How many filters can I stack before vignetting?

Ben J.

So I'm planning on using a full frame camera with a canon 16-35mm lens at 16mm meant for full frame, and I wanted to use a polarizer and another filter stacked on. The question I have is can I fit 2 stacked screw on filters without vignetting happening? If not, would well built step up rings with the filters going from native 77mm to 82mm get rid of vignetting?

Here are the filters 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1141525-REG/b_w_1081478_77mm_xs_pro_mc_kaesemann.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/902702-REG/Schneider_68_091277_77mm_Hollywood_Magic_1_2.html    (this would be in front because of no front filter thread)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Are we talking for photos or video? Unless you are shooting 4k I would think 1080p output would be pretty soft especially using the Hollywood Black Magic 1/2 Filter. I would not think using the 2 of them together would produce much  vignetting. Lots of people shot with a Polarizer and say a UV filter at the same time. But you are going to loose a stop or two using both at the same time.  :grimace:

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

Are we talking for photos or video? Unless you are shooting 4k I would think 1080p output would be pretty soft especially using the Hollywood Black Magic 1/2 Filter. I would not think using the 2 of them together would produce much  vignetting. Lots of people shot with a Polarizer and say a UV filter at the same time. But you are going to loose a stop or two using both at the same time.  :grimace:

Video on the a7sii at either resolution but 4k is a main thing I will be shooting in, and with canon L lenses. Hopefully like you say on a fullframe, 2 filters is okay to use, as I am looking to have both without cropped corners/vignetting. I just didn't know since 16mm is a very wide degree/angle. 

You can rent/borrow a 77mm and/or 82mm filter(s) and just hold/tape it in front of your lens to check for vignetting.  Position it slightly forward to simulate two stacked filters with the added length of a step-up ring (and the extra millimeter or two from a polarizer).

You could also just buy/rent a big matte box with the same filters.