What the Berlinale film festival taught me about Cameras

Ed_David

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Shame I was out of town when you were in town Ed.

A friend had a film in the festival, and I also missed that!

He shot it on the 5D Mark II with Magic Lantern RAW... apparently looked just like film on the big screen.

If anything, the small screen is more critical as you're sat so close to every pixel.

What did you think to Berlin? Weird isn't it? :)

Berlin is amazing!  It feels like NYC from like 20 years ago.  The people are great there.  There is a renewed experience, to make the city something, after everything that went down in the 20th century.  It's really something amazing to be apart of.

Nice guys on all your comments.

SAM, yes, you can have my F65.  I will go back to shooting on a t2i

7 minutes ago, Ed_David said:

Berlin is amazing!  It feels like NYC from like 20 years ago.  The people are great there.  There is a renewed experience, to make the city something, after everything that went down in the 20th century.  It's really something amazing to be apart of.

Nice guys on all your comments.

SAM, yes, you can have my F65.  I will go back to shooting on a t2i

Honestly, I would love to see what you could do with a t2i or a D5500. 

23 hours ago, Ed_David said:

I was sitting 30 rows in the back, in the front, all over the place.

I couldn't tell anything

After all that,

after everything we do, and say,

at the end of the day,

none of us can tell.

I agree with you Ed. 

I had a music video nominated for a Metal Hammer award, they played it on the big screen for a bit. I was blown away by the quality. It was shot in a GH3. 

Sat back, I also saw a test clip on Vimeo I thought was the Alexa. No, it was actually the 8-bit A6300 in Slog3. 

I'm also gobsmacked how much better my videos look on an iPad or iPhone. Noise is gone. Images I thought were soft actually resolve brilliantly. Most is low bitrate footage. 

We all know that content is most important. With cameras, they're all good enough to realise that content. The skill is choosing the correct characteristics for that content and maximising a cameras capabilities. 

I've got little interest in the "camera race" at the moment, it's extremely minor in the scheme of things. 

5 hours ago, sam said:

When should I book my flight to Brooklyn?

By the way, you happen to know anyone in town who has a F35?  I wanna swap my new F65 for it and some cash.

Now that is pretty low LoL.  :grimace: Maybe he will pay for your round trip airfair too! Young guys and want money to boot. Make him carry it all the way walking home!

15 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

He shot it on the 5D Mark II with Magic Lantern RAW... apparently looked just like film on the big screen.

nice, whats it called?

6 hours ago, sam said:

By the way, you happen to know anyone in town who has a F35?  I wanna swap my new F65 for it and some cash.

Hello friend sam I have an F35 Sony Cinema Camera in sale in Perfect condition but I am currently overseas performing my medical duties in Cairo. I am willing to sell it for a very low price to honorable board members such as yourself. Please PM me for details. Hakuna matata

11 hours ago, sam said:

When should I book my flight to Brooklyn?

Don't waste time with the F35. It's old. 

I think you should check out the Panasonic DVX100. It's a game changer with progressive frames. 

3 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Don't waste time with the F35. It's old. 

I think you should check out the Panasonic DVX100. It's a game changer with progressive frames. 

Nah....Hi8 or minidv.  I'm still testing.  Leaning towards the Hi8 though.  It has a nice vintage feel with very filmic noise vs the minidv cam.  Been having issues with the jog dial on my editing deck, so testing has been taking longer than expected.

@Dogtown we did a tv series with thus setup a lot of years ago EX-3 with a Letus adapter! Was a nightmare to light but back then it was the best budgeted workflow for a small market.

I still use the EX-1 for some plain events coverage, it has started shown its age, but still quite competutive for a cam corder