Internal focussing cheap legacy lens ?

Justin Bacle

Does anyone know a lens that fits the following requirements :

• Internal focusing (lens length doesn't change when zooming in/out)
  • usable focal length of 40-80 approximately (What interest me is that I can start at 40~42mm -minimum focal length for my setup- and have a bit of zoom range)
  • can be mounted on canon EOS mount (Nikon, Pentax, M42 or canon EOS mount as examples)
  • cheap/affordable (sub $200)

The goal is to have it on my anamorphic rig so that I can have the convenience of a zoom whilst being able to capture great anamorphic footage. Should be an interesting experiment for an cheap anamorphic zoom solution :D

The only zooms I have all have at least one problem :s 

Most of the zooms I have are longer at shorter focal lengths but I'd like the front element to stay put against the anamorphic adapter

Any ideas ? (I may be missing a simpler solution, but I am curious about this solution :) )

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Whats the anamorphic?

Usually zooms and modern lenses dont fit as well as old pancake primes with 2x projection anamorphics.

In my experience (im still a little noob ) focus throw like optex 1.33x works best in the other way. Perfect with panny 12-35mm and no so much with old primes.

10 hours ago, Grimor said:

Whats the anamorphic?

Usually zooms and modern lenses dont fit as well as old pancake primes with 2x projection anamorphics.

In my experience (im still a little noob ) focus throw like optex 1.33x works best in the other way. Perfect with panny 12-35mm and no so much with old primes.

I use mainly an Isco Ultrastar but I also have a Singer 16D and about to get an elmoscope ;)

13 hours ago, artiswar said:

Nikon 35-70mm f3.5 Macro works great for me. It zooms internally, so it sitting with the scope on rails work great. I'd have to check Focus, as I use this with a single focus solution.  Shot this with this set up on a RED Dragon. 

Yay, already saw this teaser, and it is great :)

Are you able to use the full zoom range of the 35-70 ? I will vignette with my current setup at the wide end of a 35-70. which only lets me a useable range of 45-70... I'm not sure that is going to be worth it :s

17 hours ago, tweak said:

Nice work man! Is the lens Parfocal?

It is! Even shooting spherical. 

5 hours ago, Justin Bacle said:

Yay, already saw this teaser, and it is great :)

Are you able to use the full zoom range of the 35-70 ? I will vignette with my current setup at the wide end of a 35-70. which only lets me a useable range of 45-70... I'm not sure that is going to be worth it :s

In the zoom test I used the full range. On the teaser, 35 pretty much covered but was too distorted and wide for most of the content. The big stationary wides were 35-40.