Information on mobile phone filmmaking

carlmart

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
27 minutes ago, carlmart said:

Even if I have two video cameras, I'm pretty much interested on serious mobile phone shooting and editing for pro applications.

Is there a specific forum here or elsewhere to go discuss there matters? No sub-forum here for now, apparently.

This is the Forum to discuss it, a subforum only works if there is a very bog interest.

I recently Shot something for personal use and the iPhone Software does wonders with the small Chip, and the sound is better than anything my Stills cameras spit out with the internal mic (the Software does a good Job to cancel out noises)In the end it saved me a lot of time.

I was wondering if the Filmic Pro App really permits to disable the stabilization to avoid the heavy crop.

1 hour ago, Nikkor said:

This is the Forum to discuss it, a subforum only works if there is a very bog interest.

I recently Shot something for personal use and the iPhone Software does wonders with the small Chip, and the sound is better than anything my Stills cameras spit out with the internal mic (the Software does a good Job to cancel out noises)In the end it saved me a lot of time.

I was wondering if the Filmic Pro App really permits to disable the stabilization to avoid the heavy crop.

It does. Shot from the same position on my desk at work with iPhone 6s:

iOS camera app

ios_stab.jpg

FilmicPro with stabilization

filmicpro_stab.jpg

FilmicPro without stabilization

ios_nonstab.jpg

I'm planning to buy the newly announced Zhiyun Smooth Q for the gf, with the thought that probably I'll use it even more than her. Looking forward to using that with FilmicPro and then trying to match it to my big camera via FilmConvert.

On 1/3/2017 at 2:42 PM, Phil A said:

iOS camera app

ios_stab.jpg

filmicpro_stab.jpg

ios_nonstab.jpg

I'm planning to buy the newly announced Zhiyun Smooth Q for the gf, with the thought that probably I'll use it even more than her. Looking forward to using that with FilmicPro and then trying to match it to my big camera via FilmConvert.

Hey Phil, does it also get Tod of some crop in 120/240fps Mode? Another question is how much better the highspeed looks in filmic pro. I need some slowmo Shots but I don't want to get a new camera so I have to get the Maximum out of my iPhone 6s.

On 5.3.2017 at 9:41 PM, Nikkor said:

Hey Phil, does it also get Tod of some crop in 120/240fps Mode? Another question is how much better the highspeed looks in filmic pro. I need some slowmo Shots but I don't want to get a new camera so I have to get the Maximum out of my iPhone 6s.

I didn't really test it yet, only shot some Hyperlapse travel stuff with it yet and cursed the lacking dynamic range of the phone. If I find time this week I'll try to make a comparison for you. I can compare 120fps with iPhone, A6300 and NX1 if anyone cares.

On 3/7/2017 at 0:42 AM, Phil A said:

I didn't really test it yet, only shot some Hyperlapse travel stuff with it yet and cursed the lacking dynamic range of the phone. If I find time this week I'll try to make a comparison for you. I can compare 120fps with iPhone, A6300 and NX1 if anyone cares.

I'm interested.  Just got an iPhone, Filmic Pro, and the ioGrapher Case.  Tired of trying (and usually failing) to catch family stuff with my "real" camera, so it'd be cool to see any comparisons.

• 1 month later...

Bringing this thread up again. I'm considering more super short form stuff for social media, even for Instagram story.

We've used the Zhiyun Smooth Q quite a bit on a trip recently and it's so nice to have your crappy iPhone footage well stabilized. It's a lot more compact than a bigger stabilizer with a MILC so we had some cases where we actually preferred it over using a Crane with a Sony.

Next step now would be to have that stuff actually look good.
I have my basic workflow for the look I'm going for in Davinci Resolve, dialed in on my desktop system, as a power grade, so I can also use that on my laptop for quick turnaround by just smacking it on and then doing some fine adjustments, e.g. if I slightly botched exposure or white balance.

But I wondered now: is there an app for iOS that lets you slap on a *.cube LUT on footage?
I'd love to transfer stuff (that I plan to properly edit later on) to my iPhone or iPad, put a lut on it and post it to social media / snapchat / instagram story or just show it to people.
You could even do mini-edits with iMovie maybe.

It's obviously not something for narrative or long form documentaries but I think it would be viable for interactive travel documentary, vlogging, etc.

Tagging @kidzrevil , you seemed to be quite active in that direction. What's your current workflow?

• Super Members

Yes, there is this one called VideoLut

It has an iPhone version

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/video-lut-colorgrade-video-editor/id1082340556?mt=8

And an iPad version

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/video-lut-color-grading/id1170270352?mt=8

It has a bunch of presets and you can import additional ones of your own.

The LumaFusion app is quite neat for editing as its allows a bit more picture control than iMovie.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/lumafusion-pro-video-editing-and-effects/id1062022008?mt=8

Whats good about iMovie though is that it does have a route into finishing your projects on FCPX (and by extension Resolve via XML) as it can use the desktop version of iMovie to act as a bridge between the two. Why they don't just let you put it straight into FCXP I don't know but the path exists albeit slightly convoluted if you need it.

On 3/1/2017 at 8:42 AM, Phil A said:

iOS camera app

ios_stab.jpg

filmicpro_stab.jpg

ios_nonstab.jpg

I have a iPhone 6s Plus with 128gb, use FilmicPro, and have a Moondog Labs 37mm screw on Anamorphic 1.33 Lens. I have the Moondog Labs filter adapter ,screw on ND filter, and their Polarizer filter. I have a Came TV 32 bit Gimbal  for the phone also.  The 6s plus is too heavy without modifying the Gimbal with the Anamorphic lens on it, would really need to use the smaller 6 or 7 with it, but then you loose IOS, sucks ass. But nice to have the bigger screen to frame and review though and even something to hold on too LoL..

Output in normal light it produces is pretty damn good, even in 4k. Is it a GH4, well no, but for as small as it is, with you all the time, hell why not.

But I can tell you Gimbals that small are pretty damn fragile. Scares the heck out of me every time I use it. Works damn good though. 32 bit boards work wonders over 16 bit ones of the past. But the new DJI phone Gimbal maybe be as good or better?? Probably is. It came out after I bought the Came TV one.

https://www.came-tv.com/products/came-action-2-3-axis-gimbal-iphone-32-bit-boards-with-encoders

https://www.dji.com/osmo-mobile

This is a little footage I shoot without the Anamorphic lens on it. First try on the way to the Grand Canyon. iPhone 6s plus, 4k, with OIS on. No Gimbal.

This is one using the Came TV Gimbal without the Anamorphic lens. 4k, Jerome, Arizona. That is what a Saguaros Cactus skeleton looks like! I think that is the species?

I think the colors out of a iPhone are just scary good. They are sort of a miracle. But my old Samsung Note 4 in 4k was good also. I Highly recommend using Mobile Phones for Video!

Haven't looked in here for a while. Heads up :anyone interested in this thread might do well to check out #mojocon (the conference, the facebook group, the YouTube videos and live streaming...). 

• Super Members

I put this in the NAB thread but might be more appropriate in here.

Really neat wireless system for mobile film making but also has a loop out so can be used with regular cameras.

Would be particularly good for the DJI Osmo as well as the form factor of it attaching to the back of the phone means no clumsy mounting options like you have to do with regular wireless receivers.

Decent value too at $249 for a mic and receiver or $350 for two mics and a receiver.

Just saw that on YT yesterday. No real information or value in it but "inspirational vid bla". 

I think there's two trends. One is shooting with the phone, the other is actually shooting with a real camera and editing mobile to directly post to social media.

• Super Members

Using iOS devices for live broadcast streaming is becoming increasingly interesting too.

I've done a trial with Teradek's Live:Air app which lets you do multi camera switching with graphic overlays and even pre-record play ins.

The iPad version lets you switch 4 cameras which can be any combination of the internal iPad cameras, other iOS devices using the free Live:Air Remote and 'real' cameras via one of Teradek's encoders such as Vidiu.

Whats good about it is that it lets you buy the features you need as in app purchases so you can build it up as you go. Although obviously compared to a full switcher its still really cheap even when you've bought all the add ons.

Whats even better is the iPhone only version (Live:Air Solo) is completely free but only supports two cameras. But of course unlike some iPads you also have the broadcast element (i.e. the modem) already built in.

So with a couple of iPhones and a pocket wireless router (the iPhones have to be on the same network) you can do a reasonably decent looking cable free live production and broadcast it using the easy templates to all the major platforms. 

With the iPad version, you can create some pretty full on live event broadcasting like this video below. I'm not sure its compulsory for the GoPro being strapped to the head of course!

https://teradek.com/collections/live-air-family