Mac replacement with PC, help?

stevetownsend

I know this subject always ignites some so apologies in advance.  But I am genuinely thinking about moving from Mac back to PC after 15 years.  I have been able run my photographic business including editing video just using a laptop.  I have thought about getting a desktop machine for a little 4k editing that I do now, but that would seriously hinder my mobile work and lifestyle.  The new MacBook Pro appears to offer little improvement over the 2013 model I am using at the moment.  

I keep looking at the new Dell XPS laptop which has a better processor, better graphic card, a better screen, twice as much ram etc for less money.  I understand that some software is optimised for the Mac but I don't think I use any of it, I am using the Adobe Cloud suite.  I hesitated and wondered best where to ask this question but figured this forum might be most appropriate.  I have certainly valued the reliability of the numerous Macs I have had over the years which have never let me down.

If I am cloud cuckoo land please let me know.  I am not a 'techie' I just want the laptop to work!!

Thanks in advance.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I am looking at the various gaming laptops at the moment. Asus and MSI have a huge range, there are a few 14" ones from various manufacturers (and Razer Blade Pro).

I am looking for i7-7700, GTX1060, 16GB RAM and even considering a 17" one if it isn't in the huge side, and they seem to go for around 2000euros (a bit more here, but it isn't the standard), so you save some money from the same spec-ed Apple one (you almost can buy a second one!).

7 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I am looking at the various gaming laptops at the moment. Asus and MSI have a huge range, there are a few 14" ones from various manufacturers (and Razer Blade Pro).

I am looking for i7-7700, GTX1060, 16GB RAM and even considering a 17" one if it isn't in the huge side, and they seem to go for around 2000euros (a bit more here, but it isn't the standard), so you save some money from the same spec-ed Apple one (you almost can buy a second one!).

I would say those are pretty much the specs you need to edit without proxies... MSI has probably the largest selection and best bang for the buck. The Dell XPS is nice, but not as poweful/gaming oriented as the MSIs.

One thing to take into account that many gaming laptops overlook is the need for several HDD/SDD, which is not a must for gaming but is essential for editing IMHO. If you can customize the configuration of the model, it is very recommendable to have 3 separate drives (OS and Adobe CC suite in one, footage and media on another and temp files/render/exports on the third one); if not, at least 2 drives. Having the OS and installed programs on the same drive as your source footage is not a good idea...

@pablogrollan most of those middle to top tier laptops (and usually NOT the ultra thin ones) have a 256GB SSD and a 1TB HDD, plus all the newest (and fastest) USB variations and/or more, I do not see a problem here.

Then, if someone wants the absolute best from an editing machine, then going for a laptop is most certainly he is not going to get it, common sense!