Sigma ART 35, 50 & 85mm diameter of front element ?

Mr. Ambiguous

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, scotchtape said:

Since you posted that I guess you haven't tried google it yourself? :) The only information a google search reveals is the front diameter of the filter thread, which is not of importance... it's the diameter of the front element I'm interested in (I'm sure the information could be find on some website, but where? That's the question...)

1 minute ago, jonpais said:

I don't suppose anyone here is interested in why Mr. Ambiguous wants to know the size of the elements. 

Anamorphic compatibility for those who wonders :)  We want fast and sharp lenses at a good price point (Sigma ART series) and now we're looking at the compatibility of pairing those with various anamorphic adapters, hence the importance of the diameter of the front element, not the thread diameter.

//cheers

3 hours ago, Mr. Ambiguous said:

hence the importance of the diameter of the front element, not the thread diameter.

In cinema lenses the housing is kept consistent across the whole setup regardless of the glass element size so that you can swithch lenses without having to reposition the follow focus and mattebox, but in photo lenses the filter thread size is pretty much the diameter of the front element plus 1 or 2 mm because the goal is to make the smallest lens possible without compromising speed or optical quality.

2 hours ago, tweak said:

Usually these fast lenses have big front elements that don't pair so well as slower more simplistic designs

Usually... but the Sigma 50mm f1.4 has a 77mm filter thread and weights over 800 gr. which I'm not so sure means a huge optical improvement over my old Nikkor 50mm f1.4 with a 52mm thread. Same applies to some Zeiss/Contax designs which are very compact yet fast and optically superb... With stills lenses there isn't as direct a correlation as with cinema lenses...

4 minutes ago, pablogrollan said:

In cinema lenses the housing is kept consistent across the whole setup regardless of the glass element size so that you can swithch lenses without having to reposition the follow focus and mattebox, but in photo lenses the filter thread size is pretty much the diameter of the front element plus 1 or 2 mm because the goal is to make the smallest lens possible without compromising speed or optical quality.

Usually... but the Sigma 50mm f1.4 has a 77mm filter thread and weights over 800 gr. which I'm not so sure means a huge optical improvement over my old Nikkor 50mm f1.4 with a 52mm thread. Same applies to some Zeiss/Contax designs which are very compact yet fast and optically superb... With stills lenses there isn't as direct a correlation as with cinema lenses...

That's the reason a cinema lens costs so much more compared to photo lens with the same specs, and yes... it's very nice to have. I've worked a lot with Cooke and Zeiss cinema primes and those are marvellous, but this time they're way out of budget. Fast and sharp on a "low budget" is key here. Anamorphic would be amazing and suite the project well, but there seems to be no good way of pairing these criteria. Maybe Letus AnamorphX would do the job, but then there's the budget issue again... 

1 minute ago, Mr. Ambiguous said:

Fast and sharp on a "low budget" is key here

If you don't mind the inconvenience of not having proper "cinema ergonomics" and focus breathing, fast-sharp-cheap is doable. After all, Zeiss CP2s are rehoused stills lenses and there are many, many used fast and wonderful primes in pristine condition on sale at ebay, Keh and similar places. Anamorphic is another story, though... I'm not convinced by the quality I've seen from any of the anamorphic adapters out there...

9 hours ago, pablogrollan said:

What are you trying to say? Bigger front element won't make a better lens to pair with even if the lens alone is hugely improved upon over your old Nikkor, that's exactly what I'm getting at. The more simplistic the lens design with as smaller front element as possible usually yields the best results (not always, but in most cases).