Information on mobile phone filmmaking

carlmart

https://***URL not allowed***/photo-video-apps-mobile-creator/

Article by Cinema5D about "9 Must-Have Photo and Video Apps For The Mobile Creator".

Last weekend we had an Instagram story thing going in parallel to a cooking video we work on. Basically while shooting the video I also shot short snippets in vertical orientation. Threw them on the laptop into Resolve, smashed FilmConvert und another LUT over it, exported and transferred to an iPad. Used Video Rotate & Flip to change the meta tag about the orientation to vertical to put it into the Instagram story. Obviously day and night quality difference to shooting your story snaps with the phone, very little effort though.
Next step is now to see if I can get the video quickly to the iPad (SD adapter or Lightning-to-USB adapter) without using the laptop and use the Video LUT app to smash my exported FC profile & stylized LUT as *.cube files straight over it.
Wish I could upload to the IG story from Windows.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So I tried to use an "iPad only" workflow last weekend when traveling with the GH5. The iPad Pro can import the 10bit 4:2:2 1080p files (I shot in V-Log L) via the Apple USB-adapter kit but you can't play them. So far so good.

I tried to open the files in the "Video LUT" app but they don't work. So you can't put a LUT on the 10bit files this way.

I tried to open the files in iMovie and they actually open AND play in it! So I exported them from iMovie again and as expected it converted them to 8bit material that can be played/used in other apps.

With the files exported this way I went back to the Video LUT app and tried some LUTs. I have 3 LUTs from FilmConvert and one of the Osiris LUTs imported so I tried these. Unfortunately I got crazy severe banding and block artifacts in the sky, I can't judge though which step is at fault: the Video LUT app, the actual *.cube LUTs or the (probably low quality) export from iMovie. My guess is the latter.

Tl;dr: There seems to be no working 10bit workflow on the iPad/iPhone. 8bit might work (didn't try) but then you need separate source material than for the actual edit on your computer.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Stumbled over the video from @Brother that VSCO now rolled out beta support for using their filters, etc. also on videos for VSCO X subscribers. Imho that's great, especially for the Instagram Stories users, now you can have a consistent look between your pictures and videos.