Canon 5DIII HDMI clean output April 1st, will Canon drop a bomb on us?

JHines

I've heard rumors and speculation of a crop mode, much like that of the 1DC's S35 mode and the 3x crop mode of the T3i, that is said to show up when Canon releases their anticipated firmware update for the 5DIII. Canon has clearly demonstrated the ability to sample smaller parts of a sensor to obtain highly detailed/sharp video with little to no aliasing, so I really hope they step it up and offer a crop mode. 

The dynamic range and 8 bit codec will still be less than desired but at least we'd have the option to record highly detailed video and make use of the longer focal lengths/deeper dof when needed. 

What's everyone think? Are they just releasing this firmware to mask the fact that Magic Lantern was about to find out the camera was outputting less than the full resolution as advertised? Maybe they will release a Canon log picture profile specifically for the 5DIII? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
It'll be interesting. Most people had high hopes for Canon right up until about November 3, 2011.. Lol. Now we're all just cynical when we hear the name. In terms of competition, damn near everything they do has a corresponding Nikon release in the same category. Most tests regarding clean out on the Nikons however show almost no difference between the internal codec and the clean out.. - So i almost don't wanna hold my breath. They seem to be just letting us get by with the bare minimum until it has 5 digits in the price tag.

On a positive note, I hope you're right:)

On a realistic note, I'm hearing "alright fine you whiney asses, here, clean out. Sheesh."

• Administrators

It is odd that we've had to wait until nearly NAB 2013 to get it.

So could be big.

If not, I'll consider it somewhat a slap in the face as clean 1080p HDMI is something that should have been there in version 1.0 and they said "the hardware couldn't do it" even though the cheaper 7D could.

• Administrators

Well the 70D is meant to be previewed at the end of this month & the 7Dmk2 soon after, so they might want to protect the 5D3.

So it all depends what they do with those. My guess would be the 4:2:0 wrapped as 4:2:2 & cropped mode (if we are lucky).

Canon know they need to do something to shore up this end of the market and DSLR video. It has been a bit of a disaster. Their overall profits have plunged 40% and that is mainly due to the low end of the market.

Since they usually drop down through the ranks in a regular pattern, perhaps there will be an even less expensive full frame than the 6D soon.

They need their new 550D: budget but powerful. A full frame Rebel would literally clean up! Though us video guys would be annoyed with aliasing. I'm very used to using the Mosaic filter now though, it's not too much hassle and works great, but of course we shouldn't really need it.

So I'm hoping for a full frame budget model for stills :) but for video I think they're still protecting their Cinema line and top end like crazy... :/ The C500 is a perfect example. It's the top and it's actually still pretty poorly specd compared to other cinema cameras, demanding an external recorder for raw and 4:4:4 and only getting up to 60fps. I would never pick it over a Red One MX, for example, which is cheaper to buy, hire and gives you stunningly beautiful RAW 4K codec right off the SSD, that you develop in your Premiere timeline natively!

Hardware crippling is their obsession. Of course, if they didn't play so safe, they could absolutely wipe the floor, boost profits and push things forward. Sad really...

And it's a real shame because I still enjoy the feel of their images. Dunno if it's codec implementation  colour science or what, but I usually enjoy it most of all DSLRs still when I'm "blind tested" with actual footage rather than pixel peeping, as it were, despite the softness and the mandatory 8-bit plastic skin tones. If they'd just stop crippling cameras I would have already bought one or two more of their products... I would have a 6D already if it weren't for the severe aliasing, and the fact that they only made it so bad to try and make me buy the 5D MKiii actually makes me not want to buy that model because it's such a manipulative tactic.

Canon know they need to do something to shore up this end of the market and DSLR video. It has been a bit of a disaster. Their overall profits have plunged 40% and that is mainly due to the low end of the market.

You'd half hope that because the BMCC/Digital Bolex have taken so long to actually materialise, coupled with the fact that they won't be able to make enough units before the end of the year, that Canon would be rubbing their hands & finally be willing to throw off their self-impossed shackles.

I don't think anyone is expecting leaps & bounds, but something to at least challenge the resolution of the GH series.

The only info about the 7D2 is the photo specs & a teasing "lots of video features"!

Could this mean crop mode, 1080/60fps? Who knows.

Also, not sure if anyone noticed this, but in the screen grab of upcoming cameras (apart from the EOS Me & 3D), its suggested that a GH5 is in the works for December.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/02/2013-predictions-for-canon-eos-products/

Now is/could this be a 5D3 annihilator or are Panasonic going after the 1DX/C? This could be v.interesting!

Clean 422 with an external recorder will certainly help with reducing macroblocking and can provide better quality for post-sharpening. Without some kind of improvement in actual sampling resolution, my FS700+Speed Booster makes the 5D3 only appealing for close work and/or stealth shooting (in which case the external recorder kind of hurts stealth recording)

If it's not possible to keep the camera display active when using an external recorder (such as the Nanoflash), then stealth recording won't be possible: would have to use an external display as well.