AMD RYZEN brings high performance 4K video editing to the masses on a budget

LimitBreak

AMD officially announced RYZEN 8 cores lineup, it beats intel's 8 core i7 6900K for less than half the price

Ryzen 7 1800X: 8C/16T, 3.6 GHz base, 4.0 GHz turbo, 95W, $499

Ryzen 7 1700X: 8C/16T, 3.4 GHz base, 3.8 GHz turbo, 95W, $399

Ryzen 7 1700: 8C/16T, 3.0 GHz base, 3.7 GHz turbo, $329

R-14b.jpg

R-18b.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

While it's good to see AMD putting pressure on Intel, this thread is about video editing, not gaming or general use. The majority of video shot today uses a long-GOP codec such as H264. Intel's Quick Sync is a huge performance advantage in encoding or decoding these common codecs, and unfortunately Ryzen has nothing like that. Years ago, hardware-accelerated transcoding had a reputation for producing lower quality, but on FCPX I have extensively tested H264 exports both with and without Quick Sync, and it's hard to tell the difference, except Quick Sync is 4x faster and CPU levels are much lower when scrubbing the timeline.

Hopefully Ryzen will force Intel to broaden their i5 and i7 portfolio to include more 8-core products, and help make 8 cores the new standard for enthusiast machines.

What about heat production and energy consumption? I try to build low energy/low heat/low noise machines and Intel Xeon cpus were my best friends the last decade or so (another reason I went fully PC).

It is good to see AMD up their games, but it seems to me that they aren't great editing choices yet for 4K editing. I hope I am wrong, as eventually (maybe this year) I have to replace my good old Xeon 123v4(or something!), and every little helps to bring down the enormous costs of an editing machine.

1 hour ago, zerocool22 said:

I never heard about quick sync. So I googled it, it seems it is not compatible with Davinci Resolve nor Adobe Premiere/after effects. 

So Im thinking going AMD ryzen all the way in a couple of weeks. 

There isn't really an incompatibility per se between Quick Sync and Resolve or Premiere, but the developers of those products haven't yet figured out how to use Quick Sync. Since Apple has used this for years on FCPX, I don't know what the hold up is. However the bottom line is Resolve and Premiere don't use Quick Sync (or don't use it effectively), so for users of those products Ryzen looks great.

Also Intel doesn't put Quick Sync on any CPU over 4 cores, so for an 8-core i7-6900K vs 8-core Ryzen 7 1800X, Quick Sync doesn't enter the picture. This will put pressure on Intel to drop prices, use 8-core CPUs more broadly and maybe even move Quick Sync up to 8-core products.

3 hours ago, Kisaha said:

What about heat production and energy consumption? I try to build low energy/low heat/low noise machines and Intel Xeon cpus were my best friends the last decade or so (another reason I went fully PC).

It is good to see AMD up their games, but it seems to me that they aren't great editing choices yet for 4K editing. I hope I am wrong, as eventually (maybe this year) I have to replace my good old Xeon 123v4(or something!), and every little helps to bring down the enormous costs of an editing machine.

They are ~95w CPUs!

Maybe its time to ditch my i7 and GTX1060, going all AMD this year! (Ryzen + VEGA combo)

Sick of seeing my 4core i7 is still relevant after all this years and 8 core Intel setup is still waay over priced (cpu + mobo is too high priced)

8core cpu at only 65W is massive! Intel 8core is pretty power hungry at 140w!

Quicksync is irrelevant IMHO, doesn't care since my GTX1060 does big improvment over my old GTX660 on rendering time, 8c16t >>>>>>4c8t any time of the day, especially on vfx heavy projects

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Just be aware, you can not run any Mac stuff with a AMD Proccessor. So no dual boot stuff, Hackintosh..

Really?

I thought they were both the same x86 and x64 architecture.

As far as I know a Hackintosh can use an AMD CPU.

Apple has Never used a AMD processor in any box or laptop computer they have ever made. So in essence they are incompatible. I am no computer wiz,, but I am no dummy on them either LoL. I have tried to make them work No luck on a consistent basis. Too risky with video footage. YMMV

No saying nothing Mac based will work, but later OIS won't, and if you do get it to work, you can NEVER upgrade the operating system to a newer one with a AMD processor. You have to blow away everything and start over with newer update.

Plenty of info on line for trying it, but not much to write home about working like it can with a Intel Processor. And that does work fairly well. Pretty much what a Power Mac was years ago. A dual boot system.

Quicksync isn't used because to use it means you have to enable the built-in GPU of an Intel CPU. And most pc-users use discrete graphics card meaning that the Intel GPU is disabled.

Also quicksync is not very high quality on h264 encodes (atleast two years back) so it was preferable to run without it.

12 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Apple has Never used a AMD processor in any box or laptop computer they have ever made.

AMD is x86 compatible though and according to reports on reddit it seems many people have made an AMD hackintosh.

• Administrators
13 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Apple has Never used a AMD processor in any box or laptop computer they have ever made. So in essence they are incompatible. I am no computer wiz,, but I am no dummy on them either LoL. I have tried to make them work No luck on a consistent basis. Too risky with video footage. YMMV

There are Hackintosh systems working with AMD processors... They run a customised Kernel.

And a few updated KEXTs

Harder to get working than an Intel rig, but still 100% possible for the hardcore enthusiasts to consider doing it

I have been using both Mac and a PC desktop at the same time for many years... Windows was really crap when looked back to windows 7/8, but Windows 10 is much more robust than before and it keeps getting better.

Many of my friends still complaining about windows 10 ----- for it's slow, or easy to have issues. I looked into my parents' crappy windows 10, my friends' crappy windows 10, even my boss's crappy windows 10..... The solution was actually quite amusing ----- Get rid of all your "cleaning" and "optimizing" softwares and be ware of the "safety" software. There are MANY MANY apps / softwares which make windows unstable and slow, yet they claim they can make your windows better.

Just try a clean install windows 10 without anything mentioned above. I mean CLEAN install, not a reset of your laptop with those pre-installed software in your system. You'll see the difference after a couple of months, maybe just even a few hours, you really don't want those parasites in your computer. I have a clean install since the first month they release windows 10, and I have no issues after the first months when the new OS was not quite mature. CLEAN install is the only way, any upgrade from old version is crap.

But hell yea OSX is amazing.... Only the price makes me think it's getting close to its limit.