Transferring large uncompressed video files via cloud

SR

Recently I tried uploading uncompressed video files (the largest at 100GB) only to find out that the individual file size limit is 2GB in Microsoft's OneDrive. Any idea on which service you've used would allow for up to 100GB (per file) upload? Should I break up the file, would that be more reliable?

I ask because the language is confusing. For example, Dropbox says: "Files uploaded via the desktop app or mobile apps have no file size limit," but I'm uncertain if it refers to the individual files.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, SR said:

Recently I tried uploading uncompressed video files (the largest at 100GB) only to find out that the individual file size limit is 2GB in Microsoft's OneDrive. Any idea on which service you've used would allow for up to 100GB (per file) upload? Should I break up the file, would that be more reliable?

I ask because the language is confusing. For example, Dropbox says: "Files uploaded via the desktop app or mobile apps have no file size limit," but I'm uncertain if it refers to the individual files.

All I know is that Google Drive only allow 5GB individual file sizes. Whenever mine are bigger I just trim them into smaller files using Quicktime (not losing any footage) and upload them sequentially with some overlap at either end of each file so as to be sure that I have everything. Perhaps Dropbox is referring to folders containing individual files being of any size - I have folders containing clips with a total value of 20GB plus but with no individual file bigger than 5GB.

A friend explained it's easy for large files to get corrupt during uploading, and sometimes the cloud tries to reupload when connection fails. So I've opted to breakup the files into 700mb sizes using 7-zip for the bigger files and uploading to Google Drive (no idea on its max file size). 

2 hours ago, SR said:

A friend explained it's easy for large files to get corrupt during uploading, and sometimes the cloud tries to reupload when connection fails. So I've opted to breakup the files into 700mb sizes using 7-zip for the bigger files and uploading to Google Drive (no idea on its max file size). 

I agree, splitting into smaller files makes sense since even if one gets corrupted or you connection gets interrupted you don't have to re-upload the whole thing. 

10 hours ago, Jaime Valles said:

It's generally easier, faster and cheaper for me to just mail a hard drive with return postage included (at least in the US using Priority Mail flat-rate packages). Anything over 5GB requires paid subscriptions, and postage is cheap.

Dropbox does generally feel "sounder". Wish I had gone for that. I like how the uploaded files have checks in my computer's folders. I went with Google Drive, which seems quite buggy to me. Sometimes I'm able to right click their icon, other times I'm not. I sent a complaint after not getting my upgrade 1 hour later, and they decided to refund (which I did not ask for) 6 hours later at night whilst I was sleeping. So my uploads got stuck at 15GB. I had to resubscribe in the morning. Man, that pissed me off. I have a 15Mbps, so it's not the fastest.

9 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

I agree, splitting into smaller files makes sense since even if one gets corrupted or you connection gets interrupted you don't have to re-upload the whole thing. 

Yea, it's great for slower connections and faster connections alike. (In case the other party downloading has a slow connection, too.)

UPDATE: Unlike Dropbox, it's difficult to tell from a glance which files have been uploaded. I had put up 50GB of files in its folder, only to discover 25GB had been uploaded. The software was telling me syncing was finished (bullshit). I had to restart my computer (for some reason it sometimes takes forever to close the Google Drive software) before it started syncing again. Now I don't trust it and am through the files individually (pain in the ass). 

I would just use torrent based transfer, that ensures the data is correct when it arrives. You can even use your own php based tracker if needed. It's a bit more manual but could be set up with scripting to automate some things I guess. It is robust and won't complain if interrupted etc. You could even make or rent a "seedbox" if many clients are going to download the files.

https://syncthing.net/ is a similar tool to sync folders except you have your own devices. Tried it a long time ago but have not dabbled with it since. Easiest would maybe combine it with vpn for a "local" sync to avoid opening things to the internet.

https://owncloud.org/ is another option for private cloud, have not tried it tho.

14 hours ago, no_connection said:

I would just use torrent based transfer, that ensures the data is correct when it arrives. You can even use your own php based tracker if needed. It's a bit more manual but could be set up with scripting to automate some things I guess. It is robust and won't complain if interrupted etc. You could even make or rent a "seedbox" if many clients are going to download the files.

https://syncthing.net/ is a similar tool to sync folders except you have your own devices. Tried it a long time ago but have not dabbled with it since. Easiest would maybe combine it with vpn for a "local" sync to avoid opening things to the internet.

https://owncloud.org/ is another option for private cloud, have not tried it tho.

Some interesting options. Thanks for that!

And I'm a reluctant with torrents, as my net will be far slower than the client's. 

Try Mega - it's very fast to download & not sure if there's a file limit for upload. I was recently sent some footage via Mega & it was a breeze to download - much easier/quicker than Dropbox et al, which are seriously lacking.

Oh, and to boot, it's completely encrypted as well!

Free too!

You can get a seedbox, which is basically a bittorent client with disk space and good internet, once it is uploaded to it they can download as fast as they please. And if they want, they can help seeding too. Finding one that is meant for normal things might be harder as most is used for less than shady purposes.

https://www.online.net/en is one example, you could use it to host your own file server if needed as well from what I see. 10€/month seems to be pretty common price.

How much space do you need?

*edit*

If you go snailmail route please include checksum to see if file is intact when it arrives. I have used http://www.exactfile.com/ several times to generate and check files.

I also used SugarSync, but they started to have issues, as in my cleats could not always access the files I sent? Anyway Dropbox has been very solid for those clients, I often send 5 segments each file 5GB and it uploads really fast, I do have Fios at about 75-100 Mbps so that helps, the files I'm sending are 422 ProRes, I love it when things work!

14 hours ago, Tim Sewell said:

Now THAT's interesting! This might actually work out to be cheaper than mailing hard drives. I just signed up for an account. Whenever I have a need to send something large I'll try it out and report back here.