Focal length conversion for Anamorphot 1.33 - 50?

Mr. Ambiguous

Hi everyone!

I apologize if this have been covered here before, I searched and googled for it but came up empty handed (feel free to send me a link if you know any)

So, I have an upcoming project which are about to shoot this summer. At our disposal we have a Sony A7s II together with the Sigma MC-11 Canon to Sony adapter and also a Speedbooster for those APS-C shots. We've been looking at the Anamorphot 1.33 - 50. At SLR Magic's website they state the following: "40-85mm focal length can be used for Full Frame sensor."

Since the Anamorphot adapter will make the focal length wider, is there a way to calculate what for example a 50mm lens will become equivalent to (in terms of focal length) with the 1.33 -50 Anamorphot adapter? Is is as simple as multiplying the focal length of the lens by 0,77? (Figured x0,77 since the adapter squeezes the image by 33%: 100% - 33% = 77%)

A 50mm turns into 38,5mm?

A 85mm turns into 65,45mm?

Also, why 'can't' you use a lens above 85mm?

//cheers

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 03/03/2017 at 7:49 AM, Tito Ferradans said:

www.tferradans.com/anacalc/go :D

aaaand http://www.tferradans.com/blog/?p=8330

it's not that you CAN'T go beyond 85mm, is just that image quality starts to drop considerably.

Awesome, great tool! Watched a lot of your videos on YT, looks like you know your stuff :) I bet it's hard though to find a sharp taking lens above 85mm with a small enough front element to be used with anamorphic adapters?

17 hours ago, Mr. Ambiguous said:

Awesome, great tool! Watched a lot of your videos on YT, looks like you know your stuff :) I bet it's hard though to find a sharp taking lens above 85mm with a small enough front element to be used with anamorphic adapters?

Thank you! Make sure to subscribe!

And yeah, that sums it up. I bet one of those compact 85/2.8 would do an amazing job, but I haven't had the chance to test one yet! :D

7 hours ago, Tito Ferradans said:

Thank you! Make sure to subscribe!

And yeah, that sums it up. I bet one of those compact 85/2.8 would do an amazing job, but I haven't had the chance to test one yet! :D

Subscribed my friend! Keep up the good work:thumbsup:

Yeah I've been looking at a few lenses now and most of the narrower ones have quite a big front element, but I've found a few that might do the job. I'll post another thread where I've gathered a Canon prime setup, I'd love to hear your input on that once I've posted!

//cheers