G85/Gh5 custom help

Tsarbomba

So I sold all my canon stuff last few months and PO a Gh5 and just got g85 a few days ago. On the GH4 the start/stop record button was on the rear of the camera. The G85 and GH5 have it on top and using it right now on my G85 is driving me nuts. Its about flush with the body and Im constanly looking to see where it is. Im looking for two things. Any way to to use the AF/AE button as a start/stop in video mode? Also, anyway to use the AF/AE button as a BBF in manual mode? I cant find any info on this.

Thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
51 minutes ago, Tsarbomba said:

So I sold all my canon stuff last few months and PO a Gh5 and just got g85 a few days ago. On the GH4 the start/stop record button was on the rear of the camera. The G85 and GH5 have it on top and using it right now on my G85 is driving me nuts. Its about flush with the body and Im constanly looking to see where it is. Im looking for two things. Any way to to use the AF/AE button as a start/stop in video mode? Also, anyway to use the AF/AE button as a BBF in manual mode? I cant find any info on this.

Thanks

Just like to know, why don't you use the regular shutter release button? Are you shooting stills and video? It's a problem with many manufacturers that lots of the buttons are too flush with the body. From what I've read, Olympus is one of the few that's gotten most of that right, with chunkier dials and buttons. I hate trying to push the ISO and WB buttons on my G85, they're so shallow. How much trouble would it have been to have them raised a bit more? I always set my camera to manual and press the AF/AE lock button to BBF, it works pretty well most of the time. You've got to go into the menus and select the function though. You go into the menu, select the Custom tab, then AF/AE Lock and choose your settings. As you probably already know, there is something you can put on top of the record button to make it easier to engage. I've never done it, but I met someone here who had put these adhesive thingamabobs on every button of his X-T1 to make them easier to press. There is no way to use the AF/AE button to start and stop recording, either in video mode or in stills mode. Why would you want to do that anyhow?

41 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I always set my camera to manual and press the AF/AE lock button to BBF, it works pretty well most of the time. You've got to go into the menus and select the function though. You go into the menu, select the Custom tab, then AF/AE Lock and choose your settings.

Ive looked in the menu to do this. All look again. At least I know its possible. Anyone know if I can change it to Start/Stop for video?

10 minutes ago, Tsarbomba said:

Using my right thumb is easier and more stable than searching and using my pointer finger. 

But If It doesn't allow me to change that, then Ill have to deal with it

There are some adhesive things you can use that add a bit of depth - sorry, I don't know what they're called or who sells them, but another forum member can probably suggest something.

On 3.3.2017 at 2:14 PM, Tsarbomba said:

Any way to to use the AF/AE button as a start/stop in video mode? Also, anyway to use the AF/AE button as a BBF in manual mode? I cant find any info on this.

It would be nice if Panasonic would give more freedom to assign favorite functions to FN buttons. Why not make all the menu items available for FN buttons? Every menu item should have an option to save to FN-button when browsing camera menus. It would be easier to program FN buttons.

55 minutes ago, andy lee said:

I always just use the shutter release button on the front , never the small red video button

Hi Andy. I think the OP has just gotten used to the position of the button placement on the GH4, and when i started to think about it, I can see his reasoning. He's used to pressing record with his thumb, that's all there is to it. He'll just have to retrain his muscle memory or whatever. I did think however, that the red video button was for when you were shooting stills and wanted to record movies, but since I don't shoot stills, that button is pretty useless to me.