Is it possible to put filters in between your camera and lens body?

Ben J.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Ben J. said:

Wow I can't believe how far this went! Mattias Burling, you should do a video on this haha! 

noone, how is your experience with the fotga adatper? Can you control aperture manually? Any problems like light leak or crashing/shutting off the camera?  I've never heard of this adapter before, but if I run into the problem that I'm currently having, this might work. Be interesting to see a video test with that IR filter.

The Fotga adapter is fine but I am only using it for stills.        The Canon lenses can not be used for video AF on my A7s as all my adapters are AFS only effectively and even if it did work for AFC, it would be very slow.    

Aperture control is exactly the same as with a Canon camera.     IE control is via the camera (unless using a lens like a third party MF lens with an aperture ring).

I have had no issues with light leaks or any other problems with it (and not really any with any adapter other than ALL the adapters play up with my Sigma  150 except for the "broken" no name adapter and manual focus).

For video and the A7s, I am mostly using the FE kit lens when I want AF, sometimes the Sony Zeiss 55 1.8 but mostly manual focus with the Canon 17 TS-E on my Metabones IV and mostly I am just shooting bands for the odd song or two getting all band members in shot and focus and letting them do the work.     The Fotga would not be as good as the MB iv for that as the "hole" isn't quite as large (or scalloped )when I want to shift the lens a fraction.      The Fotga is also a lot lighter as it is mostly plastic while the Metabones is metal.    the 17 TS-E is a heavy and valuable lens and while the Fotga would likely be fine with the lens, I don't want to risk it, especially in a mosh pit or near the stage at a pub gig.

The Fotga works great with my 100 f2 and 40 2.8 STM.

I might try a video with the IR filter at some point but it would be pretty lame if I did it.

I am more interested now in finding some other filters to try IN the adapter spot.   

Prime interest to me is that apodization filter but it seems it will be very costly if possible at all.

I am looking on Ebay for some cheap other 43mm filters to play with.      Maybe a polarizer and maybe some close up filters and even maybe one of those Hollywood Black Magic filters in a low strength one (to try behind the 100 f2 and 40 2.8 maybe for stills?).     Other possibilities include things like star filters and diffusers and whatever else comes along.

I might try a clear glass filter and smear the edges with something or using different sticky tapes around the edges (I am very curious).

I have a couple of things to shoot for people this week so I might see if I can find a 43mm filter locally.    I am shooting a favourite band on Friday night.    I doubt the light will be good enough to use the IR filter behind the 17 but it might be ok behind the 100, maybe I can try a couple of seconds of video with that?

On 2/25/2017 at 4:42 PM, Mattias Burling said:

Is there anyone of those you think would be ideal for modifications?

Getting a bit interested in this myself.

SO GENTLEMEN. Despite having some good feedback, I think I have even better news! Check this new item out (never even knew about it). https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/856343-REG/B_W_66_1071048_82mm_Kaesemann_Circular_Polarizer.html   And after talking to schnieder optics, the HBM filter has been updated with front threads!!

• Super Members
2 minutes ago, Ben J. said:

SO GENTLEMEN. Despite having some good feedback, I think I have even better news! Check this new item out (never even knew about it). https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/856343-REG/B_W_66_1071048_82mm_Kaesemann_Circular_Polarizer.html   And after talking to schnieder optics, the HBM filter has been updated with front threads!!

Cool, but thats not what I need. My goal is to have all the needed filters in camera so I can swap lenses without having to move the filter.
I use magnetic filter adapters today for quick swaps of for example the build in ND.

But it would be nice to have both an ND and IR Cut (or just IR) built in.

On 2/28/2017 at 3:12 PM, Mattias Burling said:

Cool, but thats not what I need. My goal is to have all the needed filters in camera so I can swap lenses without having to move the filter.
I use magnetic filter adapters today for quick swaps of for example the build in ND.

But it would be nice to have both an ND and IR Cut (or just IR) built in.

Well it was too good to be true. Unfortunately despite advertising it, they discontinued it a while ago. Kind of pissed at the lack of updates to their site and material at schneider optics. So after a week of talking to people from B&H and schneider, I'm back at square one. Looks like I'll either be cutting the glass, or just sticking to one filter....which I'm not happy about, but we'll see.  These filter companies need to get their head out of their asses and wake up to 2017. Update your dam sites schneider and tiffen!