DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THESE ISCO LENSES?

airtai

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The first of these two Isco lenses (on ebay) is quite massive and heavy.  Though it has very nice optics it is pretty impractical to use for most shooting scenarios for two reasons:

1) The size and weight requires serious lens support in the form of rods and brackets etc. There's no simple clamping solution for this one.  It's not a walking-around kind of anamorphic.  Good for telephoto shots on sticks.   Good for ballast on long ocean voyages.  Good for projecting glorious film prints (I'm assuming. I'm not a projectionist by a long stretch).

2) The minimum focusing distance is a whopping 17 feet. This lens was designed to throw a clear image from a projector onto a huge cinema screen at the end of a big room.  It is not designed to focus close!  The front element is very large as well, so most diopters won't fit.

The second Isco variety (like those that Vid Atlantic sells) are much lighter and focus as close as 5 feet (or even less at high F-stops on some taking lenses).  They are very sharp and impart very little contrast.  RIvals and sometimes beats a Kowa Bell and Howell (or at least my Kowa B&H)   

This is my understanding of the differences.  I'm no expert but I've had several of these lenses and have used both types for shooting.

• Administrators

Some questions mate... I take it the Schneider needs the prime lens to also be focussed to the same mark? How sharp is it at fast apertures? What aperture would you consider it L series standard sharpness? Minimum focus distance of 3m / 10ft judging by the pics - am I right - any thread for diopters?

The clamp - is it height adjustable and would it be big enough to fit around a 77mm barrel? I'm looking for a bracket for my Iscorama 54 so that it doesn't shift around with a follow focus. Currently I have a basic support cradle for it on rails, but not a full bracket.

Yes you need to focus your prime lens and the anamorphic Andrew

This is the sharpest Anamorphic Ive ever used - is is in a differnt league to any lens out there.

It is the pinnacle of current anamorphic lens technology - they are made by Schneider in Germany this is the current model

they are used in Multiplexes all over the world to project Hollywood Blockbusters .

And as the Multiplexes move over to digital projectors this will be a dying breed Im not sure they will ever need to get any better than this and make anything this good.

It is tak sharp even with your taking lens fully open.

Dont forget these are designed to be used with an F2 Schneider spherical projection lens behind them - no apperture on the spherical backing lenses they are made fully open F2 for projection.

Minimum focus is about 6 feet

The Tecnoir Anamorphic  lens holder for 15mm rods is designed to fit a 72mm diameter lens

it is height adjustable so you can move the whole platforn up and down so you can get dead centre allighment with your taking lens behind it.

We have spent a year working on this and testing it 'in Battle' on our BlackMagic , Canon 5DmkII , Panasonic Gh2, Canon 550d etc

Yes I can make you one of these with a 77mm support ring to hold your Iscorama 54

Got my Schneider for $30. Sharp is an understatement. :-) A little heavy, but not unmanageable.

On a Gh2, it will vignette slightly on a Nikon 35 2.8, if focused at long distance.
No noticeable vignette using the Konica 40mm. Some noticeable "warping" at the edge of the frame. Nowhere nearly as bad as isco ultrastar for this though.
Warping seems to disappear with Minolta 45mm.

Did I mention beautiful stretched bokeh & gorgeous flares?