My thoughts on the Kipon Medium Format "Speedbooster"

Mattias Burling

• Super Members
28 minutes ago, Nikkor said:

645 is the aps-c among medium format, 6x7 is the ideal format for printing (and larger than 645) ,etc... 6x6 and 6x9 are the odd sizes which waste film unless you really need the crop options, or use that weird ratio in some digital medium.

Fieldcurvature in a macro lens? I doubt it.

Its just our opinion Im not right nor wrong. Neither are you :)

For me 645 is to save film. 6x9 is for nice prints. 6x6 is for Square and pocketable.

6x7 is the odd APS-C. Smaller than my prefered 6x9 but not small enough to save film like the 645.

I dont think it being a macro have anything to do with it. Google "swirly bokeh". Its a very common characteristic in medium format lenses and many of my MF cameras has it.

So does alot of full frame lenses like the helios.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Its just our opinion Im not right nor wrong. Neither are you :)

It's not really about opinion, btw, check out that lens on film, you will see it's not that bad.

Macrolenses are designed to have a flat field, the swirley bokeh your pictures are showing is similar to what my cheap chinese canon eos m speedbooster does with nikkor glass.

• Super Members
5 minutes ago, Nikkor said:

It's not really about opinion.

Then please show me the document saying that Im not allowed to prefer the larger 6x9 for nice prints and 645 to save film.

I just made up the phrase "aps-c of MF" and you guys are acting like its a household and standardized technical term :)

And I still think you should look up swirly bokeh. Just Google it and I think you perception of "that bad" will quickly change.

Just now, Mattias Burling said:

The please showe the document saying that Im not allowed to prefer the larger 6x9 for nice prints and 645 to save prints.

I just made up the phrase "aps-c of MF" and you guys are acting like its a household and standardized technical term...

You can print the ratio you like mattias, you can even print anamorphic if you like, you can eat them afterwards if you like.

• Super Members
5 minutes ago, Nikkor said:

Thank you Captain Sweden for thanking me for respecting other people having an opinion.

Im actually only a Lieutenant.

In other news,
If one is interested in how "Swirly Bokeh" looks in Medium Format 6x6 film without using any sort of adapter here it is.

This is shot with a 75mm Zeiss lens on a fixed lens camera using Fujifilm Acros 100 film.
Its processed in Tetenal Neofin Blue I think. 

So as you can see the 80mm Macro has so far very very moderate swirl compared to this lens on film.

32741924981_d464c12aa3_z.jpg

Here are some other images from the Mamiya adapter and Macro lens that shows that the "issue" really isn't any "issue".

33027503136_dd89acef76_z.jpg

33069167405_5949d58f6e_z.jpg

On this one the detail can be shown quite effectively. The image is already cropped btw.
If you click on it and full screen and serve the towers, then click to zoom in, and you will see these thin wires appearing going down from the roof of each tower.
Makes me really want to try the A7r.

32687061320_b9b4442e73_z.jpg

It obviously is an issue, because the adapter has a bad design, it takes a good lens and destroys it. If you like swirley bokeh or don't give a shit about quality, have fun,but obviously that's something that has to be said when "reviewing" an adapter. Swirley bokeh has nothing to do with medium format, some old lenses like the tessar  you are showing will have swirley boleh, the same way as some old Cmount lenses have it, but the mamiya macro lens from the 80's doesn't have it, it's the adapter that introduces it.

• Super Members

"destroys it", I think this discussion in pointless if you feel any of those images are "destroyed".
My Zeiss FE 35mm f2.8 has so much distortion and aberration that its not even funny. Still its one of the highest regarded lenses in the E-Mount system.
And Ive never seen anyone refer to that as "destroyed".

In short, I think you and I are to far appart in our opinions on this matter and we will never agree so lets just leave it at that.
We arent even speaking about the same thing when we use the word "quality". 
Like I've said before some put sharpness on top of the list, others dont. Some think lowlight is important, others care more about colors.
And that doesn't mean that one of them "dont give a shit about quality". It just means that you should lighten up a bit. Its all just opinions and taste.
Even such a word as "expensive" is just a relative opinion and not a fact that you can force or apply to others.

Personally I see no artifacts in the three images above worth writing home about, let alone be upset about.

PS
Thats also enough for today. I will post more info when Ive shot more with the adapter.
Until then I leave you all with Mats review .

Sorry if it had already been posted.

I'd never expected that Mattias Burling would ever touch a Sony camera. He used to be an avid Sony hater (the only Sony I saw on his youtube channel was an FS100). And now, he is here as an evangelist of Sony technology. Hmm. On the other hand, he is really a knowledgeable guy, and worth reading his articles, and watching his videos, absolutely. On this topic he is delivering really great contents, so a big thanks, that he is taking the time of sharing his experimenting. I am a recent fan of medium format film photography, and I guess I'd change from Mamiya 6x7 over to Mamiya 6x4.5. I've been quite reluctant to buy anything smaller than FF (Kleinbild); so this thread of discussion was revelational to me: no GH5, no A6500 to me. I'll buy the first A7 with 4K and touch screen along with this adapter; touch-to-magnify for manual focusing while recording video is so brilliant on Sony.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Miklos Nemeth said:

He used to be an avid Sony hater (the only Sony I saw on his youtube channel was an FS100). 

On my youtube you will find that I have had an A7 before and made a very positive review.

You will also see that I bought the A7ii, A7sii, a6000, a6300, rx100, rx100ii, rx100iv and a Z3.

Not exactly a hater imo :)

Its just that Sony does alot of things that makes me question them. And I speak my mind about it.

On 2/23/2017 at 6:59 AM, TwoScoops said:

6x9 is obviously slightly wider than 6x7, but 645 is the APS-C.

This graphic shows it quite clearly:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ec/35mm_MF_LF_Comparison.svg

For a medium format discussion, that graphic should orient the 645 frame vertically (portrait) to demonstrate the shared relationship of the "6" dimension.  The "6" stands for six centimeters -- the typical usable width of 120/220 roll film.  So, 645, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9 respectively have frame sizes of 6cmx4.5cm, 6cmx6cm, 6cmx7cm and 6cmx9cm.  All of these frames share the 6cm width of 120/220 film.

The 6x6 square frame is the classic TLR and Hasselblad format, and some Bronica SLRs started with 6x6.  As I recall 6x4.5 backs/cameras appeared in the early/mid 1970s, and 6x7 and 6x9 cameras a little later in the decade

On 2/23/2017 at 7:11 AM, Mattias Burling said:

Here are some other images from the Mamiya adapter and Macro lens that shows that the "issue" really isn't any "issue".

33027503136_dd89acef76_z.jpg

33069167405_5949d58f6e_z.jpg

On this one the detail can be shown quite effectively. The image is already cropped btw.
If you click on it and full screen and serve the towers, then click to zoom in, and you will see these thin wires appearing going down from the roof of each tower.
Makes me really want to try the A7r.

32687061320_b9b4442e73_z.jpg

Wow!  I really love this focal reducer!  I would get one if I could afford it and a FF Sony mirrorless camera and if I could get my Mamiya gear from my ex-sister-in-law.

• Super Members

This has little to do with the adapter but since an A7 or Leica is mandatory for it to work.
And people still ask me about the A7 as a stills camera three years after my review of its video features.
I thought a quick review could be interesting to some.

There is some footage of the Kipon Reducer and samples at the end.

Really nice video, thanks for sharing!

Please post some video footage with the adapter. I know you are not satisfied with the video quality of the original A7 after shooting such a good cameras like Red, BMC, A6300, but everyone is waiting for how the medium format video look!

Im really curious how the "look" differs compared to a bright FF lens. For example background blur rendering, 80mm F4 with Kipon speedbooster vs Minolta 50mm F1.7@2.8. Roughly same fov and DOF.

• Super Members
18 minutes ago, Deadcode said:

Really nice video, thanks for sharing!

Please post some video footage with the adapter. I know you are not satisfied with the video quality of the original A7 after shooting such a good cameras like Red, BMC, A6300, but everyone is waiting for how the medium format video look!

Im really curious how the "look" differs compared to a bright FF lens. For example background blur rendering, 80mm F4 with Kipon speedbooster vs Minolta 50mm F1.7@2.8. Roughly same fov and DOF.

I will, the quality of the A7 is good enough to test it. Also I plan on borrowing an A7sii from a colleague.
The problem is that I worked over the weekend last week and therefor have spent this week and weekend with my family enjoying the nice winter weather.
Taking some photos at the same time is no problem but lugging a tripod and a bunch of lenses and having them waiting for me all the time is less popular :)

I will shoot video the upcoming week and hopefully have the entire review ready next weekend or the week after.
I have a trip planned which could give some cool images.

Also I wanted to get the Zeiss Jena 80mm at home first so I can compare to the Mamiya 80mm f1.9.

I will also do some side by side with my Mamiya film camera to see how they differ.
Just bought a new 645 house that included yet another 80mm f1.9 for free :)