it - hopefully I can test it next time I work with him.

Wow, great link! Thanks! (this thing flares so beautifully!). I actually had already seen the video a few months ago (and their close up tests too), but didn't remember at all. By that time, I never thought of buying such an expensive lens. hahaha

It's decided then: if I'm shooting 2.4:1, 5D, if 3.56:1, T2i. :P

I'm curious about this precious lens of your friend! What's the model? hahahaha

Hope you get better soon!

(it's impressive how ebay is really addictive)