Razer Blade - Returned, A Poem

Ed_David

I wish I didn't have to say this, but I have to.

I just can't get into Windows.

I hate Apple - I hate their overpriced policy - their attitude, their upper-middle class snootiness.  

But I can't live anymore without OS X.  

It just works well.  It has less weird mistakes and less moments of "Oh my god, is this computer dead?"

And that's the last thing I need in the field - for a computer to not be reliable.  I'm not bringing 2 laptops on trips.

So farewell to you, Razer Blade and your NVIDIA 4tb 1060 gfx card and 3 usb ports and thunderbolt 3 port.

I wish I could have kept you, but I can't.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Personally, I can't stand OS X. I've never understood why most creatives seem to prefer it as an operating system. Why?! Granted, I grew up using Windows and worked in IT for a couple years, so I'd venture to guess I'm probably more of a power-user than the average, everyday person, but still, just in things like ease-of-use, customization, more advanced program management and multi-tasking, I'd take windows every time, hands down. In fact, the only reason I can possibly think of using an apple computer or their OS -- ever -- is if you're a fcpx user, since hackintosh is such a pain to get reliably running. 

Maybe there is some special secret to loving OS X, but if there is, I certainly haven't discovered it yet. 

I was working OS and Final cut for a good 5 year+ 3 years in Film school. I don't really get what's so "amazing" about it. Maybe only the "eject" button for the usb devices.

Years ago, the Mac Pro's and their amazing cinema displays were making sense for editing, now you have even better displays for cheaper (or Korean same panels less inputs, dead cheap!), now with the latest disappointing pro products, I do not see myself even care about them, at all.

Windows are so simple and straightforward, and work so good these days that I do not even wanna go back to DOS 3 that I started using a computer.

and I do not want to go to the hardware and overpricing side of things (the same processors, hard drives and graphic cards cost double or more on the macs..seriously?? at least game consoles have proprietary hardware specially designed for them, even when the PC hardware surpass them, you can not really tell, because they are not comparable!), and how close this system is. You can't really choose what you want to do, I guess it is easier, for people that do not wanna have infinite decisions. Another weird fact that I have noticed, is that a lot of communist friends (not leftists, communists) are Apple fanatics, even in some hardcore communist political party they have only iMacs(!), and I tend to believe, because communism is a very close system, that their mentality tends to work better with macs. This is a very interesting fact. 

Even for that - close system - I am ideologically against it, systems must be open, free (which windows isn't, at least it is ok priced and software can be dead cheap) and for most, that is an evolutionary statement.

Unfortunately a tried a couple of years ago to see what linux has to offer, and it wasn't in the same league for video editing. Maybe I will try again some time. I believe Lightworks works with Linux these days.

30 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

I was working OS and Final cut for a good 5 year+ 3 years in Film school. I don't really get what's so "amazing" about it. Maybe only the "eject" button for the usb devices.

Years ago, the Mac Pro's and their amazing cinema displays were making sense for editing, now you have even better displays for cheaper (or Korean same panels less inputs, dead cheap!), now with the latest disappointing pro products, I do not see myself even care about them, at all.

Windows are so simple and straightforward, and work so good these days that I do not even wanna go back to DOS 3 that I started using a computer.

and I do not want to go to the hardware and overpricing side of things (the same processors, hard drives and graphic cards cost double or more on the macs..seriously?? at least game consoles have proprietary hardware specially designed for them, even when the PC hardware surpass them, you can not really tell, because they are not comparable!), and how close this system is. You can't really choose what you want to do, I guess it is easier, for people that do not wanna have infinite decisions. Another weird fact that I have noticed, is that a lot of communist friends (not leftists, communists) are Apple fanatics, even in some hardcore communist political party they have only iMacs(!), and I tend to believe, because communism is a very close system, that their mentality tends to work better with macs. This is a very interesting fact. 

Even for that - close system - I am ideologically against it, systems must be open, free (which windows isn't, at least it is ok priced and software can be dead cheap) and for most, that is an evolutionary statement.

Unfortunately a tried a couple of years ago to see what linux has to offer, and it wasn't in the same league for video editing. Maybe I will try again some time. I believe Lightworks works with Linux these days.

I've heard that some Apple fanatics are Jews!

@jonpais maybe the specific example was too much, but we are all nice people here and can talk freely! 

In reality, when someone so against capitalism, is so pro apple, that made me think a lot, as these little paradoxes in life always amaze me. Their own version is that "they work better, and you do not have to mess with many things". 

Sorry if it sounded somehow!

P.S I sense that New York Jews really have a preference in Apple too! Joking!

P.S 2 there are some books written that Apple "works" like a cult.

I do believe that, because I gave as a present a Xiaomi to an Apple user, and can't believe that the 175$ device works better than his old 650$ Apple one (he had an older version)! 

They are obviously overpriced, look like most phones out there,  do not perform much better, have worst battery (at least they do not explode of course!), so why?? 

14 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

@jonpais maybe the specific example was too much, but we are all nice people here and can talk freely! 

In reality, when someone so against capitalism, is so pro apple, that made me think a lot, as these little paradoxes in life always amaze me. Their own version is that "they work better, and you do not have to mess with many things". 

Sorry if it sounded somehow!

P.S I sense that New York Jews really have a preference in Apple too! Joking!

P.S 2 there are some books written that Apple "works" like a cult.

I do believe that, because I gave as a present a Xiaomi to an Apple user, and can't believe that the 175$ device works better than his old 650$ Apple one (he had an older version)! 

They are obviously overpriced, look like most phones out there,  do not perform much better, have worst battery (at least they do not explode of course!), so why?? 

Sorry, I couldn't resist. ? I think it's like saying Fuji users are all hipsters. I don't think you can judge people by the computer they use. As far as Xiaomi goes, if they had Apple's iOS, I'd get one in a heartbeat.

Edit: I own the 2016 MBPr with touch bar and haven't experienced any problems as of yet. 

2 hours ago, Parker said:

Personally, I can't stand OS X. I've never understood why most creatives seem to prefer it as an operating system. Why?! Granted, I grew up using Windows and worked in IT for a couple years, so I'd venture to guess I'm probably more of a power-user than the average, everyday person, but still, just in things like ease-of-use, customization, more advanced program management and multi-tasking, I'd take windows every time, hands down. In fact, the only reason I can possibly think of using an apple computer or their OS -- ever -- is if you're a fcpx user, since hackintosh is such a pain to get reliably running. 

Maybe there is some special secret to loving OS X, but if there is, I certainly haven't discovered it yet. 

I think the reason has more to do with psychology than anything else. A long time ago Mac products really were more advanced, while windows products were cheap but basic. So pros used the Apple products, and it became a mark of quality for them. If you used a Windows machine in their eyes it meant that you were not professional.

But now things have changed. Windows products are still cheaper, but they are far from basic and in many respects are superior to the Apple products. Plus they have built up a massive user/application base from the days when they were readily obtainable for the masses. To survive Apple have had to adapt to live in the Windows universe, not the other way around. But that old bias still remains. To prove that you are a "pro" to your peers you have to differentiate yourself from the common people, and that means that you use the exclusive expensive product rather than the cheaper mass produced one. It ceases to be a matter of objectivity and becomes a matter of faith, even when faced with pretty undeniable evidence that things are not what they once were.

@tugela completely agree.

That is the one side though, as you said, this is for the "pro" people, that being "pro means having an Apple, just because;

the other side is the "fashion" and "status" statement that Apple products are, as you said, the software and hardware advantage of the Apple equipment are not existent anymore, so they are going very much the opposite way (e.g loosing functionality and ergonomics) , as to make "fashion" and "marketing" statements that back fire in pro environments.

Make a comparison with the good old Mac pro towers we used to work. Ample space for everything and very good heat dissipation and design, look at the latest ones, amazing having one in plain view in your office (to make that fashion and status statement) but can't really put anything inside for the 4000$ you paid for.

Also, we used to do some VJing back in the crazy days and some on location editing, and it was great to have a Macbook Pro, when similar Windows laptops weren't even existed back then (and if, they were bulky), now, you have to carry with you an adapter for everything you use, and pay extra for every one of those!

Apple phones, the same and worst. etc etc

My 3 years old Chinese phone was just surpassed with the previous 5.5" iPhone ( I don't remember the numbers), and it costed me back in the day 225euros, and still has some advantages over the iPhone (sd card, dual SIM, it is thinner and a few other things).

When I put together my latest editing PC (I was thinking to go hackintosh, but never needed that), with 60% of the price of the MacPro, I even had some advantages! 

@jonpais maybe they will go Hackintosh on Andorid too at some point!

I have been using windows for exactly 20 years now, and the secret is I believe to get a monster hardware under it. Especially because of that I would never judge OS performance if it runs on a laptop. They have all sorts of crazy resource management solutions built into them, thermal throttling, shit bios etc. Who knows what trickery they had to employ to get that 18mm thick Razor Blade 1 degree cooler than lava..

I've spent the last year hoping back and forth between Premiere 2015.3 on Windows10 and Premier on OSX.  I can't tell you the number of times I've clicked the mouse on the Windows machine within Premiere, have it do nothing, click it again, and have it finally work.  Endless Windows quirks like that.  Maddening.

Never an issue on the 9 year old iMac that opens and edits the same project.

Just sayin'

Of course, hitting the render button on the Windows machine is fun.

So, my next step is Hackintosh all the way.  The joys of cheap swappable PC hardware and the Apple OS combined together...I'll go that route since I'm more of a power user with OSX anyway.

2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

amazing having one in plain view in your office (to make that fashion and status statement) but can't really put anything inside for the 4000$ you paid for.

Agreed.  The trashcan machine is an insult to professionals.  That said, I bought a "cube" once back in the day.  Of course, the cube never claimed it was a high performance pro rig. 

8 hours ago, jonpais said:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. ? I think it's like saying Fuji users are all hipsters. I don't think you can judge people by the computer they use. As far as Xiaomi goes, if they had Apple's iOS, I'd get one in a heartbeat.

Edit: I own the 2016 MBPr with touch bar and haven't experienced any problems as of yet. 

Are you saying you're not a hipster Jon? ;)

I love Windows (used 3.1, 95, 98, NT, XP, Vista, 7 and 10; some better than others), build my own desktop systems, had a bunch of laptops. And my systems always run, they have no kinks, no hickups. My girlfriend is stuck knee deep in the Apple environment, every time I use her MacBook Pro I want to scream but she really doesn't enjoy my windows systems. I feel like Apple is getting a bit too deep into "form over function" territory and too expensive, but I think both products can be fitting. Kinda sad though how the professional line gets left behind. 

On the other hand when my gf's iPhone 6s Plus broke she used my old Samsung Note 3 and she felt it's a superior phone. At the same time I enjoy my company's iPhone 6s workphone more than my private Android since a while.

You say tomato, I say tomato.

8 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

I've spent the last year hoping back and forth between Premiere 2015.3 on Windows10 and Premier on OSX.  I can't tell you the number of times I've clicked the mouse on the Windows machine within Premiere, have it do nothing, click it again, and have it finally work.  Endless Windows quirks like that.  Maddening.

Never an issue on the 9 year old iMac that opens and edits the same project.

Just sayin'

Of course, hitting the render button on the Windows machine is fun.

So, my next step is Hackintosh all the way.  The joys of cheap swappable PC hardware and the Apple OS combined together...I'll go that route since I'm more of a power user with OSX anyway.

Sounds strange but it's ain't like I couldn't imagine a scenario like that.

If Premiere get's unresponsive on me, it is usually caused by a 3rd party plugin. I have an old version of Neat Video for example that loves to cause chaos.

That being said my Photoshop is acting weird nowadays, throws image artifacts when I am editing in 16bit. Google says I should play with cache sizes.. But again, this is a behavior I don't see in 5.1 only CC and upwards so I assume that's a software glitch again. My 3 years old Win 7 setup still runs flawlessly in general.

I remember playing with a Hackintosh many years ago, it's Linux based and I couldn't wrap my head around those kext drivers and got a boot-loop whenever I wanted to change something. Friends complaining about poor compatibility with USB hardwares, you couldn't use certain ports etc. but they still insisted how awesome it is to finally get OS X on PC.

I suppose if you build a specific hardware for it from a recommended part list, things go smoother but I think it's that sense of "Mac reliability" that get's lost with hack builds. It's a gamble.

• Administrators

I was a Windows user for 10 years.

Mid-20's, I just wanted to start getting on with what I use a computer for, rather than nurturing and babysitting a powerful OS and set of customisable options, custom hardware, etc. So far last 10 years I have been on OS X.

The simplicity of Mac OS doesn't mean it's any less powerful than Windows, quite the opposite - much better memory management, less legacy code, better optimisation, better drivers and newer architecture all-round.

The UX is more consistent and the presentation is less flakey. Across all apps, the user interface is familiar, similar and refined. Across all apps in Windows - BAM different every time.

Windows slows down and starts getting unreliable after 6 months and you need to Google constant issues. Eventually it needs a re-install every year, whereas Mac OS will run for 5 years and be as fast at the end of it as it was at the start.

The UNIX OS is it is based on is a fundamentally more optimised, minimalist piece of code than bloated Windows.

You see it in Windows 10 - you have the new control panel interface, but the old one is still there under the hood and you can open that too.

Also I fail to see what extra features Windows 10 actually offers over Mac OS to make it compelling... Aside from the Surface Pro tablets, which I've tried too and ended up returning eventually because touch on a desktop OS isn't all the way there yet in terms of how useful it is long-term for serious work... It is quicker for some things but holding a finger to the screen for hours of creative work is actually much more tiring than using a plain old mouse and keyboard.

3 hours ago, Phil A said:

....I feel like Apple is getting a bit too deep into "form over function" territory and too expensive...

There is merit to the "form over function" complaint in the 2016 MacBook Pro, esp. in removing the SD card slot. Phil Schiller explained that camera wireless transfer was "very useful" vs the SD slot being "cumbersome". But for who? An SD slot is definitely not cumbersome for the pro users it would benefit. He apparently means Apple's designers view it as *aesthetically* cumbersome. His words are a topsy-turvy definition. What's "cumbersome" is current camera wireless transfer techniques. By contrast an SD card slot in an expensive Pro laptop is "useful".

That said, the title of this thread is the Razer Blade laptop. A top-spec 2016 MacBook Pro costs 22% less and weighs 90% less than the Razer Blade. According to battery tests by laptopmag.com, the 2016 15" MBP lasted 10 hr 32 min vs the Razer Blade Pro lasting 2 hr 45 min. So the GTX-1080 in a laptop looks really good until you have to provide power and use it in a real world environment.

• Administrators

Apple's recent moves have been questionable indeed... The travel on the keyboard of the new Macbook Pro is awful, way less comfortable than before, for the sake of shaving 1mm off the thickness of the chassis. The graphics are under-powered vs a Razor and Intel have stagnated badly, but the improved screen and new touch-bar are fantastic upgrades. Overall nothing beats the design for build quality, style, thinness.... only on functionality. The missing SD card slot is stupid. The move to USB-C all at once - I can see why they want to push the industry to dump all the legacy ports and standardise around a truly universal jack, but it's very painful for users in the short-term.

And the pricing is ridiculous... But you do get much better in-store support for 1 year than you would do with a PC.

9 minutes ago, joema said:

That said, the title of this thread is the Razer Blade laptop. A top-spec 2016 MacBook Pro costs 22% less and weighs 90% less than the Razer Blade. According to battery tests by laptopmag.com, the 2016 15" MBP lasted 10 hr 32 min vs the Razer Blade Pro lasting 2 hr 45 min. So the GTX-1080 in a laptop looks really good until you have to provide power and use it in a real world environment.

I see your point but... It does depend on the Razer you get... The GTX 1080 would surely have an Intel graphics chip to fall back on when it comes to real-world usage of standard every day tasks and if you are editing video you'd more than likely have it plugged into the wall... As you would a Macbook Pro as that would chew through the battery in less than 2 hours as well if doing intensive tasks as well.

12 hours ago, jonpais said:

Since the GH5 has USB-C, I wish someone would test the speed difference between offloading 30GB to a new Mac with the cable vs an SD card on the 2015 MBP.

Maybe the SD card slot won't be more convenient after all :)