Tips from Black Magic users

jgharding

The other day I had a chance to use a Red Epic with Arri Master Primes *sigh*. As awesome as it all was I don't have that kind of budget on personal projects, but the raw footage is lovely and addictive.

Naturally, I was looking and Black Magic Camera hire as it's not too much for a music promo (£90 a day or so compared to nearly £700 for the Epic).

Now what I'm wondering is how many of you out there have used the camera enough to list its quirks that I might have to look out for.

The Epic took me all of 20 minutes to assemble and work out how to use, it's dead simple and just works, but relying on that kind of robust simplicity from the BMD could see me losing time on the day I think, from what I've read so far.

Any general tips out there?

Many thanks...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

The Blackmagic does have a simplicity to it. Using it versus the Ikonoskop last month was a doddle in comparison. You dive into the menus far less than on a DSLR and you don't need to change ISO or shutter angle for 90% of shots. You just point the lens at stuff and focus it.

Main issues with the ergonomics are - it is quite heavy and the screen visibility isn't great. The weight distribution is on a very narrow plain and the camera is quite wide compared to a DSLR. There's no physical controls - but again you don't really need any. The Epic controls are mostly on a touch screen as well.

Here's my review

http://www.eoshd.com/content/9186/blackmagic-cinema-camera-review

Pros

• Cinematic overall output
  • Under the price of a ready to shoot Scarlet it beats everything for resolution & dynamic range including Canon C300
  • Film like noise grain
  • Much more latitude in the highlights than a DSLR
  • Black detail can be pulled up more than on the FS100 and DSLRs
  • Very high build quality with no plastic used at all (rubber and metal)
  • DaVinci Resolve is superb editing package and colourist’s dream
  • Responsive in-camera playback of raw
  • Responsive touch-screen and user interface
  • Thunderbolt and HD-SDI, no wobbly HDMI. Robust SSD port and card door
  • Large screen negates need to use external monitor or EVF in many situations
  • Straight forward and minimalist approach to design of both software and hardware
  • Superb battery life with external battery solution, internal battery useful to have as a back-up
  • Affordable media
  • Affordable raw editing with correct GPU on a PC
  • The camera has ‘soul’ unlike many mass produced products

Cons

• Potentially large extra investment in lenses, hardware, etc. for some shooters
  • No built in ND filter
  • No Super 35mm sensor size
  • No HDMI port for lower end external monitor / EVF options
  • No global shutter mode, rolling shutter not the best
  • Cinema DNG raw not as space efficient as GoPro CineForm compressed raw
  • No 2.5K recording option other than raw (2400 x 1350 80Mbit Intra-frame H.264 would be nice option for those who only do minimal grading)
  • Screen not articulated (difficult to see from low angle when camera is above eye-level)
  • Narrow viewing angle of LCD panel compared to DSLRs (polarises quite easily)
  • Poor screen visibility in strong sun light
  • Electronic aperture control on EF lenses is fiddly – should be two buttons or a jog dial
  • Final packaging issues – debris inside the lens mount on some cameras shipped so far
  • Fluff and debris tends to cling to rubber on rear of camera and cannot easily be wiped clean

Consider the FS100 too.

I enjoy the lighter body and it isn't as tall. The screen is articulated and the sensor is larger. It is miles better in low light and the codec is actually very good (for AVCHD). You've got slow-mo with 1080/60p and it doesn't cost much more than a Blackmagic now. Rental price I've no idea about but it shouldn't be more than the BMCC. As it is E-mount you can fit just about any lens to it. Ergonomics & menus are OK it is just that the button layout is awful. All the dials and buttons are tiny and slightly recessed into the body, so I don't recommend it for when you need to adjust stuff very quickly on the fly.

Yeah I shot with the FS700 quite a bit, hated the button layout with a passion. Loved the slow motion though. The codec got noisy in the blue channel at high ISO, and I didn't find the noise was removed so easily... things got muddy in post... is the FS100 similar?

I liked how on the Epic you could set all the touch screen stuff, but after that you only needed to touch the lens and the little wheel controls and buttons, and it was all on one screen. That was great!

I found this video of the menus, which is useful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFNMulvob34

So can you adjust white balance, ISO etc by using the button below the setting on screen, then use the iris and focus button for up and down? Or is it all touch?